MM is being extremely coy about whether they are going to continue the series or not, and the move to only selling direct has been a bit shady as well. Originally they claimed this would stop distributors marking up low stock titles, then they went ahead and did exactly that themselves. Lots of interesting discussion about this one the Hoffman forum.

1 hour ago, arem said:

MM is being extremely coy about whether they are going to continue the series or not, and the move to only selling direct has been a bit shady as well. Originally they claimed this would stop distributors marking up low stock titles, then they went ahead and did exactly that themselves. Lots of interesting discussion about this one the Hoffman forum.

I did notice that prices have gone up. They did say on their site that they plan on releasing six(?) more 33 1/3 titles this year. I don't know, I appreciate their product and hope they continue.

7 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I did notice that prices have gone up. They did say on their site that they plan on releasing six(?) more 33 1/3 titles this year. I don't know, I appreciate their product and hope they continue.

Those six titles were the last 6 of 2015, they haven't announced any new titles for this year or even confirmed that the series will continue at all. People have asked directly on their Facebook page and all MM have said is that there is no news to announce. And that people should buy the existing titles while they can, which is what I have been doing. 

11 minutes ago, arem said:

Those six titles were the last 6 of 2015, they haven't announced any new titles for this year or even confirmed that the series will continue at all. People have asked directly on their Facebook page and all MM have said is that there is no news to announce. And that people should buy the existing titles while they can, which is what I have been doing. 

That's a bummer. I must have misread it. I have also written them about it and got no reply. I was hoping for Afro Cuban in 33 format. The 45 is a pain in the ass and I'm not convinced it makes that much of a difference unless you have a $10,000 table and all the comparable components. I may have to break down and get it anyway.

Wound up ordering the Kind of Blue MoFi.

Are there any (in print) MM LPs that you guys would recommend as must-own? The only one I have is Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder, and I only got that because my local record store had it priced at $20 for some reason (I think they or the distro confused it with the Blue Note reissue?)

1 hour ago, surfingelectrode said:

Wound up ordering the Kind of Blue MoFi.

Are there any (in print) MM LPs that you guys would recommend as must-own? The only one I have is Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder, and I only got that because my local record store had it priced at $20 for some reason (I think they or the distro confused it with the Blue Note reissue?)

That is a tough one. Everyone will have their own opinion. You did good on the Sidewinder. If I had to pick one out of the 33 series it would be Blue Train. Little Jonny C is also great if you are a fan of blazing trumpet skills. I'm a big fan of Bud Powell, so that one. Not a big Gordon fan and haven't heard the Kenny Clarke/Francy Boland, but you really can't go wrong with any of them. It just depends what sound you are looking for. If you're on a Miles kick you want to get Somethin' Else.

It's really subjective depending on what your taste in jazz is. If you like bluesy, swinging stuff go for Art Blakey "Moanin" (just back in stock), or Sonny Clark "Cool Struttin". If you like things that are a bit more "out" try Andrew Hill - Point of Departure or Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch.

Honestly, the best thing to do is check out titles you are interested in on Spotify to see if you really dig the music before you plunk down 40-50 dollars on a record.

Good bump guys. Haven't bought too much jazz recently. I did, however, find this obscure Brazilian jazz record recently. I haven't listened to it yet, but since it goes for so much, I bet it's probably pretty freaking good.

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=desenhos+brasil&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=ddate&endfrom=&endthru=&ipp=&sdc=&x=0&y=0

Also, it was at a thrift store for $2 that had just been picked over by a local second-hand store that now sells the vinylz. He also missed a first pressing of Coleman Hawkins - "The Hawk Flies High." It was also $2.

14 hours ago, robes said:

Does anyone have the new Coltrane 'A Love Supreme' 3xLP? I'm curious as to how it sounds? Some Discogs reviews mentioned some issues. 

This pressing is really solid, imo. I grabbed it based on the feedback of a Vinyl Community member on Youtube that does a lot of jazz reviews. He collects Music Matters, Analogue Productions, etc. The feedback on this was that he thought it sounded as good as his Analogue Productions copy.  Here's the video he did on it:  

Also, does anyone know of anywhere that still has the MoFi edition of Bitches Brew? I've been putting off getting it forever and now I guess it's out of print? 

