Oblivion - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

I'd say another reason Drive sold out is people know the soundtrack. I mean, yeah, we can all go listen to this one but I mean people who generally WOULDN'T search that out. Drive wasn't new when Mondo dropped that vinyl, it's been out, it built a fan base. Drive has a big cult following, it's an awesome movie a lot of people love and when it comes to soundtracks that matters (both to collectors and flippers.)

I, personally, don't have any interest in this release. I have no interest in the film, first off. And that matters to me. If I don't like or haven't seen the film, I do NOT have the same connection to the soundtrack. Now to the music. It's not BAD, it's just not something I like enough to plunk $30 down on in vinyl form. 

All that coupled with what's already been said I'm not surprised. Even Deadly Spawn and Poltergeist didn't sell out nearly as fast as Drive.

Ill never understand how a movie's soundtrack is dependent on a movie being good or not??? I know plenty of movies that suck with great soundtracks. This opinion is really confusing to me.

Tron was a killer soundtrack yet I thought the movie was generally mediocre.

I do.

It is black and, sadly, arrived with about an inch seam split on the top of the jacket. I could show pics.

$20ppd if you want it. Money must be sent as a gift.

Id buy it if I didnt already have it. $12 off for some very minor issue like a seam split on a soldout record? Quite a deal!

Oooooo... I would've called dibs on it or tried to snatch it for myself, but then I got to "Seam split."

That sucks.

Hahaha. Yeah I know. That is why I'm am selling it a little below cost. I was bummed too, only one from them that arrived way. But if someone isn't quite as particular, maybe it's a good deal. The LP is unplayed. 

I'll try to explain my opinion on it. First I'll say there's always some exceptions. But the two are linked. Like lyrics and music. What if a song has awesome music butthe lyrics are crap? That's kind of how it is for me. I'll remember that crap movie and the good music gets dumped all over. Or the music will just be ok but the movie was great and when I listen those feelings rush back and accentuate the score.

Oblivions music, to me, is just ok. Drives I love. Add on that I love the film Drive, it's a double whammy. Add on that Oblivion looks like garbage to me and I dislike the cast and boom, zero interest in some ok music.

I'll try to explain my opinion on it. First I'll say there's always some exceptions. But the two are linked. Like lyrics and music. What if a song has awesome music butthe lyrics are crap? That's kind of how it is for me. I'll remember that crap movie and the good music gets dumped all over. Or the music will just be ok but the movie was great and when I listen those feelings rush back and accentuate the score.

Oblivions music, to me, is just ok. Drives I love. Add on that I love the film Drive, it's a double whammy. Add on that Oblivion looks like garbage to me and I dislike the cast and boom, zero interest in some ok music.

It's more than fine to justify not buying the soundtrack if you're not in love with the music.  I completely disagree that there is this "link" that you mention though.  Music is music.  Film is film.  They're only tied together when watching the movie.  Since you haven't seen the movie, this "link" that you mention is currently non-existent.  If you're not into film scores, that's fine too.  It's not for everyone.  

I love Drive (both movie and soundtrack), but if I hated the movie, I'd still love the soundtrack because it sounded good.

Also I've seen enough movies to know if I hate the cast I can tell I'll dislike the film. So yeah there's about a 1% chance I'll enjoy it. I'm confident enough in myself to be sure I'll dislike it or just think it's meh.

But for me, the music and film are linked. Doesn't need to be that way for everyone.

Seems a bit close-minded to already judge a movie based on a cast of actors. Writers and directors play a far bigger role in a movies quality than the actors do anyways. I dont care much for Brad Pitt but Fight Club and Snatch are a couple of my favorite movies of all-time.

Regardless, Ill argue this so-called link you refer to, till the cows come home because ultimately when you drop that needle, youre not watching a film. Its very easy to compartmentalize the 2 separate entities. If you cant, its a missed opportunity, IMO.

no one is arguing. Just voicing opinions, same as you. I really dislike Tom cruise. but his roll in this was very subtle. I disagree with the "link" aspect being needed also. it's a beautiful score. that's why I bought it! no one needs to justify buying or not though!

