never really got into Miles, which is seriously insane since I was a trumpet major.  I was more into Armstrong for trumpet

That really isn't THAT insane. Miles wasn't necessarily a fantastic trumpet player in the same vein as virtuosos like Dizzy Gillespie, Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, etc. He was mostly praised for putting together some great bands, and being at the forefront of many musical shifts/movements in jazz from bebop to cool jazz to modal jazz to fusion. 

Although Miles isn't one of my top 5 trumpet players, from a soloist perspective, he led some of my absolute favorite albums ever: Kind of Blue, Miles Smiles, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, In A Silent Way, Miles Ahead, Milestones.

Hey Lex, what antique/thrift store are you talking about?

South or north of Kailua-Kona on the Big Island? Towards the volcano. I don't know the name, but there are a lot of little shops in the same area. I really had to use my fast digging fingers because my wife was waiting. She was cool, but after about 30 minutes I was feeling kinda bad digging for records while we were in paradise. The guy's prices were all over the place and some of the quotes were ridiculous. I was thinking I might find some good punk or rock and was surprised at the plentiful jazz. If you're going there I have a lot of good food and fun recommendations. Just PM me.

Glad to see this thread on here.

The first jazz album I bought in high school was Coltrane's Giant Steps. I HATED it -- especially the title track and Countdown.

Funny. I love Giant Steps but hated A Love Supreme for the longest time, especially since I already revere him. But when I first heard it, the chanting 'a love supreme' annoyed the shit out of me. Nice contribution to the thread.

As far as new jazz, I can't think of anything I've bought recently. I've been on a soul kick which means I need to bump Lexicon's thread.

• 1 month later...

Man, I was hoping it was on Oahu.

I will have to agree with you though, there is a lot more jazz here than punk rock stuff. I found an original mono Bill Evans Trio '65 in fantastic shape for $8.

When I was in Oahu in the 80's, my friend and I were digging at some record store in Honolulu and found some punk. The one I remember was "Hersham Boys" by Sham 69. I was not into jazz then, but I'm sure I passed a lot of stuff by.

So, I recently got all of the Miles Davis mono reissues that came out in the last year (Miles Ahead, Sketches of Spain, One Day My Prince Will Come, Milestones, Round About Midnight). They were originally released as RSD releases, then got a general release. Mastered by Kevin Gray. They were all $15.99 at my local Fry's.

Hardcore guys may scoff at the fact that the source files are digital, but the end result sounds so damn good. Kevin Gray does fantastic work as far as I'm concerned. 

Anyone compared these to the MoFi releases that just came out yet? 

Funny bump, Lexi.

So recently found two things I was semi-craving. One was a first US pressing of The Zombies second album Odessy and Oracle. The other was this:

tomorrow_is_the_question.jpg

It's Coleman's second proper album. It's very conventional jazz with only moments of free 'interpretation' that he would later become known for. It was $25 and a first pressing deep grove mono copy and I haven't seen any sell for less online. It looked really clean but plays VG+ so I'm pretty pumped.

• 8 months later...

I'm going to read through this thread, but for the sake of conversation...Jazz is such an overwhelming genre, and I haven't established what I like or dislike about it, I just know I like the relaxing feeling, the change of pace and the musicianship that comes with Jazz. 

I don't think I'm too much into horns or brass, I don't know why but too much of those instruments is a turn off for me, which is probably a big red flag when listening to jazz. 

I'm sure I'll find some while browsing this thread but, I'd be into more piano, bass, guitar, other string instruments or percussion focused jazz. Something thats not necessarily filled with horns/brass, or the horns/brass are the main focus. 

It really depends on the type of jazz you are looking for. You can find alot of those instruments in almost all types of jazz but narrowing down what you like can be tough. Best bet is to find styles or genres you like and start diving deeper. It can help alot if you know you tried free jazz and you cant handle the chaos but like more of the 70s funk fusion stuff, etc.

Youtube has been a great help to try an artist or style and open up the rabbit hole of finding alot of new things.

I'm going to read through this thread, but for the sake of conversation...Jazz is such an overwhelming genre, and I haven't established what I like or dislike about it, I just know I like the relaxing feeling, the change of pace and the musicianship that comes with Jazz. 

I don't think I'm too much into horns or brass, I don't know why but too much of those instruments is a turn off for me, which is probably a big red flag when listening to jazz. 

I'm sure I'll find some while browsing this thread but, I'd be into more piano, bass, guitar, other string instruments or percussion focused jazz. Something thats not necessarily filled with horns/brass, or the horns/brass are the main focus. 

I refused to get into jazz for the longest time because I knew it would be complicated and confusing at times. That is exactly what has made it fun. My entry was through funky soul jazz.

I personally love horns, but that doesn't mean you can't still dig jazz without a lot of brass work. There is also crazy bop horns and more mellow horns. If you want mellow, try giving  Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis a try.

Lots of grooving organ work by Jimmy Smith, Charles Kynard, and Big John Patton to name a few.

My fav pianists are Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk, and Andrew Hill. Monk plays some wacky shit.

