Love Third, especially Moon In June. The last few tunes on Volume Two are my jams as well. I have the 2xLP with the s/t and VT and love listening to them back to back.

I don't know much about fusion besides some of the more obvious musicians: RTF, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Al Di Meola, Weather Report, etc... Out of those I seriously recommend Return to Forever. A few years ago I got to see Chick, Stanley Clarke, and Lenny White play when I was going to school up in Buffalo, and I doubt I'll ever see a better group of musicians play together in my life. My favorite album of theirs is 'Light as a feather' however I believe a good majority see 'Romantic Warrior' as being their best.

Adding to the general discussion, my favorites are the second Miles quintet, Dave Brubeck Quartet, and Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.

Wanted to give some love to Chick Corea and Return To Forever. Not big into his solo stuff, but Return to Forever is amazing fusion.

really want to pick up Kind Of Blue eventually. I see it everywhere now but never want to spend the twenty something dollars to get it. Also, not sure if this counts but I also want some Soft Machine vinyl, since  they were jazz fusion-y.

All I had to do was click that link and I see it on sale for $12.99, hell yes!

The 180 gram reissue for $20 is a solid deal. It probably sounds better than the 80's reissues which are cheap. Kind of Blue is the only jazz album I prefer in Stereo instead of mono. Columbia pressed millions of records, very cheaply too boot, and that's why a lot of those records in the 70's and 80's sound like junk, except Kind of Blue.

I have an original late 50's mono and an 80's stereo and I prefer the stereo for some reason. I've yet to hear a 50's stereo, which I think I would prefer.

Just last week I started digging in to Jazz. These are the albums I have been listening to. They're pretty fucking awesome!

Miles Davis - King Of Blue
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Miles Davis – Birth Of The Cool
Miles Davis – Bitches Brew
John Coltrane -The Gentle Side of John Coltrane
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
John Coltrane - Blue Train
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things
John Coltrane – Giant Steps
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Dave Brubeck - Time out
Thelonius Monk - Monk’s Music
Thelonious Monk--Four by Five by Monk
Duke Ellington - New Orleans Suite
Count Basie - April in Paris

Anyone in here luck out and get Kind of Blue box on Hot Topic for like 90% off at 9.99 or whatever insane clearance price it was a few years ago?!

All this thread needs now is some solid low cost high quality vinyl sale links.

Anyone got any leads?

At least this stuff is relatively easy to come by used... the quality is the variable.

Anyone in here luck out and get Kind of Blue box on Hot Topic for like 90% off at 9.99 or whatever insane clearance price it was a few years ago?!

All this thread needs now is some solid low cost high quality vinyl sale links.

Anyone got any leads?

At least this stuff is relatively easy to come by used... the quality is the variable.

I wish your last comment was true for me. I have been looking for many jazz titles for decades and the problem is mostly the price and actually finding it for sale. Jazz is the true collector's nightmare with the first pressings of early titles by labels like Blue Note regularly fetching $1,000 and up. Once I came across an original mint pressing of Sonny Rollins Vol 1 in mono. The guy wanted $85 and wouldn't go down to $70. Just fucking kicking myself forever. Luckily they are doing some quality reissues on 180 gram now. Also the Mosaic box sets are amazing. I have the Hank Mobley set and it sounds beautiful.

The Blue Note/Music Matters reissue series is amazing. I'm far from a jazz head guy but I've got a few of these and they are among the best sounding records one will find. I made a thread about them a while ago but it got buried by Blink reissues and City and Color variant threads.

The first jazz album I ever actually liked was Jackie McLean's Destination ...Out! So most of my jazz albums are based off that and have McLean, Grachan Moncur III, and Bobby Hutcherson involved in some way.

I wish your last comment was true for me. I have been looking for many jazz titles for decades and the problem is mostly the price and actually finding it for sale. Jazz is the true collector's nightmare with the first pressings of early titles by labels like Blue Note regularly fetching $1,000 and up. Once I came across an original mint pressing of Sonny Rollins Vol 1 in mono. The guy wanted $85 and wouldn't go down to $70. Just fucking kicking myself forever. Luckily they are doing some quality reissues on 180 gram now. Also the Mosaic box sets are amazing. I have the Hank Mobley set and it sounds beautiful.

