2 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Very cool, but ya gotta open that sucker up and play it!

Nah that for sure has to stay sealed. I bought one for myself at a thrift-store a while back not knowing he had that copy anyway, so I still have a playable one.

If he kept it sealed that long, it's probably the way he wanted it.

Found out about these guys recently. I'm really diggin what they are doing, the backstory is funny also:

"Jazz Sabbath (1968) were at the forefront of the new English jazz movement. Their album would be released on 13 Feb 1970, but founding member and pianist Milton Keanes was hospitalised with a massive heart attack.

When Milton was released from hospital in Sep 1970, he found out that a band from Birmingham had since released two albums containing so-called metal versions of his songs."

https://jazzsabbath.bandcamp.com/album/jazz-sabbath

8 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

First off, I came across this Shabaka and the Ancestors PO and thought it looked interesting. I'm still digesting the music, but, so far, so good. Amzn PO Write up and strange video Here.

We Are Sent Here By History [2 LP]

In other news, I have a neighbor who has a massive collection of records that were her parents'. Rooms and rooms full and they are looking to someday sell. I tried to get them to let me look at them and they said "it's just a mess". Pulled my hair out. Finally they were having another garage sale and I went back and got them to at least let me look through one shelf. Right away I found about 10 Jackie McClean records. Unfortunately, her parents really played the records and most suffered from condition problems, but there were also sealed OJC pressings and the like. There were also NY pressings of Blue Note and Bergenfield deep groove Prestige. There is tremendous potential in this collection and if it were 20 years ago, I would have really been losing my shit trying to get them to let me go through more of them. Apparently, they are letting some random guy they met at the flea market go through them and help them price them. I told them about Discogs and how to look up prices, so they wouldn't get cheated. Hopefully, I will be able to get back in. We did exchange numbers and maybe it will pay off. I was tempted to throw out a nice number for the entire collection, but I just don't think I have the energy anymore to deal with it. My guesstimation is that I would have to rent a moving truck and it would eat up a lot of time. I think if all the titles were in a lot better condition, I'd probably do it. I'd bet there are some sealed super rare jazz and soul buried in there. Maybe I will get to find out!

Let's move to the same town, open a store and kill it. 

This is Christian Scott, he's a New Orleans born jazz musician. His uncle is fellow NO jazz great, Donald Harrison. His grandfather was a co-founder of a great soul label, NOLA Records. I played this on a whim and it's a great example of contemporary jazz. I love the live drum sound here. It has parts that feel like it's going to be hip hop or maybe a pop song. But's it's all jazz. That smokey trumpet sound. Fusion-esque guitar. It's great!

• 1 month later...

Anybody hip on these Music Matters Blue Note SRX reissues? Very expensive with a ridiculously awesome sound, very high demand, crashing their site, people freaking out on their social medias, etc. Just scored a copy of Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder (Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else was the other title onsale today, but I already have Analogue Productions' 2LP 45rpm pressing, so I didn't even try for that one) and I'm pretty excited. They're issuing Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil on the SRX format next month!

EDIT: Ah, just saw the initial announcement is posted on the last page.

Edited by erikness

6 minutes ago, erikness said:

Anybody hip on these Music Matters Blue Note SRX reissues? Very expensive with a ridiculously awesome sound, very high demand, crashing their site, people freaking out on their social medias, etc. Just scored a copy of Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder (Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else was the other title onsale today, but I already have Analogue Productions' 2LP 45rpm pressing, so I didn't even try for that one) and I'm pretty excited. They're issuing Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil on the SRX format next month!

EDIT: Ah, just saw the initial announcement is posted on the last page.

Is it a sale or did they just put new titles up? I got the SRX version of A Blowing Session by Johnny Griffin and it sounds beautiful. I don't know how it compares to other versions. I can't load the site.

Just now, lexicondevil said:

Is it a sale or did they just put new titles up? I got the SRX version of A Blowing Session by Johnny Griffin and it sounds beautiful. I don't know how it compares to other versions. I can't load the site.

Yeah, I have both Johnny Griffin SRXs and they both sound amazing. I sold my 45rpm VMP copy of Blowing Session after I got the SRX.

These new drops (1500 copies) sell out in like 20 minutes now though. Gotta be on the wait when they're put up. And they're $75. 😎😎

Just now, erikness said:

Yeah, I have both Johnny Griffin SRXs and they both sound amazing. I sold my 45rpm VMP copy of Blowing Session after I got the SRX.

These new drops (1500 copies) sell out in like 20 minutes now though. Gotta be on the wait when they're put up. And they're $75. 😎😎

Damn. Finally got on and saw Sidewinder is gone. I can't fucking believe that I don't have a nice copy of that. I can't tell you how many times over the last 20 years I've seen early/original pressings and always just hung back thinking I'd find it for a better price. I would have loved to snag that one. They sure have jumped up the price, though. I think I'm going to get the other Johnny Griffin record, since it's there and still lower priced.

For those of you who are Jazz lovers and are looking for a place to start, Vinyl Wings is a jazz vinyl subscription based in the UK. You get a choice of 3 records per month and you pick the two you like best. It's all focused on jazz and some soul music as well currently, but may be of interest to some of you! Each box comes with a note on the choice of albums and artists and a bit of history too!

8 hours ago, Vinyl Wings said:

For those of you who are Jazz lovers and are looking for a place to start, Vinyl Wings is a jazz vinyl subscription based in the UK. You get a choice of 3 records per month and you pick the two you like best. It's all focused on jazz and some soul music as well currently, but may be of interest to some of you! Each box comes with a note on the choice of albums and artists and a bit of history too!

