My daughter is reading a book called the acoustic rooster at school which is about jazz musicians baryard animals (Mule Davis, Ella Finchgerald, Duck Ellington etc). Anyway, since she started talking about it in school and learning more about jazz she's wanted to listen to jazz records. I have some Coltrane and Miles Davis, but she keeps asking me to get some Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald records. How can I not take advantage of this opportunity to share jazz with her right?haha

So, that being said, do you guys have any recommendations for albums to check out by Ella and Louis?

I've been looking for this thread!

I recently inherited some records from my Grandma and I got the first group the other day. These were the Jazz records in there. Can you guys tell me anything about these?

Bags and Trane - Milt Jackson and John Coltrane

Joe Henderson - In and Out

Bobby Humphrey - Blacks and Blues

Benny Goodman-

The King of Swing Vol 3: 1937-38 Concert No 2,

BG in Hi-Fi,

The Vintage Goodman,

The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert Vol. 1, 2, 3

Bob James -

Obsession

Three (w/ Grover Washington Jr.)

Harry James - All Time Favorites

Quincy Jones- Smackwater Jack

Jonah Jones Quartet -

At The Embers,

Muted Jazz,

The Jimmy Giuffre 3 - Trav'lin Light

You've got a wide range of stuff there from big band swing to hard bop to 70's fusion and jazz funk. Listen to them all and you can begin to sort out what kind of jazz really connects with you. I will say that Joe Henderson record is one of my favorite jazz records, LMK if you want to get rid...

I've been looking for this thread!

I recently inherited some records from my Grandma and I got the first group the other day. These were the Jazz records in there. Can you guys tell me anything about these?

Bags and Trane - Milt Jackson and John Coltrane

Joe Henderson - In and Out

Bobby Humphrey - Blacks and Blues

Benny Goodman-
The King of Swing Vol 3: 1937-38 Concert No 2,
BG in Hi-Fi,
The Vintage Goodman,
The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert Vol. 1, 2, 3

Bob James -
Obsession
Three (w/ Grover Washington Jr.)

Harry James - All Time Favorites

Quincy Jones- Smackwater Jack

Jonah Jones Quartet -
At The Embers,
Muted Jazz,

The Jimmy Giuffre 3 - Trav'lin Light

You've got a wide range of stuff there from big band swing to hard bop to 70's fusion and jazz funk. Listen to them all and you can begin to sort out what kind of jazz really connects with you. I will say that Joe Henderson record is one of my favorite jazz records, LMK if you want to get rid...

Thanks man I appreciate that. I'm excited to dig in

So, that being said, do you guys have any recommendations for albums to check out by Ella and Louis?

Everything I have bought by Armstrong has been consistent. I'm not a big Ella fan, Billie is my groove, but you can buy the record Ella did with Louis and knock it out in one shot?

I ended up doing the subscription for the first set (shipped over 6 months to spread out the cost), so I will have Blue Train and Grant Green's Idle Moments this Wednesday. I'm very excited to hear what these sound like. If I'm as impressed as you guys are, I'll definitely be subscribing to the second set.

Would you mind sharing what that cost? I can't find any information on their site regarding pricing. Thanks.

The first set is 12 records, sent 2 at a time. There wasn't a discount for doing the subscription, so it's just $35 a piece plus shipping. Is just convenient to have them spread out for budgeting and what not. So, I think it was like $75 for the first shipment of two records.

My daughter is reading a book called the acoustic rooster at school which is about jazz musicians baryard animals (Mule Davis, Ella Finchgerald, Duck Ellington etc). Anyway, since she started talking about it in school and learning more about jazz she's wanted to listen to jazz records. I have some Coltrane and Miles Davis, but she keeps asking me to get some Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald records. How can I not take advantage of this opportunity to share jazz with her right?haha

http://www.discogs.com/Ella-Fitzgerald-And-Louis-Armstrong-Ella-And-Louis/master/173462

This shouldn't be too much money.

Louis Armstrong was the first jazz figure I connected with. I loved the pop stuff (What A Wonderful World) but when I moved to New Orleans, all that was talked about was his hot 7 and early 20's and 30's music. There's a reason the guy was the biggest jazz artist in the world, he was simply the best trumpeter for a long time. His early music is crazy good. 

The first set is 12 records, sent 2 at a time. There wasn't a discount for doing the subscription, so it's just $35 a piece plus shipping. Is just convenient to have them spread out for budgeting and what not. So, I think it was like $75 for the first shipment of two records.

Thank you for that. Do you get to choose which records, and how far in advance do you have to let them know? Just browsing their selection, I've been thinking about giving the subscription a go, but I don't even know where to start. There are a couple I know I would like for certain, but after that it would be like fumbling in the dark.

I believe they just send them in the order that they are listed in the subscription page. So, I got Coltrane's Blue Train and Grant Green's Idle Moments today, numbers 1 and 2. It sounds like you can request how they are delivered and the frequency they are delivered. I just asked to have them sent 2 at a time, once a month, but you may be able to make other requests. They look awesome. I can't wait to listen to them tomorrow.

http://www.discogs.com/Ella-Fitzgerald-And-Louis-Armstrong-Ella-And-Louis/master/173462

This shouldn't be too much money.

Louis Armstrong was the first jazz figure I connected with. I loved the pop stuff (What A Wonderful World) but when I moved to New Orleans, all that was talked about was his hot 8 and early 20's and 30's music. There's a reason the guy was the biggest jazz artist in the world, he was simply the best trumpeter for a long time. His early music is crazy good. 

Sweet, thanks! I'm looking at a few of his albums. Do you know anything about Ambassador Satch? Is that one worth grabbing?

Ambassador Satch is a pretty good beginning point, it's from the 50's but doesn't have the novelty type songs he was becoming popular for by then. If you like it then look for the collections of Satch with the Hot 5 and Hot 7 from the 20's and 30's which is the material that really established him as the definitive jazz trumpeter.

Got turned on to this jazz drummer by the name of Makaya McCraven who put out an album in January called "In The Moment".  It's up over on his bandcamp page and is definitely worth checking out because of how the album was created and well, how good it is.  It is available in various formats and of course, double LP.

a1054862901_2.jpg

"Nearly 48 hours of live improvised performance recorded at 1 venue over 12 months and 28 shows - culled, cut, rendered, and remixed into 19 potent pieces of organic beat music."

Anyway, I thought it sounded pretty good so there you have it.  

https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/in-the-moment

So are the Music Matters issues definitely worth it? Considering getting Somethin Else but they're $15 more than the standard issue.

They sound so amazing that you'll immediately throw your Blue Note 75s in the trash. Easily the best sound records you will ever own and will spoil you forever. 

This is a cool site to peruse if you want to get acquainted with the expensive world of jazz collecting. http://jazzcollector.com/

This story was an interesting read.  Would love to come across and dig through a collection like this : http://jazzcollector.com/features/the-complete-jazz-collector-bruce-m-west-collection/