Jump to content

New York City record shops


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, chiefwahoo said:

Aside from the type of stuff we're all generally interested in around here, I'd be interested to know of any shops that carry a lot of 45s, preferably an absurd amount of 45s.

Happy to be corrected by others, but Academy Annex probably has the most 45s (though perhaps not an “absurd amount”) without being junky. They keep some boxes of more valuable stuff behind the counter, so ask for those too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The shops in Greenpoint are where I spend most of my time. Best are Record Grouch, Captured Tracks and Academy Annex, but there are a couple others that can be covered in between if you have time. All

I am a bit partial (since I own LTO) but in our hood (east village, manhattan) you can hit four more different record stores.  there's Turntable Lab (lots of new stuff, great hip hop selection and hav

Depending how long you're staying in the area and your ability to venture to Jersey, I highly recommend Princeton Record Exchange (in, you guessed it, Princeton) and Vintage Vinyl (in Fords). Those ar

14 hours ago, scottheisel said:

Limited To One, Academy Annex and Generations are all the correct answers, but I also wanted to recommend Black Gold in Cobble Hill. Combination record store/coffee shop in a really cool part of Brooklyn that has a relatively small but well curated selection of mostly used stuff. 

 

https://instagram.com/blackgoldrecords?igshid=1w9kflvbifucy

Black Gold is cool. And right around the corner is Almost Ready Records. I finally went there after passing it on the way to the tunnel and I was pleasantly surprised. Much bigger stock than Black Gold. New and used. 

 

13 hours ago, chiefwahoo said:

Thanks to smailtronic for this thread bump as I'll also be in New York in a week's time.

 

Aside from the type of stuff we're all generally interested in around here, I'd be interested to know of any shops that carry a lot of 45s, preferably an absurd amount of 45s.

 

Would any of you resident New Yorkers be willing to converse with me via PM about some basic questions about the city as well as some recommendations? 

I’ve been in the city for quite a while and maybe can help depending on that you need help with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2020 at 10:45 PM, KyleHL said:

Black Gold is cool. And right around the corner is Almost Ready Records. I finally went there after passing it on the way to the tunnel and I was pleasantly surprised. Much bigger stock than Black Gold. New and used. 

 

I’ve been in the city for quite a while and maybe can help depending on that you need help with. 

I’d be happy to help as well! Feel free to PM me. I’ve been in NYC for about 2 and a half years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 7:44 PM, shenanigans said:

Edit: I just realized you bumped a goddamn 6 year old thread.

 

Listen to @GradedOnACurve. Don't listen to BossDJ.

 

Go to Limited to One for the best selection of stuff you're going to be into, but be ready to pay for it and then walk to Generation. Then go to Brooklyn and go to Human Head and Academy Annex and find all the deals. Don't waste your time with Rough Trade unless you want to buy overpriced new records that you can get wherever you're from. Turntable Lab and Academy Manhattan are worth a stop in since they're so close to the other Manhattan Stores. Make sure you ask for the happy ending at TTL

??

 

Did you read my post, haha. Love the internet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, shenanigans said:

I did. You basically recommended a music venue and a store in NJ.

The recco was echoing Human Head, Generation, and  Academy. It's silly to tell someone not to go to Rough Trade while they're already out in Williamsburg. Place is cool as hell for someone visiting even if it's just to browse and grab a coffee. 

 

Princeton was commentary on the prior post and confirmation that it's a really dope record store. It's arguably the best and largest used store in the greater NYC area.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bossdj26 said:

The recco was echoing Human Head, Generation, and  Academy. It's silly to tell someone not to go to Rough Trade while they're already out in Williamsburg. Place is cool as hell for someone visiting even if it's just to browse and grab a coffee. 

 

Princeton was commentary on the prior post and confirmation that it's a really dope record store. It's arguably the best and largest used store in the greater NYC area.  

And my comment was a strong disagree on Rough Trade.  I don't see anything "cool as hell" about it. Everything is overpriced. 99% of the records there can be found in someone's local store and cheaper - maybe even cheaper online even with shipping - and there are much better places to grab a coffee. It's a solid venue. It's a shitty record store.

Princeton is like an hour and a half away by car. Can't say its not a cool area, but I don't think anyone taking a short trip to NYC wants to spend their time traveling 3 hours to go to a record store in NJ or they'd probably have called the thread "Greater NYC Record Stores". Any cool ones in Connecticut?

Edited by shenanigans
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, shenanigans said:

And my comment was a strong disagree on Rough Trade.  I don't see anything "cool as hell" about it. Everything is overpriced. 99% of the records there can be found in someone's local store and cheaper - maybe even cheaper online even with shipping - and there are much better places to grab a coffee. It's a solid venue. It's a shitty record store.

Princeton is like an hour and a half away by car. Can't say its not a cool area, but I don't think anyone taking a short trip to NYC wants to spend their time traveling 3 hours to go to a record store in NJ or they'd probably have called the thread "Greater NYC Record Stores". Any cool ones in Connecticut?

definintely second the thoughts on Rough Trade. you can get the same experience on RT's website (or Amoeba's tbh, and they do free shipping). one exception is they carry a selection of very obvious indie tapes, so if you're looking for new-in-shrink cassettes, might be worth a peep. Limited To One has a pretty solid selection of used/rare tapes too.

Princeton Record Exchange is great, and Princeton the town is super cute, walkable, historic etc (hmu if you do decide to go and want recs). But it's a hike from NYC and really only worth it as a day trip. Imo its best feature is the wall of $2-5 CDs, which is a great way to augment your digital/streaming library if nothing else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, copelandkid said:

Princeton Record Exchange is great, and Princeton the town is super cute, walkable, historic etc (hmu if you do decide to go and want recs). But it's a hike from NYC and really only worth it as a day trip. Imo its best feature is the wall of $2-5 CDs, which is a great way to augment your digital/streaming library if nothing else.

It is, but it's also closer to Philadelphia. I don't think anyone is arguing against this place, but like has been previously stated this thread is about NYC. It's kinda veered from that here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×

oh my wow GIF by ESPN Deportes

 

Please disable AdBlock OR sign-in in order to be able to access our website...

I Understand, I'll disable it for this website