21 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

The Mobley and Blakey are up for preorder on Amazon right now. April 9 release date. Everything seems to be delayed a month. Also, these Classics are really popular. They are all selling out quickly. The Sidewinder is being repressed with a June 30th release date. I'll be buying almost all of them, many to replace the shitty BN75 pressings I have.

Blakey's a big one too!

Pharoah Sanders has an album collaboration with Floating Points and the London Symphony. Apparently there was a yellow and blue variant that have already sold out. How the hell did I know find out about this until just now? There are also 140 gm and 180 gm. I don't usually get excited about variant colored jazz records, but I'm bummed I missed the boat on this one. Went with 180 gm, which is also hard to find. Found it at Elusive Disc.

Great bumps. So, neat story. I bought a large collection summer of 2019. 1,100 LP's. It was a great score. Threw out 300 because they were mildewed or moldy. Kept the best 150 or so. Sold off the remaining  650 in bulk for like $300 because it was junk, worth nothing or just stuff I thought I could flip or wanted to keep. This Pharaoh Sanders album was in there:

spacer.png

I like Pharaoh but the latter stuff is so free that it sometimes loses my attention. But this song, Let Us Go Into The House of the Lord just stuck with me. My copy was VG- . Wasn't great. Sold it on Discogs and played it one last time. It bothered me that the song I liked was so noisy. As soon as I sold it off, I immediately regretted it. I was kind of hoping the buyer would want to return it. So when he posted positive feedback, I went right back on Discogs and bought a better copy for nearly the same price I sold it at. Haha. This song, man. FUCK! Magical. 

Edited by somethingvinyl

On 2/21/2021 at 10:35 AM, lexicondevil said:

Pharoah Sanders has an album collaboration with Floating Points and the London Symphony. Apparently there was a yellow and blue variant that have already sold out. How the hell did I know find out about this until just now? There are also 140 gm and 180 gm. I don't usually get excited about variant colored jazz records, but I'm bummed I missed the boat on this one. Went with 180 gm, which is also hard to find. Found it at Elusive Disc.

Well hell. Looks like even my 180 gram was canceled by Elusive. Ended up finding it again on the Floating Points BC. Hope this one goes through. If anyone finds retail copies of this on colored vinyl please send me a message. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 1:35 PM, lexicondevil said:

Just to chime in late on this, wow this album is gorgeous. Suuuuper relaxing and chill, love the ambient moments and the symphony fits perfectly.

A while back I posted about a neighbor who had shelves and shelves of mostly jazz and soul records in their two garages. Every time they would have a garage sale I would try to stop by to get them to let me look through some of them. One day they finally let me check out some in the main garage. Unfortunately I was recovering from a bad back and I didn't have my reading glasses which made it difficult. They told me they were going to have a guy come in and go through it all, even though I had been talking with them for a while about it. From what I did see there was a lot of potential and a lot of disappointment with rare titles having jacked up discs. Anyway, I finally went back today and it had all been gone through numerous times at this point. I did pick up 40 records, but nothing to jump up and down about. Got some sealed Dizzy and Dinah. Also a couple Graham Central Station, Jack McDuff, and a 12 inch of Miles playing Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time". Herbie Mann fans would have gone to town! They were all a buck a piece, so good prices, but damn I wonder what I missed out on. Probably a lot. I should have been more persistent, but I just don't have that drive like I did in my 20's and 30's.

The upcoming Mobley reissue is essential. Looking forward to it. 

I slept on the Grant Green "Nigeria" Tone Poet. I'd love to find a trade on that one. I came into a copy of "Solid" not long ago. Best $10 I've spent on a piece of vinyl in months. 

I really liked the Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" rsd collection and am looking forward to the Jack Johnson collection coming in July. 

I spent a lot of time with jazz during covid. Found my way into a few cool albums (Any of you ever listened to McCoy Tyner's "Asante" - a pal pulled it for me and it just shows the depth of what is out there in the genre). Bought part of a collection and regretted not taking more.  Anyway, Jazz gave me a lot of joy and got me a bit more engaged with collecting on all aspects of my collection. 

It's great that titles from the LT series are finally getting recognized. Funny how all of these years that nobody really cared much about these titles because of the boring as fuck covers that they originally came packaged in. Says a lot. I used to pick these up for $2 to $5 all of the time. Nigeria is a great album, but I really want them to go deeper and reissue Consequence and Vertigo by Jackie Mclean or Dance with Death by Andrew Hill. Dance with Death is a bit more brass forward than piano, but Hill does some nice work. Charles Tolliver is the one who really shines on this record. I hope Tone Poet starts releasing less common titles instead of yet another version of something that has been pressed over and over again.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:40 PM, warhenrecords said:

Down to the last 16 copies of this record before it's gone for good.

Jazz/Funk heads take note.

https://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/album/wh031-afrokuti-a-tribute-to-fela

I still spin this regularly! Butcher Brown is amazing and will no doubt be huge in the near future. Even if not, I'll still be picking up everything they release.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, jerseydave77 said:

The upcoming Mobley reissue is essential. Looking forward to it. 

I slept on the Grant Green "Nigeria" Tone Poet. I'd love to find a trade on that one. I came into a copy of "Solid" not long ago. Best $10 I've spent on a piece of vinyl in months. 

I really liked the Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" rsd collection and am looking forward to the Jack Johnson collection coming in July. 

I spent a lot of time with jazz during covid. Found my way into a few cool albums (Any of you ever listened to McCoy Tyner's "Asante" - a pal pulled it for me and it just shows the depth of what is out there in the genre). Bought part of a collection and regretted not taking more.  Anyway, Jazz gave me a lot of joy and got me a bit more engaged with collecting on all aspects of my collection. 

The aforementioned collection I referenced above that was purchased in the summer of 2019 had Asante (which I haven't sold yet - need to spin again).  But it also had his album Extensions. I sold it and wanted it back. It's great. Especially this track:

52 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

The aforementioned collection I referenced above that was purchased in the summer of 2019 had Asante (which I haven't sold yet - need to spin again).  But it also had his album Extensions. I sold it and wanted it back. It's great. Especially this track:

I had Extensions. It must have gone during one of my great purges.

On 4/17/2021 at 5:30 PM, somethingvinyl said:

The players on that album tell me it's worthwhile. Shorter is glue. I'm not that knowledgable but in my limited experience, Jones is my favorite drummer after Blakey. 

I really like Asante - it is different, it's surprising. This track is terrific. I'll have to look for a copy. 

On 2/2/2021 at 11:13 AM, timsimmons said:

Now get us the QRP Verve titles for 2021!

New titles announced for 2021

May 2021
Gil Evans Orchestra Out Of The Cool
Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz

June 2021
Oliver Nelson - The Blues and The Abstract Truth
Sonny Rollins - Sonny Rollins On Impulse!

July 2021
Bill Evans - Trio 64
Bill Evans - Trio 65

August 2021
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

September 2021
Ella Fitzgerald - A Swinging Christmas
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis Again

October 2021
John Coltrane - Coltrane Live at The Village Vanguard