I have also gotten into jazz for the last year or so.

Records I really enjoy:

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

John Coltrane - Coltrane Plays The Blues
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things
Charlie Mingus - Ah Um
Charlie Mingus - Oh Yeah
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Django Reinhardt - The Unforgettable
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
Stan Getz / João Gilberto Featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim - Getz / Gilberto
Thelonious Monk - The Riverside Trios

I also like some stuff from Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Count Basie,... Still a lot more to discover!

I listen to the a jazz station every night on my way to work. Granted, I enjoy the music for the drive, but most of it I wouldn't enjoy enough to warrant purchasing. My gripe with some jazz is the same gripe I have with some rock--I hate solos that (often times) seem out-of-place. I played in my school's jazz band, and I loved the songs that, to me, were actually songs rather than a bunch of solos supplemented by a few structured sections. Maybe I'm biased since I was part of the rhythm section, but most solos just end up being musical wankery to my ears. 

Anyway, I was recommended this site a while ago, and it seems to be pretty cool for checking out new tunes. Granted, I really haven't used it nearly as much as I'd like. 

http://www.jazzradio.com/

And these are the jazz albums I have: 

- Miles Davis: This is considered a classic album, and I enjoy it. Though, admittedly, I probably don't give it the same praise others do. And I'm a was a tad annoyed to open my copy and find that it didn't have the "classic" album cover, but ah well. 

- The Bad Plus: These guys are a great modern jazz trio (piano/bass/drums) that I really dig. I've played this album quite a lot, and I've been meaning to check out their more recent album(s?). Much of their previous work was cover songs, I believe. Now they mostly do originals. 

- The Neil Cowley Trio: This is another piano jazz trio, and they're fairly straight-forward yet quirky. A fun listen for sure. Some songs don't soar as high as others, at least for me, but still overall a good new jazz band that I enjoy. 

- Jaga Jazzist: These are they guys I'll recommend most for this forum, as I believe most people here are younger/my age (I'm 24). Jaga Jazzist is consider "nu-jazz," I guess, but they're great and actually one of my favorite bands. I only have their live albums, but it's actually one hell of a live album. Some of the songs are on youtube.

29eqa28.jpg

So far I have downloaded 

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (Love it)

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (Love it) really mellow horns on the both of these

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage and Head Hunters - need to spend more time with these

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue (Love it, listening now)

Pat Metheny - New Chautauqua (Kind of a country feel maybe, didn't really click, I'll check out another release)

Duke Ellington and John Coltrane (Haven't listened yet)

Jaga Jazzist - One Armed Bandit (Haven't listened yet)

I'm still trying to find that Snarky Puppy mentioned earlier. I also have many more recommendations to check out, thanks to all for the starting point. 

There are alot of great suggestions in the prior pages an things i would have reccommended if not already said.

Some things to check out are:

Blue mitchell : the thing to do

Alice coltrane: journey in satchidananda

Lee morgan: sidewinder

Clifford brown/max roach

If you are llooking for more free jazz type stuff i would go with:

Anthony braxton

Sunny murray

Ornette coleman

Milford graves

Archie shepp

Albert ayler

Cecil taylor

Art ensemble of chicago

All of those artists have things that range from more structured to really out there.

Also you cant really go wrong with john zorn. He really goes all over the place from the naked city stuff to the film soundtracks.

Being diving back into the electric masada stuff which some is more jewish music influenced, some free and some more structured. Got the chance to see it a few years ago and it was quite impressive.

^ That record changed my musical life at one point.

70s Herbie was dope as fuck...at least until he did that straight up disco album, which still wasn't terrible, but the rest was waaaaay better.

If you like the weird spacey/synthy stuff, go back a few albums...some of those records have ARP 2600 modular synth loveliness on them, and I am pretty sure they all have ARP Solina String Ensemble on them (string sounds...HH has it too).

I'm still trying to find that Snarky Puppy mentioned earlier. I also have many more recommendations to check out, thanks to all for the starting point.

You won't regret it. They're one of my favorite bands right now. Their live studio youtube videos are great. I'd suggest "Tell Your Friends" as a good start off album.

Let me introduce you to the guitar-driven sounds of Mr. Kenny Burrell:

I really like this. I'm glad to see this thread bumped. I've always wanted to get into jazz, but it's such a large genre that I've always felt kind of lost. I excited to listen to some of the recommendations in here.

Have you heard his proto-hip hop album Future Shock? Awful:

I don't mind Future Shock...sure, it isn't a go-to Herbie album, and it definitely isn't a "jazz" record, but it is a cool snapshot of that time period.