Getting into jazz would be like getting into rock. Just dive in. After experimentation you will find players you like and it will be fun to hunt down other releases they are on that aren't their own.

Maybe try some Lionel Hampton?

He's a killer vibraphone player and I think he's involved in some groups that aren't very horn-heavy... also played with a lot of horn players, but it's just the first thing that came to mind.

I'm sorry to junk up your thread with newbie talk, but I recently started getting into jazz. Kind of Blue was my jumping off point, and I've branched off from there. I really like Bill Evans' work from around the same period. I'm more into Cannonball's playing on the record than Coltrane's. If any of this is useful knowledge, some suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to sell me a cheap copy of Kind of Blue, PM me! Thanks.

Some jazz I've been getting into, for those who need recommendations: Snarky Puppy : great modern jazz/funk/etc fusion. No vinyl yet, but I heard a box set is supposed to be released sometime this year. Check out their YouTube vids for now. Pat Methaney: insane jazz guitarist, rarely accompanied by horns. Chick Corea: my dad just got me into him. Great jazz pianist, used to play along side bassist Stanley Clark who is just as impressive. I'm really digging his album, Light as a Feather.

I've really fallen in love with jazz over the past year or two. The most impressive genre of music in my opinion. Improvisation adds a fresh element and is probably the most organic energy found in music.

Some jazz I've been getting into, for those who need recommendations: Snarky Puppy : great modern jazz/funk/etc fusion. No vinyl yet, but I heard a box set is supposed to be released sometime this year. Check out their YouTube vids for now. Pat Methaney: insane jazz guitarist, rarely accompanied by horns. Chick Corea: my dad just got me into him. Great jazz pianist, used to play along side bassist Stanley Clark who is just as impressive. I'm really digging his album, Light as a Feather.

Hell yeah, Chick Corea is great. I actually got to meet him once when I worked for Office Depot...he stopped in with his wife after they landed at the nearby airport so they could shop a bit. I wasn't totally sure it was him, and his wife caught me looking over and then approached me and asked if I liked jazz haha. I told her I did and that I knew who her husband was before she took me over to meet him. I am usually really good with meeting famous folks, but I was totally nervous to meet Chick...dude played with Miles and just about every jazz legend I look up to, so I couldn't help it.

If you liked Light As A Feather (Spain is such a jammer), make sure you check out the self titled Return To Forever LP...it has a bird on the cover, and is such a great record.

I've really fallen in love with jazz over the past year or two. The most impressive genre of music in my opinion. Improvisation adds a fresh element and is probably the most organic energy found in music.

All of this. I still love my punk and hardcore, and even equate jazz to punk in some respects, but there is definitely a time and place for rocking some jazz...from J to Z. B)

Edit: for modern jazz, I really dig anything Ari Hoenig (drummer...an amazing one at that) does. His band with Jean Michel-Pilc is top-notch!

I refused to get into jazz for the longest time because I knew it would be complicated and confusing at times. That is exactly what has made it fun. My entry was through funky soul jazz.

I personally love horns, but that doesn't mean you can't still dig jazz without a lot of brass work. There is also crazy bop horns and more mellow horns. If you want mellow, try giving  Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis a try.

Lots of grooving organ work by Jimmy Smith, Charles Kynard, and Big John Patton to name a few.

My fav pianists are Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk, and Andrew Hill. Monk plays some wacky shit.

Getting into jazz would be like getting into rock. Just dive in. After experimentation you will find players you like and it will be fun to hunt down other releases they are on that aren't their own.

Thanks for the recs.

Maybe try some Lionel Hampton?

He's a killer vibraphone player and I think he's involved in some groups that aren't very horn-heavy... also played with a lot of horn players, but it's just the first thing that came to mind.

Thanks for the recs. 

I'm sorry to junk up your thread with newbie talk, but I recently started getting into jazz. Kind of Blue was my jumping off point, and I've branched off from there. I really like Bill Evans' work from around the same period. I'm more into Cannonball's playing on the record than Coltrane's. If any of this is useful knowledge, some suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to sell me a cheap copy of Kind of Blue, PM me! Thanks.

Bill Evans! I have some Bill Evans on my iTunes. Need to find some records. 

Thanks for the recs. 

Still need to read through this thread, but thanks for the recommendations so far, I will listen to everything. 

i wil think tonight and try and come back with a list of some essential and lesser known.  after working in a music store for years and having fellow employees recommend stuff i amounted a large collection of jazz. just grabbed some outliers and odd ball stuff i posted in the recently purchased thread.

i will also read through the past posts so im not being repetitive.

Fuck. You guys don't know how happy I was to see a bump for this and a bunch of replies. So cool! I hate sounding like an old man, but so many people will not venture out of their comfort zones musically just because it's perceived to be uncool or not relevant. Jazz spent the better part of 60 years being the relevant music for white, black and Latin people. It's a shame people don't give new things a try just because of ignorance.

Sorry for the soapbox. 

Let me introduce you to the guitar-driven sounds of Mr. Kenny Burrell:

This is Cannonball's finest album in most critic's minds. And features Miles Davis prominently: