• 1 month later...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know if there are any Nathan Davis fans here, but I had to jump on this one. Sounds like it's been well made and though I haven't heard it, it's got great songs in the set. The guy who runs the label is selling them on his site and Discogs. I think it's a few bucks cheaper on Discogs, but still steep with shipping to the U.S. Even so, I don't think you will ever find this cheaper in the future, unless you get lucky. This will only be released on vinyl, no digital or CD.

R-12646293-1539264608-2655.jpeg.jpgNathan Davis With Georges Arvanitas Trio ‎– Live In Paris - The ORTF Recordings 1966/67

Unissued live session discovered in the National French Radio archive.
Hand Numbered Strictly Edition, Limited to 1,500 copies!
3LP-set, 180g vinyl pressed by Pallas.
Housed in a tri-fold cover with full size photos by Jean-Pierre Leloir.
Title and informations on removable orange strip.
Double pages with notes and essay by Jean Szlamowicz.
Each record has been visually checked to prevent defects.

• 1 month later...

dafe3a80-ddb1-466a-97fa-3a8febaa9a8f.jpg

Blue Note Music Matters 33RPM series is back! (But unfortunately, even more expensive. $60 a piece.) Here's the blurb from the email.

Here’s the thing…..

Our mission at Music Matters has always been to get lovers of Blue Note jazz as close to the music as possible. We are obsessed with bringing listeners back to that studio in New Jersey, back to the very sessions when the musicianscame together and played. The musicians brought all their hardships into that studio - the struggle to create art - a living, breathing art, while having to endure the endless injustice and insult of racism, as we have seen in countless anecdotes and biographies. But they also brought hope and dignity and discipline and genius and joy, too. They brought it all, the terrible and the sublime, into every session. And time after time they transformed it all and put it back into the world as some of the most beautiful and profound art created in the United States or anywhere else. Ever. And Rudy Van Gelder got it all on tape, every timeless bit of it.

The only reason we would come back with more would be if we heard those sessions again in a way that struck even veteran pros like us with the force of new revelation, in a way that gave us the sensation of hearing more fully and deeply from within the music itself than ever before. Put simply, we felt like we had to share it with you.

So, we’ve found that reason….. And it’s the vinyl! We’ve long wanted to get our all-analog re-masters of the original Van Gelder tapes onto something quiet and revealing, something that surpassed any vinyl formula ever developed. So, for the past two years, in collaboration with Record Technology and TPC Plastics we’ve been working on a vinyl formula that not only matches but surpasses the quality of the quietest vinyl ever put into production. Friends, we’ve finally achieved that goal!

We call it “SRX Vinyl.” SRX stands for “Silent Running Xperience.” SRX is our own proprietary formula, conceived and developed by Rick Hashimoto of Record Technology and manufactured by TPC Plastics. Its noise floor is fathoms lower than any other vinyl we know of out there past or present. Records pressed with it look like normal black discs until you hold them up to the light and see that they are translucent and smoky, silvery gray in color. What matters most though, is the sound of the music. The near-perfect silence of SRX Vinyl virtually frees the music from groove noise and draws you further into the listening space, setting it in relief so distinct, full and spacious it’s nearly sculptural. You hear more of what’s on the original tapes, not only of the notes played on the instruments but the sense of the event itself. There’s a richer sense of being in the presence of human souls breathing, plucking, blowing, pressing …. Working on and out via their instruments. You hear them searching together, conjuring the music with one another, putting that beauty into the world once again, right now, right here.

That’s our reason for continuing and we can’t think of a better one. This time around and for the time being we’re doing 12 titles, released all at once. All twelve titles will be available to purchase starting on January 1st, 2019.

(Please click on the link below to purchase any of our new 12 titles.)

Read our latest review from Greg Simmons discussing the virtues of SRX Vinyl.

With The Music in Mind,

Happy New Year!

2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Someday I'm gonna bite on those Grant Green records.

My buddy and I went to an old couple's house and among all of the other rare jazz we found 6 or so sealed copies of Grantstand. It was dark blue label, but still an awesome find amidst even more awesome Bluenote original pressings.

20 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I'm really interested to hear how this SRX vinyl actually sounds. I'm skeptical. I wish they did some different titles instead of the ones they've already made. I have the Hank Mobley in the Mosaic box set, so it would be good to compare those pressings.

I have the recent repress of Kind of Blue by MOFI. It's on the SRX vinyl and there is quite a bit of noise. Pops, crackles, minor distortion. I've cleaned it several times. Check the discogs reviews for this release (the boxset of KOB). Others complain about noise as well. SRX could be snake oil or KOB just had a bad repress.

2 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

I have the recent repress of Kind of Blue by MOFI. It's on the SRX vinyl and there is quite a bit of noise. Pops, crackles, minor distortion. I've cleaned it several times. Check the discogs reviews for this release (the boxset of KOB). Others complain about noise as well. SRX could be snake oil or KOB just had a bad repress.

This is good to know. I wish they could just replicate the sound of the old Blue Note pressings. My original mono pressing of Blue Train sounds much better than the Music Matters pressing. The original pressing, even with some crackle since it's not mint, makes you feel like you are sitting in the center of the room while they play. You can actually hear them inhaling at times. Maybe they just filter all that stuff out when they remix it.

I’ve ordered 6 of the first 12 SRX MM titles. Currently received three. After hearing them ordered three more which are on the way. 

Ive read the KOB has had pressing/noise issues. Can’t speak from personal experience though. 

So far the three MM titles I’ve received (night in Tunisia, hank Mobley and song for my father) are incredible. Dead quiet. It’s bizarre how quiet they are when you drop the needle and between tracks. I do have other MM 33’s and 45’s to compare them to. I agree $60 is steep but they’re not getting cheaper. 