I know that a Barnes and Noble near me has a copy, but I remember that it had a pretty thrashed jacket with seam splits when I saw it a couple of months ago. Not paying full price for that. 

On 5/15/2016 at 3:16 AM, robes said:

Does anyone have the new Coltrane 'A Love Supreme' 3xLP? I'm curious as to how it sounds? Some Discogs reviews mentioned some issues. 

I'm going to disagree with the other posters here, to me the package is a bit of a letdown. This should have a deluxe presentation like the Music Matters Blue Notes or the AP Prestige releases, but instead it's a standard thin cardboard gatefold, no glossy finish or heavy cardstock. The booklet looks nice, but the records come in cheap plain white sleeves and look a bit hazy and swirly. Additionally the first set I got had so much surface noise that I had to return it, Soundstage Direct was good enough to send a replacement that was an improvement but still a long way from the quality of MM or AP. 

I'd love to get the Analogue Productions version but I think spreading the music over four sides really breaks up the flow of the music too much. It was conceived as two sides and I'd prefer to listen to it that way. Wish I could find a decently priced copy of the Speakers Corner pressing. 

Edited by arem

5 hours ago, arem said:

I'm going to disagree with the other posters here, to me the package is a bit of a letdown. This should have a deluxe presentation like the Music Matters Blue Notes or the AP Prestige releases, but instead it's a standard thin cardboard gatefold, no glossy finish or heavy cardstock. The booklet looks nice, but the records come in cheap plain white sleeves and look a bit hazy and swirly. Additionally the first set I got had so much surface noise that I had to return it, Soundstage Direct was good enough to send a replacement that was an improvement but still a long way from the quality of MM or AP. 

I'd love to get the Analogue Productions version but I think spreading the music over four sides really breaks up the flow of the music too much. It was conceived as two sides and I'd prefer to listen to it that way. Wish I could find a decently priced copy of the Speakers Corner pressing. 

Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I'd love to own a deluxe pressing of this album, but not sure if this is the one. Alternately, I know there is a EU pressing of the same release, I might try and track that one down. 

Also, in regards to the gatefold sleeve, since it's a 3LP, is it one of those sleeves where two of the LPs are stuck in one opening? or are all three stored separately? 

Edited by robes

28 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Does anyone here actually try to buy original pressings? I know that some of them are prohibitively expensive, but you can find many for around what some people on VC spend on shitty pop punk records.

Yes, I tend to only buy original pressings. It severely limits the amount I actually buy. Chasing first pressings keeps me only buying records minimally. 

Lexi, I meant to ask, will you bump your soul/blues thread? I tried to search for it, but never could find it.

17 hours ago, arem said:

The package for this was a big opportunity for them and a big miss on their part.  This is begging for a higher quality package than it has been given so far there are great examples of how this can be done right.

But just to be clear, when you're saying it's a long way from MM or AP, you're referring to packaging only not the pressing, correct? Or have you heard the AP version?  I'd love to get another opinion on the pressing differences as I've kept myself open to the idea of picking up an AP version at some point 

44 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

Yes, I tend to only buy original pressings. It severely limits the amount I actually buy. Chasing first pressings keeps me only buying records minimally. 

Lexi, I meant to ask, will you bump your soul/blues thread? I tried to search for it, but never could find it.

It just surprises me that there seems to mostly be talk about reissues. I understand it's probably a price thing, but I am always hunting for those elusive early or first pressings of jazz, especially.

I will try to find that soul thread.

3 hours ago, sinatra.45 said:

The package for this was a big opportunity for them and a big miss on their part.  This is begging for a higher quality package than it has been given so far there are great examples of how this can be done right.

But just to be clear, when you're saying it's a long way from MM or AP, you're referring to packaging only not the pressing, correct? Or have you heard the AP version?  I'd love to get another opinion on the pressing differences as I've kept myself open to the idea of picking up an AP version at some point 

No, I'm referring to the actual vinyl as well. I haven't heard the AP "Love Supreme" but I have a few of their other titles and they are flawlessly pressed and sound amazing. The "Complete" set was pressed at United, which should tell you everything you need to know.