On 6/6/2021 at 10:51 AM, jerseydave77 said:

$350. I've been trying to get the 2xLP at a reasonable price but haven't yet. It's out there and with patience, I will. 

Amazon has the set for $288 right now. Still expensive obviously but a nice little $60 discount. I might have to pick this up.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:55 AM, timsimmons said:

Acoustic Sounds is taking POs on that UHQR Kind of Blue on 33 (45 coming later). 6000 are ready to ship, they are taking POs for 25k. $100

Finally did a side by side comparison using this and an original mono pressing in VG+ condition. The original mono still wins. Don't know if it's because it's mono and this is stereo, but the tonal qualities are different and the OG sounds a bit less muted. I will say that I have no regrets buying this new version. It is beautiful and I highly recommend the high expense as it will be a jewel in any collection for years to come. My test to see if there can be a better version than the original has come to an end and as usual with old jazz records the original pressing won.

2 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Finally did a side by side comparison using this and an original mono pressing in VG+ condition. The original mono still wins. Don't know if it's because it's mono and this is stereo, but the tonal qualities are different and the OG sounds a bit less muted. I will say that I have no regrets buying this new version. It is beautiful and I highly recommend the high expense as it will be a jewel in any collection for years to come. My test to see if there can be a better version than the original has come to an end and as usual with old jazz records the original pressing won.

Mono vs. Stereo is an apples and oranges comparison, but I'm glad you're happy with both versions. I have the UHQR and it's a wonderful pressing. Also have the 2013 mono reissue and that too is incredible. But jazz in general I think sounds better in mono. 

Real Gone has put up The Awakening "Mirage" and Henry Franklin "Skipper at Home". That Franklin record is the only title in the Black Jazz catalog that I don't own an original. It bugs the fuck out of me, but this will have to do for now. https://realgonemusic.com/collections/black-jazz/upcoming

Took a flier on a couple Horace Silver LPs today for $30. 

"Searching for the 27th Man"

"Silver's Serenade"

The Serenade is a legit first pressing in VG+ condition - deep groove in side one. I won on that flier - I knew the condition was good and I couldn't even get a repress of either at those prices, so too a shot and scored. 

Weekend Dig - all early or original pressings with the exception of Caravan and Coltrane ('72 press)

- Archie Shepp - Yasmina, A Black Woman (mint - the gem of the pull)

- Monk - Straight, No Chaser

- Monk - It's Monk's Time

- Monk - Monk's Dream

- Monk - Underground (one of my all-time fav album covers)

- Coltrane - S/T (Impulse)

- Red Garland - Alone With The Blues (huge fan of Garland if you haven't taken a dive there)

- Blakey - Caravan (2014 pressing - $5 can't go wrong)

12 hours ago, jerseydave77 said:

Weekend Dig - all early or original pressings with the exception of Caravan and Coltrane ('72 press)

- Archie Shepp - Yasmina, A Black Woman (mint - the gem of the pull)

- Monk - Straight, No Chaser

- Monk - It's Monk's Time

- Monk - Monk's Dream

- Monk - Underground (one of my all-time fav album covers)

- Coltrane - S/T (Impulse)

- Red Garland - Alone With The Blues (huge fan of Garland if you haven't taken a dive there)

- Blakey - Caravan (2014 pressing - $5 can't go wrong)

Very nice! Congrats.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 12:11 PM, jerseydave77 said:

Took a flier on a couple Horace Silver LPs today for $30. 

"Searching for the 27th Man"

"Silver's Serenade"

The Serenade is a legit first pressing in VG+ condition - deep groove in side one. I won on that flier - I knew the condition was good and I couldn't even get a repress of either at those prices, so too a shot and scored. 

Searching for the 27th Man is good. I've had a copy before. Lame cover, great album.

• 4 weeks later...

I have posted in the buy/sell/trade forum also, but thought I would try here too. 

I am looking for a copy of the 2017 Presitige Pressing of Saxophone Colossus; the QPR pressing done by Kevin Gray. I missed it when it was on Amazon. 

If you have a spare, or would like to sell yours, please let me know. Would be shipped to Michigan, USA.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish I could post a simple video of my flea market pull today. 

A few of note...

Alice Coletrane with Strings

Pharoah - Thembi

Gary Bartz - Uhuru

Ahmad Jama - Freeflight

Donald Byrd - Black Byrd

Coltrane - Transitions

Lou Donaldson - Say it loud

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up

Grabbed 16 lps with a few more coming my way from the seller - average price of $12 each. Vinyl is all VG+ or better, late 60s/early 70s pressings. A few covers had water damage etc - but at the pricing, I filled some major wants at a very fair price point. It's the reason I still hit flea markets. 