Love Sonny. But don't fret, it's not like those vol. 1 copies go for anything more http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=sonny+rollins+lp+1957+blue&incldescr=&sortord=dprice&thumbs=&currsel=

Okay, since lexicondevil posted, I've been wanting to do it too. I have a 300 jazz of 45's, but jazz 7"s aren't hard to find. I have 30-40 46 West & 767 Lexington Ave address Blue Note 45's that I got for .25 cent a piece sitting in my closet. Bought to flip a bunch and never got around to it. But mostly just try to grab Miles Davis 45's and I got that 10" for $50 in store credit from the shop I worked at. Otherwise I only buy original pressings which keeps my buying down. There are some things that reissues (Sonny Clark) seem to be the only way to get the record without dropping lots of money. Anyway:

photo(1).JPG

Miles LPs.

photo(2).JPG

Adderly, early Coleman (not a fan of the free jazz) and Coltrane (Ballads hidden in flash):

photo(3).JPG

Terrance Blanchard, Monk, Mobley, Morgan, Hancock, and Bud Powell:
photo.JPG

One of these days I will get my hands on some original pressing of these things, but in the meantime I am fine with reissues and whatnot.

Nice scores though, very jealous!

Jazz on VC!  I've actually drifted a little bit from listening to trad jazz as much as I used to, but I still love listening to Miles' stuff from the late 60s and early 70s.  The jazz and rock hybrid he had going on especially on live albums like Dark Magus and Agharta is totally unique and really satisfying to me - the best of both worlds. 

Without realizing the existence of this thread, I started a set sale with a few jazz titles in it if anyone's interested http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/86636-quick-set-sale-sigur-ros-strokes-yo-la-tengo-pains-jazz/

I'll try to post up some of my OGs sometime.

I just got a 2nd press of John Coltrane Ascension this weekend. Apparently, the first edition has a different take than all subsequent pressings. It's pretty rare so I'm happy to trade for this VG copy.

Also, I traded and bought some stuff and finally got a list updated of jazz (and other things) if anyone is interested in seeing what I got for sale/trade: http://deadformat.net/topic/39498

I just got a 2nd press of John Coltrane Ascension this weekend. Apparently, the first edition has a different take than all subsequent pressings. It's pretty rare so I'm happy to trade for this VG copy.

Also, I traded and bought some stuff and finally got a list updated of jazz (and other things) if anyone is interested in seeing what I got for sale/trade: http://deadformat.net/topic/39498

I used to have immaculate mint copy of Ascension first edition. I just couldn't appreciate it and remember selling it for a nice chunk of change. I don't know what I would think about it now. It is a very challenging record, really in the same way that Converge was challenging for me when I first heard them.

For whatever reason, I think I'm going to give this record a shot, even though it's the start of his free jazz portion of his music and I've been on a personal rage against free jazz in my collection (just decided to part w/ 3-4 Ornette Coleman records). I didn't like the Coleman's Double Quartet for "Free Jazz" because it sounds like, for lack of better words, 'noise'. That album inspired this one. But there was something about sampling the record that just made me want to give it a shot because it's Coltrane and I tend to think of him as the best saxophonist.

We shall see. Someone trade me some wants for this jazz I want to part with.

i love jazz.  more than most, i'd say.  I studied music when I first went to college, played trumpet for 15 years, played in everything I could, went to jazz clubs with classmates/professors in college, but I cant tell you much about specific albums and artists... there are just too damn many great ones out there. 

never really got into Miles, which is seriously insane since I was a trumpet major.  I was more into Armstrong for trumpet

greatest combo chart ever?  take five.

I loved big band, still do, but I was really obsessed in high school/college with Buddy Bregman, Count Basie, Stan Kenton, et. al basically because I loved the layers within the charts, especially during solos, cant explain.  Best tribute album I can recommend is the Buddy Rich tribute, Burning For Buddy, where they have all different drummers play charts... played a handful of those in high school/college, so awesome. 

• 3 weeks later...

Semi-off-topic...
I bought a bunch of records off a dude on Discogs and they were all supposed to be NM/M- and one of them (Art Blakey & the Jazz Messenger - Buttercorn Lady) is a little scratched on Side B (nothing intolerable, but certainly not NM!).

I emailed him about it and he said to just see if there was anything else in his store that I wanted of equal value and that we would just mail on another the records (me returning Blakey and him sending me the new one).

The snag, though, is that I realized that he sold me the Stereo pressing thinking it was the Mono pressing and supposedly (I'm completely basing this off of the Discogs prices) the Stereo pressing is worth waaaaay more than the Mono (which seems kind of counterintuitive, but whatever.)
So what do I do?
I kind of feel like there should be a repercussion for misleading on the grading, but I'd rather hold onto this LP... just let it be?

I was just in Hawaii and was checking out an antiques/thrift store for aloha shirts. In the back of the store they had a bunch of records. I started looking and thinking that I wouldn't find crap, but started seeing some interesting titles, then some wow titles. Most of the stuff was in iffy condition and it was painful seeing great titles and pulling out a scratched to hell record. The stuff wasn't priced and the guy was using the good old internet to price them on the spot. It worked out in my favor for the ones I bought.

I didn't know anything about the one on the right except that it was small label and Prince Lawsha was playing on it. The guy couldn't find any price references, but I got him to sell it for $25. Popsike says it sold for $190. I spent $50 for all three.

IMAG0497.jpg