Picked this up today - local was playing the cd in store and they had the vinyl box set - reallllll good shit! 16 year old jazz prodigy from the 60's, modal/post-bop/vocal jazz. Each album has unique qualities. Set blends in some nice spiritual jazz vibes too.

pehew-lpcdboxes.jpg

Never heard of him.  Sounds awesome though.  Will definitely check it out!

Yeah, I have some originals pressings of these titles and they sound great. I think I'm over the two record 45 rpm thing. I have Goin' Up  by Freddie Hubbard and it does sound amazing, but I would rather it was at 33 1/3. I think that is why they are re-doing these on one disc now.

• 4 weeks later...

A quick thanks to everyone contributing to this thread - has been really useful for someone just getting into Jazz (or at least attempting to!).

Just received the latest Snarky Puppy release 'Sylva'... Really enjoying it so far.

Hope to be a bit more active once I start purchasing more... So far my Jazz collection only stretches to a few records, although I am trying to get access to my dad's vinyl - he was big into Jazz back in the 60s/70s.

Cheers guys.

A quick thanks to everyone contributing to this thread - has been really useful for someone just getting into Jazz (or at least attempting to!).

Just received the latest Snarky Puppy release 'Sylva'... Really enjoying it so far.

Hope to be a bit more active once I start purchasing more... So far my Jazz collection only stretches to a few records, although I am trying to get access to my dad's vinyl - he was big into Jazz back in the 60s/70s.

Cheers guys.

Cool. If you can dig in your dad's collection try and snag records on the Blue Note label. It is really the most solid label I have ever come across. Most records are good to great. Also look for Prestige and Impulse. Have fun.

Recently picked up a couple more Analogue Productions Prestige reissues.  Between these and the Music Matters Blue Note reissues, they are a little costly but are entirely worth it.  I'll slowly be picking up more from their Prestige Mono series.  They are starting a Prestige Stereo series as well with 25 more titles.

20150827_104902-1.jpg

Cool. If you can dig in your dad's collection try and snag records on the Blue Note label. It is really the most solid label I have ever come across. Most records are good to great. Also look for Prestige and Impulse. Have fun.

Thanks for the tip! I had seen Blue Note coming up a lot whilst browsing around online, so I'll keep my eyes open as and when I get into the attic at my parent's place :)

Got a couple of Coltrane re-presses (Blue Note and Impulse!)... Gotta start with the classics, right?!

Went to the new location of Lagniappe Records in Lafayette, LA this weekend. Picked up this masterpiece for a whopping $30ish. It's so good. The Latin influence, especially flute, is not my favorite. But it grooves in parts (see youtube below). It's mono too which is very nice.

R-1248159-1253809805.jpeg.jpg

Just got these very good sounding Chet Baker lp's.

They're on a French reissue label, Sam Records. Sam Records only uses the original mastertapes for remastering. For the artwork, they only use the original photography, drawings,...

They're not that cheap at about $34 a piece, but totally worth it!!

http://www.samrecords.fr/

Chet-Baker-w-Bobby-Jaspar-840421.jpg

Chet-Baker-840171.jpg

About Sam Records
Sam Records is an independent, one-man record label based in Paris, France and founded in 2011 by Fred Thomas. This label is devoted to reissuing jazz records recorded and produced in France during the 50’s and 60’s.

My two great interests are jazz music and photography. In 2006 i got to know the American musician Nathan Davis personally and made a decision : I would re-release a recording by Davis from 1965 in the best possible quality available. The search for the copyright owner of the cover photo led me to Jean-Pierre Leloir, a legendary photographer who had captured on film what went on music-wise in Paris over many years. I was to be able to find who had the master tape, then have an agreement with the owner and then produced my very first LP reissue.

Five years later, i decided to found Sam Records. I didn’t know the music industry, but it was clear for me to try to do the best reissues possible – find the master tapes and the (original) photography.

While so many labels confine themselves to re-mastering digital versions (read: CDs) and reproducing the original artwork by simply scanning the cover, Sam Records uses only master tapes and re-creates record covers using the original photographs, paintings and/or drawings. That generally involves some painstaking detective work, so it’s a job for conscientious professionals, not corner-cutting amateurs. 

Re-mastered from the original master tapes.
Limited édition 180 gr vinyl pressed by Pallas in Germany.
Facsimile reissue using the original photo (if still available).
Double insert using an original photo by JP Leloir.

Each record has been visually checked to prevent defects.

My more recent jazz purchases.  Sort of all over the place style-wise, but they're all great!  I think I'm going to be picking up a few more Music Matters releases soon as well.

20150715_101325.jpg

Nice. That Bill Evans record is classic and the Sonny Sharrock is quite the trip and certainly worth it too. 

Ah, so cool - didn't know that 4MWB release of Sharrock was out! I gotta look into it. 

I've been really digging "Ask The Ages" lately - it's so incredible. Not available on vinyl, though. But it's killer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDR87-HRhA

Anyone have a pre-order in for the MoFi Kind of Blue? 2 LPs at 45rpm.

Kinda want to order one from Music Direct, but I already have 3 different copies. I really do enjoy MoFis work though and it's Kind of Blue, so...

I've had my eye on it for a while now but I think Im gonna wait and see what the consensus is before pulling the trigger