New York City record shops

feel free to hit me up  but here's a short list of some great shops..

Generation - great new punk / hardcore / some used.

Other Music - experimental / indie rock

Academy (there's three, one in the east village which is pretty small and the one in Brooklyn is quite big) - good used stuff and rare stuff

Kim's - terribly managed store but has some great stock. 

Coop 87 - (in brooklyn) - has some affliation to Mexican Summer / Captured Tracks, so has some great stuff.  small store.

there are some other good shops.

Record Grouch, Halycon (more EDM), and a few others.

Bleeker St. is alright as well and close to Generation. Same owner and they tend to tilt the punk/HC/metal stuff more to Generation. That said they have some cool stuff in there always and are worth a trip. My last stop in at Bleeker Bobs a few weeks back was the most depressing yet. 

Bleeker Bob's is closing for good in May.

Yeah, the dude who runs that store is an interesting character:

http://www.dustandgrooves.com/jeff-ogiba-brooklyn-ny/

Jeff knows his shit..  I am friendly with him and he really knows his hardcore / punk..

whenever I go there it's packed with pretty amazing old emo / hardcore / punk / dischord shit..

generally cool stuff.  it's called Black Gold and it's on Court Street in Park Slope.

if you like that sort of stuff, he has some great stuff

Where is Kims still open? 

Also, the Academy in Manhattan only sells classical vinyl. 

Kim's is on 1st avenue between 7th and St Marks.

Also that's the other Academy.  The one in the east village sells rock and punk and used stuff. 

It's on East 12th between 1st ave and Avenue A

they're both in my hood.  I got to them a lot.

That's Bleeker Bob's. Different store.

Are you sure? I know Bob's is closing, I feel like I just read something recently about Bleeker Street.

EDIT: Yep. I jumped the gun a bit though, it's not officially closing yet. It might once the lease expires.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/16/bleecker-street-records-in-the-village-may-soon-close-due-to-rent-hike/

Are you sure? I know Bob's is closing, I feel like I just read something recently about Bleeker Street.

EDIT: Yep. I jumped the gun a bit though, it's not officially closing yet. It might once the lease expires.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/16/bleecker-street-records-in-the-village-may-soon-close-due-to-rent-hike/

News actually came out last week that it's officially closing. http://nyulocal.com/city/2013/03/07/record-store-bleecker-bobs-closing-in-may-froyo-to-replace-it/

When I visited I made it to Generation Records which was fantastic. Lots of newer stuff up on the top level. A lot of used stuff on the bottom. 

Bleeker St. records was cool. Lots and lots to comb through. I really like the cats that live there.

I made it to a Academy Records I believe in Brooklyn which was pretty cool. Then it just so happened that they were having a Brooklyn Record Fair that day. Lots of indie labels there. 

Definitely check out Generation Records. 

• 1 month later...

Bleeker Bob's closed for good on Saturday - it was a half-price sale all day, so I picked up some great stuff (David Bowie/Mick Jagger "Dancing In The Streets" test pressing for $12 was the high-point).

The Academy on 18th off 6th is mostly classical, but has a lot of avant garde jazz/prog/obscure new wave (Translator as opposed to the usual Thompson Twins, etc). It's right near my job, so I always stop in every few weeks - I never spend much, but I always find something.