A few Music Matters not mentioned yet:

Cannonball Adderly- Somethin Else is a classic must have for sure.

Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue is fantastic. Flat out amazing jazz guitar record

Somethin Else is the next one that I have coming my way.  I'm looking forward to getting it.  Such a great album with an amazing line-up.

Somethin Else is the next one that I have coming my way.  I'm looking forward to getting it.  Such a great album with an amazing line-up.

Michael Fremer had a nice write up. I have the budget Universal digital release and might consider an upgrade after this review. But there is so much good stuff out there!

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/music-matters-somethin-else%C2%A0%C2%A0-somethin-else

I finally picked up Ornette Coleman's Science Fiction which is just divine.  I neglected picking up a copy for years... then saw January 2015 repress.  By ORG Music...ha of course it's them.   Bernie Grundaman mastering and all that (yes it sounds flawless... unless you don't like the freer side of jazz...).

Apparently it's limited and all that too.. but it's just really cool that I could buy a repress.

Pretty easy to find decent Jazz in Portland at affordable prices. I've always liked Miles, Coltrane, Blakey. Picked up a couple of MM represses thanks to reading this thread. I can't wait to get those!

Also, was poking around one of my favorite PDX record stores, they had a ton of Sun Ra. I'm not very familiar with free jazz or Ra, but saw what looked like a super interesting album in great condition and picked it up. Nuits De La Fondation Maeght vol 2

Pretty weird. I can get into some of Miles' stranger stuff (Dark Magus etc) but, I couldn't do this. Are there any stories that go along with that jam? The B side especially.

• 1 month later...

Glad this thread got bumped.  I just recently picked up a couple Heavenly Sweetness reissues.  I think I've read that they are digitally sourced, but sourced from the analog tapes nonetheless.  Sound pretty good to me.  I got Grachan Moncur III "Some Other Stuff" and Hank Mobley "No Room For Squares".  Both records are awesome and have great line-ups.

Anyone notice a difference in these music matters releases between 33 and 45rpm?

Elusive disc has 12% off right now and some seem to be on sale...just figured I'd grab em while I can since it seems the 45rpms are out of print. Choices choices...I do notice the 33s aren't eligible for discount though...gah....

The local shops have the lesser quality versions for $14 hence the question...

Also scored another.Matthew halsall album via discogs for $25 and the lady lived across the bridge from me in California... Thanks to whomever pointed him out a few pages back!

Anyone notice a difference in these music matters releases between 33 and 45rpm?

Elusive disc has 12% off right now and some seem to be on sale...just figured I'd grab em while I can since it seems the 45rpms are out of print. Choices choices...I do notice the 33s aren't eligible for discount though...gah....

The local shops have the lesser quality versions for $14 hence the question...

Also scored another.Matthew halsall album via discogs for $25 and the lady lived across the bridge from me in California... Thanks to whomever pointed him out a few pages back!

A lot of times the audiophile Jazz LPs arent eligible for sales. Whats the 12% off code? I was looking to pick up some stuff and wanted to see if theyd qualify

As far as 33 vs 45 I cant compare as Ive only heard the 33 but they sound fantastic!

A lot of times the audiophile Jazz LPs arent eligible for sales. Whats the 12% off code? I was looking to pick up some stuff and wanted to see if theyd qualify

As far as 33 vs 45 I cant compare as Ive only heard the 33 but they sound fantastic!

Woops forgot the code...

MARCH12

Cursory glance showed some 45s were eligible ... They had the link in the damn email but it looks like the 45s went up in pricedue to oop status...

Maybe I'll grab 2 for now to get free shipping...

I picked up Art Blakey - A Night in Tunisia and Grant Green - Matador and the code worked for both.

As for the difference between the 45 and 33 for the Music Matters releases, I can hardly tell a difference, if at all.  I own mostly the 33's, but I also own a copy of Lee Morgan - Search for a New Land on 45.

I picked up Art Blakey - A Night in Tunisia and Grant Green - Matador and the code worked for both.

As for the difference between the 45 and 33 for the Music Matters releases, I can hardly tell a difference, if at all. I own mostly the 33's, but I also own a copy of Lee Morgan - Search for a New Land on 45.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

You cant go wrong. I love original stereo Blue Note pressings, and have several original mono pressings (when my wallet can afford it), the Music Matters are the best I've ever heard. Some of the best jazz vinyl I've ever heard, period. I'm fascinated to see how much they are worth in 50 years.

Are there any pressing numbers on them?

The most popular Music Matters Blue Note 33 -series releases:

Blue Train

Midnight Blue

Soul Station

Moanin'

The Sidewinder

Somethin' Else

Cool Struttin'

Found this on another message board, the info is straight from the MM hq and is based on their inventory statistics. 3500 is quite a large pressing and hopefully these are going to be available for a while.

European Music Matters buyers: where have you purchased these? I just got burned by the customs when ordering from US (ccmusic) so an european seller is favorable from now on. Based on my research amazon.uk marketplace seems to be the cheapest option (around 45€ shipped to Finland). I am under impression that there shouldn't be import taxes if you buy from an european seller even though the item is being shipped outside EU? jazzhouserecords.co.uk is another option but almost 10€ pricier considering the shipping outside UK. 

The Blue Note 75 anniversary series titles are on sale at the moment here (under 18€ a piece) and I am really tempted to get some of those.. Quantity over quality? Decisions, decisions.

I finally bit the bullet and bought the 33 1/3 of Blue Train. I am excited to compare the sound with the original and I would be bummed if it became out of print. I don't think 3500 is a big pressing at all for much sought after jazz records. The originals can be insanely expensive and if the sound is as good as my double 45 Freddie Hubbard- Goin Up, these records will easily be going for $100+ a few years after they are out of print. I need to start buying them regularly.

Picked up a few of the 45 reissues with the elusive disc discount and wow....these are amazing! Dolphy, Blakey and Clarke albums are just eargasms on my system! Ya they were expensive but daaaaaamn they sound great! If the whole series sounds like this....well I'm going to have to work some overtime and grab em all!

I ended up doing the subscription for the first set (shipped over 6 months to spread out the cost), so I will have Blue Train and Grant Green's Idle Moments this Wednesday. I'm very excited to hear what these sound like. If I'm as impressed as you guys are, I'll definitely be subscribing to the second set.