New York City record shops

Is Kim's DVD and Books open somewhere else? I remember how rad that store was. I had a Kim Yong Man shirt I wore frequently in high school, which creeped some people out

I only know of the one I was referencing up there... the cross streets could be off. I'm terrible at remembering exactly where things are. It's still pretty rad though, I poked around for a bit there yesterday.

Well if you're not there by Saturday you'll miss Sound Fix which is closing.  It's a Shame...That was a great Brooklyn store when it was on Bedford.  Got shoved out by a new high rise and the new location- only one block down- killed the biz. 

Record Grouch in Brooklyn is a great store.  A ton of obscure 60s-70s psych rock.  Small store but still more selection of that genre than any store I've ever been to.  They also have a nice little rotating new arrivals bin.  Scored some good stuff in there.

• 6 years later...

Academy, Limited To One, Turntable Lab, and Generation are all within walking distance. I would start with Academy and work in the order that I listed. Generation has a hit or miss selection of used but them and Turntable Lab will have all of the newer releases.

1 hour ago, smailtronic said:

Going to NYC in a couple weeks bump. Limited to One is squarely at the top of my list; any other good options that tilt toward that vein of newer rock/punk/etc? Generation and Academy Annex still decent options?

Depending how long you're staying in the area and your ability to venture to Jersey, I highly recommend Princeton Record Exchange (in, you guessed it, Princeton) and Vintage Vinyl (in Fords). Those are the state's best records stores in my opinion.

4 hours ago, jerseypride said:

Depending how long you're staying in the area and your ability to venture to Jersey, I highly recommend Princeton Record Exchange (in, you guessed it, Princeton) and Vintage Vinyl (in Fords). Those are the state's best records stores in my opinion.

As a Jersey resident close to Manhattan, you could prob skip these

They're fine shops but the trip is a chore and it definitely isn't worth it with all the Brooklyn/Manhattan options 

VV is a nice change of space though, you'll definitely have a lot more room to comfortably browse than like anywhere else, it's huge 

11 hours ago, sewnmouth said:

I would definitely check out Human Head in Brooklyn, lot's of good stuff there. As mentioned above, Generation is really good and Academy records (I think there's 2 of them). 

+1

Also, definitely Rough Trade. Try to catch a show there too if you can. A little pricey but it's dope AF and huge. Need to check out even if you're not buying anything. 

If you have a friend in Jersey, I also recommend Princeton Record Exchange. The town is cool enough to warrant spending an afternoon. Only if you have the time though. Vintage is a better version of Looney Tunes out on Long Island if that provides any context. It's awesome but Princeton is a better excuse to travel if you're just in town for a bit.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:06 PM, smailtronic said:

Going to NYC in a couple weeks bump. Limited to One is squarely at the top of my list; any other good options that tilt toward that vein of newer rock/punk/etc? Generation and Academy Annex still decent options?

The shops in Greenpoint are where I spend most of my time. Best are Record Grouch, Captured Tracks and Academy Annex, but there are a couple others that can be covered in between if you have time. All pretty close together, and Peter Pan Donuts is excellent for a coffee break.
Rough Trade in nearby Williamsburg is fine, but I rarely buy new stuff at a store and that’s all they do.

The only shops I’ve liked in Manhattan for used selection are Other Music (now closed) and Ltd to 1. Everywhere else, the prices tend to be stupid. 

On 12/30/2019 at 8:06 PM, smailtronic said:

I am a bit partial (since I own LTO) but in our hood (east village, manhattan) you can hit four more different record stores.  there's Turntable Lab (lots of new stuff, great hip hop selection and have some cool store exclusives, no used tho.), there's us (down the street from ttl)... then Academy 12th street (it's a good shop that have some cool used stuff but sometimes it'll be hit or miss to find something you're looking for..),  Stranded Records (which used to be Good Records but changed owners)..  they're good for like soul, hip hop, world and some other rock but not a ton of used contemporary.  and then there's A1, this is definitely a great place to find a real gem however, they don't really take care of their stock and you're definitely going to have to get on your hands and knees to find some good stuff.  (I bought a misfits record from them for my collection like five years ago, it cost me 80 dols and it was on the wall without a sleeve on it..).  and it sounds like you know about us..  so thanks for that.

Brooklyn has some great spots..  but one place I didn't see mentioned recently was Material World (used to be Heaven St.)..  they have some awesome punk / metal and underground stuff,.  Also Brooklyn Record Exchange is new and is co owned by some people who used to run CoOp 87 back in the day.  (he was also in the screamo band Funeral Diner)...  however I don't see them getting lots of newer contemporary used in either..  but to go there once and awhile, you're bound to find some awesome shit for cheap.

hope that helps.

kristian / limited to one.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I like the proximity of those East and West Village spots. I'll be over in Brooklyn for a day so hopefully I can squeeze some of those in too. Sadly my only time in Jersey will be a day trip  in and out of EWR, but hopefully I can make it further out there some other day.

Edit: I just realized you bumped a goddamn 6 year old thread.

Listen to @GradedOnACurve. Don't listen to BossDJ.

Go to Limited to One for the best selection of stuff you're going to be into, but be ready to pay for it and then walk to Generation. Then go to Brooklyn and go to Human Head and Academy Annex and find all the deals. Don't waste your time with Rough Trade unless you want to buy overpriced new records that you can get wherever you're from. Turntable Lab and Academy Manhattan are worth a stop in since they're so close to the other Manhattan Stores. Make sure you ask for the happy ending at TTL

Edited by shenanigans

Limited To One, Academy Annex and Generations are all the correct answers, but I also wanted to recommend Black Gold in Cobble Hill. Combination record store/coffee shop in a really cool part of Brooklyn that has a relatively small but well curated selection of mostly used stuff. 

https://instagram.com/blackgoldrecords?igshid=1w9kflvbifucy

Thanks to smailtronic for this thread bump as I'll also be in New York in a week's time.

Aside from the type of stuff we're all generally interested in around here, I'd be interested to know of any shops that carry a lot of 45s, preferably an absurd amount of 45s.

Would any of you resident New Yorkers be willing to converse with me via PM about some basic questions about the city as well as some recommendations? 

Edited by chiefwahoo