This looks pretty sweet (I just wish Soul & Blues were tied together instead of grouping each with Rock/Jazz). The first thing that came to mind though was how everything looked identical to Vinyl Me, Please; the concept, the website, the different tracks, everything. Is this affiliated with VMP in some way? 

11 hours ago, Vinyl Wings said:

What is the upside of this? Does the price come out cheaper than if you were to just buy these titles somewhere else? People could just search this thread or ask for suggestions and buy it on their own. Not trying to bag on your business, I just don't understand why a jazz fan would enter into a subscription like this when the titles/pressings don't seem to be exclusive.  Now, if Music Matters had a subscription for their Blue Note records, I'd be all over that.

18 hours ago, RowBearToe said:

This looks pretty sweet (I just wish Soul & Blues were tied together instead of grouping each with Rock/Jazz). The first thing that came to mind though was how everything looked identical to Vinyl Me, Please; the concept, the website, the different tracks, everything. Is this affiliated with VMP in some way? 

Hey RowBearToe,

Haha well, I guess I'll take it as a compliment if it looks like VMP since they're probably one of the biggest guys doing this! 

Not at all affiliated with them, to be quite frank this is a pretty small operation in the UK started by myself and a few friends. We wanted to bring more of the music we loved, and strongly felt that Jazz was underrepresented today in both popular media and vinyl subscription offers, so we decided to make our own!

14 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

What is the upside of this? Does the price come out cheaper than if you were to just buy these titles somewhere else? People could just search this thread or ask for suggestions and buy it on their own. Not trying to bag on your business, I just don't understand why a jazz fan would enter into a subscription like this when the titles/pressings don't seem to be exclusive.  Now, if Music Matters had a subscription for their Blue Note records, I'd be all over that.

Well, I'm hoping that the upside is that we don't just reach the experienced jazz aficionados but also interest younger people in the genre. Sadly, I feel that it's a bit of a dying art and it's a shame because I find it musically phenomenal and creatively unparalleled. 

To answer your question, the kick is that we bring customers choices of what we love and think is worth a listen and try to bring the back story to each album and artist in our monthly boxes as well! Cost-wise it may be slightly above going out and buying them yourself (although frankly not by much given new pressing prices today), but it's the luxury of having someone select, research, send and package everything for you, for your enjoyment every month!

On 5/9/2020 at 7:54 AM, Vinyl Wings said:

Hey RowBearToe,

Haha well, I guess I'll take it as a compliment if it looks like VMP since they're probably one of the biggest guys doing this! 

Not at all affiliated with them, to be quite frank this is a pretty small operation in the UK started by myself and a few friends. We wanted to bring more of the music we loved, and strongly felt that Jazz was underrepresented today in both popular media and vinyl subscription offers, so we decided to make our own!

Well, I'm hoping that the upside is that we don't just reach the experienced jazz aficionados but also interest younger people in the genre. Sadly, I feel that it's a bit of a dying art and it's a shame because I find it musically phenomenal and creatively unparalleled. 

To answer your question, the kick is that we bring customers choices of what we love and think is worth a listen and try to bring the back story to each album and artist in our monthly boxes as well! Cost-wise it may be slightly above going out and buying them yourself (although frankly not by much given new pressing prices today), but it's the luxury of having someone select, research, send and package everything for you, for your enjoyment every month!

Very cool, good luck! I love most of your choices already!

• 2 months later...

Universal Beings E&F Sides
by Makaya McCraven

https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/universal-beings-e-f-sides

*Limited Edition of 555* 140-gram Pellucid Mahogany color vinyl LP (pressed by Pallas in Germany) inside a heavyweight matte jacket (artwork by Damon Locks), plus insert sheet and dome patterned inner-sleeve. 

An addendum to Makaya McCraven's critically-acclaimed 2018 release Universal Beings, which The New York Times said "affirms the drummer and beatsmith's position as a major figure in creative music," Universal Beings E&F Sides presents fourteen new pieces of organic beat music cut from the original sessions, prepared and produced by Makaya as a soundtrack to the Universal Beings documentary film. 

18 hours ago, coolio said:

Universal Beings E&F Sides
by Makaya McCraven

https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/universal-beings-e-f-sides

*Limited Edition of 555* 140-gram Pellucid Mahogany color vinyl LP (pressed by Pallas in Germany) inside a heavyweight matte jacket (artwork by Damon Locks), plus insert sheet and dome patterned inner-sleeve. 

An addendum to Makaya McCraven's critically-acclaimed 2018 release Universal Beings, which The New York Times said "affirms the drummer and beatsmith's position as a major figure in creative music," Universal Beings E&F Sides presents fourteen new pieces of organic beat music cut from the original sessions, prepared and produced by Makaya as a soundtrack to the Universal Beings documentary film. 

Ordered this with the quickness yesterday. Universal Beings was a favorite of 2018. 

This artist should be more known - Maryanne Ito. I don't know much about her, except that she is in Hawaii. Very breezy jazz/neo-soul sound. I just recently bought her live record on Discogs.  The musicians on that recording are also really tight. Listen to that live session here - https://maryanneito.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-the-atherton

This video is from another live session.

https://www.discogs.com/Rudolph-Johnson-The-Second-Coming/release/3492819

So I picked through an old man's collection  a couple years back and picked this up for relatively cheap. $5-10, easy buy.  It was VG and I cared more about flipping my money and getting $50 for it. Fast forward a couple months ago, had the opportunity to dig through a shop's dead stock that recently closed here. Found it again. It's a promo so I toyed with the idea of flipping it, but there's a scratch that causes a skip. Since I can't sell it, I'll keep it. This time it was only $3. I haven't heard a bad album on the Black Jazz label:

• 2 months later...