18 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

We talking this new QRP Kevin Gray AAA A Love Supreme pressing? Perfection. 

I have the 2x12” 45 rpm that They did a few years ago and this sounds identical. 

and it’s less than $30. Tip on sleeve. 180g too. 

I have this coming in the mail later this week and I'm pretty excited to hear it.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:08 PM, somethingvinyl said:

https://www.discogs.com/Rudolph-Johnson-The-Second-Coming/release/3492819

So I picked through an old man's collection  a couple years back and picked this up for relatively cheap. $5-10, easy buy.  It was VG and I cared more about flipping my money and getting $50 for it. Fast forward a couple months ago, had the opportunity to dig through a shop's dead stock that recently closed here. Found it again. It's a promo so I toyed with the idea of flipping it, but there's a scratch that causes a skip. Since I can't sell it, I'll keep it. This time it was only $3. I haven't heard a bad album on the Black Jazz label:

I have the entire catalog except for Skipper at Home by Henry Franklin. I did get to meet him and have him sign my other record.

2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I have the 2x12” 45 rpm that They did a few years ago and this sounds identical. 

Can't remember if mine is original pressing our just early. May need to check this. I will say I haven't been overly impressed with any repressings that I've compared to original or early pressings.

2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I got this last week. It is absolutely fantastic value for what you get as well. The dynamics are insane. Ballads is also great for the most part (my copy was a tad bit noisier than ALS). Hopefully the Nina titles will be equally fantastic, definitely looking forward to those.

Also I finally started diving into the Tone Poet series thanks to the Target B2G1 sale. I have the 2 Herbie titles, Money Jungle, and It's Time. Anyone got recs?

Edit: also happy belated 80th b-day to Pharoah Sanders

Edited by KaitouG

On 10/14/2020 at 9:38 PM, lexicondevil said:

I have the entire catalog except for Skipper at Home by Henry Franklin. I did get to meet him and have him sign my other record.

The place I mentioned I got Rudolph I also got that Skipper At Home but the cover was wrecked. But a great LP.  I got to find a jacket cheaply.

26 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

The place I mentioned I got Rudolph I also got that Skipper At Home but the cover was wrecked. But a great LP.  I got to find a jacket cheaply.

I could have easily scored a nice copy for $40 years ago. I just slept, thinking I'd come across it someday. Looks more unlikely since the price has jumped. One hole in my Black Jazz collection. I paid twenty or less for all my other titles.

I got the ALS AAA myself yesterday, played it twice already. It was the best I've heard the album, I have not heard an original stereo but I have heard an original mono. I highly recommend anyone who enjoys this album to pick up a copy, not sure how many more times this is going to get cut from tape.  

Just listened to my stereo '65 record club pressing of A Love Supreme. I compared this to the newly received Kevin Gray pressing. The overall sound is close, but the '65 pressing is a bit more lively, especially the sounds of the percussion. I've noticed this with most recent pressings compared to originals. The new are slightly muted and less colorful. This is most apparent when comparing Blue Train. This one isn't as noticeable and is a perfectly good alternative if you can't track down a '65 pressing. If you already have the first, or I suspect most early pressings, you really don't need this one. Just one non-audiophile's opinion.

15 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

1st pressings of Blue Train just keep getting crazier and crazier. I wish I would have dropped the $500-800 it was going for 20 years ago.

I actually thought you could still buy a decent copy for those prices. My copy is only vg, but it's deep groove and sounds great. That is the cool thing about those old Blue Notes.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:11 PM, lexicondevil said:

I actually thought you could still buy a decent copy for those prices. My copy is only vg, but it's deep groove and sounds great. That is the cool thing about those old Blue Notes.

High grade copies are easily $1,500 now. But looking at finished auctions, I guess it's easier to get a VG- one for a couple hundred. I never watch a copy because I know it will always sell for more than I want to pay.

2 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

Blue Note announced their Classics reissue series. It's a continuation of the BN80 series. Lots of heavy hitters in here. AAA mastering. Affordable prices. Best news for jazz vinyl reissues recently, imo.

http://www.bluenote.com/classic-vinyl-reissue-series/

Great list so far. Luckily I have almost all of them already through the AP Blue Note reissues from a few years ago. I love that all this stuff is getting high quality pressings for affordable prices. I'm still making my way through the Tone Poets and they are excellent value.

7 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I assume "standard packaging" is direct to board and not tip on?

Yeah, won't be tip on like the Tone Poets is my guess.

But I've been getting really clean BN80s for $18 lately. Cant complain at that price for AAA from Optimal. Also glad they are redoing a lot of the titles from the crumby BN75 run with these new Classics reissues. 

On 10/24/2020 at 5:43 AM, zdkaiser said:

Blue Note announced their Classics reissue series. It's a continuation of the BN80 series. Lots of heavy hitters in here. AAA mastering. Affordable prices. Best news for jazz vinyl reissues recently, imo.

http://www.bluenote.com/classic-vinyl-reissue-series/

I wonder if we'll start seeing some Tone Poet releases announced soon then. I did catch wind of this a few months back via the Steve Hoffman forums...

28 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/vinyl

A bunch of blue note stuff on sale for 30% off and an additional 20% off with code comeback. 

They have a few POs of the tone poet series stuff it applies for as well.

Yeah, I just picked up 6 of the Tone Poet releases that I didn’t have yet. 

Use code !TRICKORTREAT10 for $10 off your order. 

Single Tone Poets are about $15 shipped then with the code.

If you use different email addresses or variations of your actual gmail address the code can be used for multiple orders of single items. I placed 12 separate orders and picked up 11 albums and one 7 inch for $70 on this sale, including:

John Coltrane - Blue World

3 Art Blakey BN80 albums

Dexter Gordon BN80

Kenny Burrell Tone Poet

A Thelonious Monk album on Blue Note

Larry Jones w. Grant Green BN80

J5 Power in Numbers

Dr. Dre Chronic 2001

Bob Marley in Dub

Craziness. 

1 hour ago, Olsvik said:

Alfa Mist's Antiphon and Structuralism represses are available on his bandcamp

https://alfamist.bandcamp.com/album/antiphon

https://alfamist.bandcamp.com/album/structuralism

Wow this sounds incredible. Almost $50 shipped from UK though. Also have been having hit or miss shipping from EU when it comes to the condition the record shows up in. 

• 1 month later...

This leans more into funk/soul than jazz or blues, but overall this fella gets categorized as "jazz fusion" looks like.

Found this record out at a household sale back before the whole covid thing and hadn't gotten around to listening to it until now. I'm finding it really enjoyable.

Edited by MachoHommeRandallSauvage