Damn. I finally got a good estate sale haul. Lots of jazz, new wave, rock, folk, etc. 36 records in all.

All seem to be original pressings.

Some:

Dave Brubeck- Time Out

Cannonball Adderley - African Waltz

Miles Davis - In Person at the Blackhawk 6eye

Cal Tjader - Concert at the Campus on red vinyl and signed by Cal, Willie Bobo, Mongo Santamaria,  etc. The whole band!

2 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Cal Tjader - Concert at the Campus on red vinyl and signed by Cal, Willie Bobo, Mongo Santamaria,  etc. The whole band!

That's awesome. I love me Soul Sauce and his Skye albums.

22 hours ago, jerseydave77 said:

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up

Reminder to myself that I need a copy of this in my life. Hard bop reissues are so hard to find. They're gone as soon as they're in stores.

Gang - 

The seller of those jazz records has some more and I'm getting a pick on Thursday. Not sure what value I'll maintain. If you have something in particular from 1970-1973 Bluenote/Impulse/Milestone - let me know and I'll look. I know it is picked over a bit but there is still solid stuff. I am promised a copy of Tyner's "Sahara" and Coleman's "Twins" for instance. 

Some solid pick ups: 

Tyner "Sahara"

Coleman "Twins" white label promo

Yusef Lateef "Gentle Giant" WLP

Alice Coletrane "Eternity" (still in the shrink)

Donald Byrd "Street Lady"

Coleman "Live at Prince Street" - been wanting this as his loft was a few blocks from my office.

Jimmy Smith Groovin at Smalls..

A few others but pretty solid all around. 

Not going to pretend to have been aware of this prior to the re-issue, but Strata East / P-Vine reissued (looks like they pressed a run last year and then again this year per Discogs) The Ensemble Al-Salaam ‎– The Sojourner; got my copy in yesterday and am on my second listen now, absolutely stunning spiritual jazz LP. 

spacer.png

On 9/10/2021 at 1:50 PM, pepperonigin said:

Anyone happen to know if Blue Note intends to repress Bobby Hutcherson's Oblique and/or The Kicker?

I believe they intend to keep all the Tone Poets and Classics in print, more or less, butpressing plants are so backed up right now that represses are slowly trickling in. Some of the early BN Classics titles are being restocked at a variety of vendors, e.g., Lee Morgan's Sidewinder.

I had a great day of Garage sales and flea markets.

- Non Jazz: Scientists, Zombies, Damned, Ultravox, Lou Reed albums.

- Jazz: (all mint vinyl, most covers still in shrink)

Coltrane - Favorite Thing (1973) and Live at Village Vanguard (1980 MCA)

Tyner - Enlightenment, Echoes, Expansions

Lou Donaldson +3 (1970 pressing)

Shorter - Speak No Evil - Mint DMM pressing

Sun Ra - live at Montreaux

Hubbard "breaking point" (1973 pressing) 

Horace Silver "doin the thing..." (1973)

Jimmy Smith "The Cat" (huge soft spot for this record) 

More Blue Note Classics announced

Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – Release Schedule:

October 1, 2021

November 19, 2021 – Hard Bop

November 19, 2021 – The 70s

December 10, 2021 – Soul Jazz

• Jimmy Smith – Home Cookin’ (1958)
  • Reuben Wilson – Love Bug (1969)

December 10, 2021 – Hidden Gems

• Herbie Nichols – The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 (1955)
  • Kenny Cox – Introducing Kenny Cox and The Contemporary Jazz Quintet (1968)

January 21, 2022 – The Avant-Garde

• Jackie McLean – Destination Out (1963)
  • Don Cherry – Where Is Brooklyn? (1966)

February 18, 2022 – Post-Bop

• Joe Henderson – Inner Urge (1964)
  • Lee Morgan – Caramba (1968)

March 18, 2022 – The Rebirth

• Cassandra Wilson – Blue Light ‘Til Dawn (1993)*
  • Geri Allen – Twenty One (1994)*

April 15, 2022 – Bebop

• Milt Jackson – Milt Jackson With John Lewis, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke, Lou Donaldson And The Thelonious Monk Quintet (1948-52)
  • Bud Powell – Time Waits: The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 4 (1958)

*mastered from a digital source

• 9 months later...

Anyone here on WhatNot?  I have a large Jazz Vinyl sale this weekend with some rare stuff listed.  

https://whatnot.com/live/30e38c4f-3e29-49bb-a404-9a6fafeab870?invitedBy=ganaar7575

Also..feel free to use this referral code to get $10 off your first order:  https://whatnot.com/invite/ganaar7575

Hope this is allowed here.  Huge collector (not a store) just trying to shed some of my large collection.