Onkyo TX-8255

Another day, another new topic thread that probably doesn't need to be created but here we are, might as well make the best of it.

I'm planning on getting myself a stereo receiver to hook up the new Pro-Ject Debut Carbon I have shipping to me in hopefully mid-March. I've been doing research and at first I was thinking that I should just get the Sherwood RX-4109 but I'm not sure if it's a durable enough unit for what I want. I'm looking to buy new bookshelf speakers with it (looking at Sony or possibly the Dayton Audio ones that run $50 on Amazon) or if I can get a nice pair of floorstanding speakers at Goodwill or something maybe go that route. Anyway, I just saw the listing on Amazon for the Onkyo TX-8255 and it looks like it might be a better unit than the Sherwood. I already have an Onkyo 7.1 receiver that I'm using and I like it for Blu-rays and my PS3 (although my turntable running through an AUX input with an external preamp was hardly loud enough for the unit to pump out, but I attribute that to the fact that it's a home theater receiver dedicated to mostly gaming and movies, not turntable listening).....so enough rambling is the Onkyo a good deal at $170 or does anybody else have a better recommendation for a stereo receiver with phono input and grounding for less than $200? 

I currently use an Onkyo 5.1 system with pre amp, it's loud as sin. Have you set the pre amp up properly...or is the pre amp any good?

Well if it's any consolation, I have to turn up my system up into the 40 range just to get "listenable" sound from my movies and stuff. The preamp I have is a cheap one I got from Amazon, the ART DJPRE II. It has lights on it that let me know if the "gain" level is going to high and I always felt I was going to blow my speakers out if they went to into the red. 

I have an Onkyo 7.2 receiver also.  I had the same problem as you, where the volume through the aux input was WAY too low.  It's actually fixable (In my case).  My unit, SR-608, had "Intellivolume."  This was an area wher all inputs were set at a relative "0" db, and you could change the 0 to +12 or -12 db.  This feature is for setting all inputs to an equall listenning level, and not having to turn the volume way up or down every time you change source.  Really i think it creates more of a problem than intelli anything.

I also set turned all my speaker levels up a few dbs to make it even more loud, cause changing the intellivlume was just not ear peircing enough. 

I would think a sub 200$ receiver is not too much of an upgrade from your onkyo, not sure though.  What model do you have currently?  If the intellivolume fixes the issue i would just use the Onkyo.  If you are to buy a dedicated amp for your turntable or sometthing that would be better.  It doesnt make sense to buy a receiver for a turntable.  You would be paying for a lot of features you don't use for 2 channel analog listenning if you buy a 5.1 receiver...

You would be paying for a lot of features you don't use for 2 channel analog listenning if you buy a 5.1 receiver...

This x10000. Some people don't realize that that a $500 integrated usually has better guts than a $500 receiver...

And yes, most people want 5.1 surround sound for TV and movies... but I can guarantee that good 2 or 2.1 setup will thoroughly impress people.