Buy the blu-ray if you love the movie, buy the soundtrack if you love the music. Buy both if you love the whole thing. Seems pretty black and white to me.

Whatever man, I'd say it's equally close minded to not accept my POV on soundtracks being linked. There's nothing to argue though. It's an opinion. Subjective, it's what's wonderful about art. We can all have different views and opinions no matter how we look at things whether it's intentional or not.

I totally respect how you can separate them. I can't even when I try, I know lots of people like that. Because you disagree doesn't make it less valid. I mean Im just some turd on the internet and was just putting out my opinion. Not telling people they suck for liking or disliking this no matter what the reason. If I got taken that way, sorry, so whatever.

listening to this again, i can't help but notice a lot of similarities to zimmer's recent work. halfway through "you can't save her" sounds exactly like the music in the TDKR prologue, and the progression in the melody is a definite nod to another theme from that soundtrack. it doesn't really bother me though--i really dig this soundtrack. probably my favorite since cloud atlas.

Whatever man, I'd say it's equally close minded to not accept my POV on soundtracks being linked. There's nothing to argue though. It's an opinion. Subjective, it's what's wonderful about art. We can all have different views and opinions no matter how we look at things whether it's intentional or not.

I totally respect how you can separate them. I can't even when I try, I know lots of people like that. Because you disagree doesn't make it less valid. I mean Im just some turd on the internet and was just putting out my opinion. Not telling people they suck for liking or disliking this no matter what the reason. If I got taken that way, sorry, so whatever.

Thing is, there's no link here for you because you've never seen the movie.  I understand if you're listening to Star Wars and you hear the opening theme music, and you want to picture the movie's prologue in your head.  I get that link but it really has nothing to do with the actual sound processing into your brain, in which your emotional senses can either find enjoyable or not.  That being said, if you haven't seen the movie, nor plan on ever seeing it, there is literally no link to be had and you can always keep it that way if you like...  

I just think it would have been a much easier case for you to make if you had kept it simple and said "I don't really enjoy the soundtrack so I'm going to pass on it."  That way you don't need to give others an opinion on a movie you haven't seen.  Seems kind of silly to do so, right?

listening to this again, i can't help but notice a lot of similarities to zimmer's recent work. halfway through "you can't save her" sounds exactly like the music in the TDKR prologue, and the progression in the melody is a definite nod to another theme from that soundtrack.

Exactly what was going through my mind when I listened to it earlier today!

Also, I don't think it's close-minded at all to keep the link separate between a film and it's score.  They're both 2 different pieces of art.  One is visual and one is audio.  You can value either independently of each other pretty easily if you're open to doing so.

I just could never see myself hating a masterful film score, because the movie was underwhelming.  Nor would I ever fluff a mediocre film score to a movie that was absolutely fantastic.

I think if that "link" is so critical, it's probably best to just enjoy it through the movie than to buy it on vinyl anyways.

This whole discussion actually reminds me of the time when Fight Club first came out.  I was in a movie theater and the previews for Fight Club first came out and after it was over, I remember thinking how stupid that movie looked and that I couldn't believe somebody thought that was a good idea for a movie.  Wow, was I completely wrong on that one?  Haha.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to my weird train of thought. And yeah there are exceptions, I said that. Overall we have to agree to disagree then. I'm honest enough with myself to be comfortable with the small bit of biased all humans are prone to. It's no big deal bro.

One other point is, yeah, I haven't seen the film. So no link is there. So I'm not super into the score. I listened, it's OK, maybe if I saw the film and was blown away I'd appreciate it more. On it's own, it's not for me. That's PART of it. Another point I was making of why the Drive may have gone faster vs. this (since that was the topic when I posted originally.) 

I was just giving other reasons it may not have sold as fast as Drive. If it got taken any other way, my bad.