There’s also a new Blue Note series that begins next month called The Tone Poet Series. 

Don Was from Blue Note is backing it and Joe from Music Matters is heading it up. 

They’re selecting titles from Blue Note that have yet to see an audiophile release. All analog and the same jackets that MM is known for will be used. 

First titles

Wayne Shorter “Etcetera” 

Chick Corea “Now he sings now he sobs”

Retail will be $35 but amazon preorders have dipped under $30. 

2 hours ago, NorthwayNative said:

Any idea on pressing numbers for those SRX represses? That Blues Walk is calling my name but $60 is steep. Curious how many of these got pressed and potentially how tough these will be to get my hands on in the future. 

/1500

There’s a 600+ page thread on Steve Hoffman forums about MM. SRX discussion shows up around page 580 or so. Lots of info there. 

I have all the MM releases so I just picked up Blues Walk and Johnny Griffin Vol.1.  They sound amazing. 

6 hours ago, nate_8907 said:

/1500

There’s a 600+ page thread on Steve Hoffman forums about MM. SRX discussion shows up around page 580 or so. Lots of info there. 

I have all the MM releases so I just picked up Blues Walk and Johnny Griffin Vol.1.  They sound amazing. 

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Looks like Colemine is pressing a Grant Green reissue on blue. Not my fav of his, but still worth it. Limited to 1,000.

https://www.plaidroomrecords.com/collections/pre-orders/products/prrexclusivegrantgreen

a274902e5e6005493c0821df1602498f_1024x1024.jpg?v=1570703382

Anyone who knows us knows that we have a huge soft spot for Blue Note Records, as many do. My introduction to jazz was through artists like Lee Morgan, Herbie Hancock, and especially Grant Green. So it gives us great pleasure to announce a Plaid Room Exclusive blue vinyl pressing of Grant Green's "Sunday Mornin'". It's never been reissued and we are pressing 1000 copies on blue vinyl for Black Friday. It's not an official RSD release for Black Friday, so it will only be available from our store and pre-orders are live now!

- Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder
- Lacquers cut by Kevin Gray from the original analog tapes
- Plated and pressed at RTI
- 180g pressing, housed in a Stoughton "old-style" tip-on jacket, rice paper inner sleeve
- Limited edition of 1000 copies on blue vinyl, exclusive to Plaid Room Records

When Kevin was cutting these lacquers, he said, "Rudy's sound doesn't get any better than this, it really doesn't." He would know, he has cut more blue Note lacquers than anyone in the world! If you're not familiar with the record, check it out on streaming services, it's killer!

INTERNATIONAL DISCLAIMER
Because this is a Plaid Room Records exclusive, it will only be sold on the Plaid Room site at first, which does not permit international shipping. However, we plan on keeping a small amount aside for our international customers that are interested in getting a copy. So, if you're interested simply reply to this email and let us know and we'll make a small amount available as an ADDON item on the Colemine site :)

Best,
Terry

• 4 months later...

First off, I came across this Shabaka and the Ancestors PO and thought it looked interesting. I'm still digesting the music, but, so far, so good. Amzn PO Write up and strange video Here.

We Are Sent Here By History [2 LP]

In other news, I have a neighbor who has a massive collection of records that were her parents'. Rooms and rooms full and they are looking to someday sell. I tried to get them to let me look at them and they said "it's just a mess". Pulled my hair out. Finally they were having another garage sale and I went back and got them to at least let me look through one shelf. Right away I found about 10 Jackie McClean records. Unfortunately, her parents really played the records and most suffered from condition problems, but there were also sealed OJC pressings and the like. There were also NY pressings of Blue Note and Bergenfield deep groove Prestige. There is tremendous potential in this collection and if it were 20 years ago, I would have really been losing my shit trying to get them to let me go through more of them. Apparently, they are letting some random guy they met at the flea market go through them and help them price them. I told them about Discogs and how to look up prices, so they wouldn't get cheated. Hopefully, I will be able to get back in. We did exchange numbers and maybe it will pay off. I was tempted to throw out a nice number for the entire collection, but I just don't think I have the energy anymore to deal with it. My guesstimation is that I would have to rent a moving truck and it would eat up a lot of time. I think if all the titles were in a lot better condition, I'd probably do it. I'd bet there are some sealed super rare jazz and soul buried in there. Maybe I will get to find out!

30 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

In other news, I have a neighbor who has a massive collection of records that were her parents'. Rooms and rooms full and they are looking to someday sell. I tried to get them to let me look at them and they said "it's just a mess". Pulled my hair out. Finally they were having another garage sale and I went back and got them to at least let me look through one shelf. Right away I found about 10 Jackie McClean records. Unfortunately, her parents really played the records and most suffered from condition problems, but there were also sealed OJC pressings and the like. There were also NY pressings of Blue Note and Bergenfield deep groove Prestige. There is tremendous potential in this collection and if it were 20 years ago, I would have really been losing my shit trying to get them to let me go through more of them. Apparently, they are letting some random guy they met at the flea market go through them and help them price them. I told them about Discogs and how to look up prices, so they wouldn't get cheated. Hopefully, I will be able to get back in. We did exchange numbers and maybe it will pay off. I was tempted to throw out a nice number for the entire collection, but I just don't think I have the energy anymore to deal with it. My guesstimation is that I would have to rent a moving truck and it would eat up a lot of time. I think if all the titles were in a lot better condition, I'd probably do it. I'd bet there are some sealed super rare jazz and soul buried in there. Maybe I will get to find out!

Also this sounds dope af, keep an update of what happens! My dad passed a while back in 2018 and I was going through his old collection not long ago and found a sealed 1971 press Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces of a Man*. Keeping it that way.

Edited by JRHews