18 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

We talking this new QRP Kevin Gray AAA A Love Supreme pressing? Perfection. 

I have the 2x12” 45 rpm that They did a few years ago and this sounds identical. 

and it’s less than $30. Tip on sleeve. 180g too. 

I have this coming in the mail later this week and I'm pretty excited to hear it.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:08 PM, somethingvinyl said:

https://www.discogs.com/Rudolph-Johnson-The-Second-Coming/release/3492819

So I picked through an old man's collection  a couple years back and picked this up for relatively cheap. $5-10, easy buy.  It was VG and I cared more about flipping my money and getting $50 for it. Fast forward a couple months ago, had the opportunity to dig through a shop's dead stock that recently closed here. Found it again. It's a promo so I toyed with the idea of flipping it, but there's a scratch that causes a skip. Since I can't sell it, I'll keep it. This time it was only $3. I haven't heard a bad album on the Black Jazz label:

I have the entire catalog except for Skipper at Home by Henry Franklin. I did get to meet him and have him sign my other record.

2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I have the 2x12” 45 rpm that They did a few years ago and this sounds identical. 

Can't remember if mine is original pressing our just early. May need to check this. I will say I haven't been overly impressed with any repressings that I've compared to original or early pressings.

2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I got this last week. It is absolutely fantastic value for what you get as well. The dynamics are insane. Ballads is also great for the most part (my copy was a tad bit noisier than ALS). Hopefully the Nina titles will be equally fantastic, definitely looking forward to those.

Also I finally started diving into the Tone Poet series thanks to the Target B2G1 sale. I have the 2 Herbie titles, Money Jungle, and It's Time. Anyone got recs?

Edit: also happy belated 80th b-day to Pharoah Sanders

Edited by KaitouG

On 10/14/2020 at 9:38 PM, lexicondevil said:

I have the entire catalog except for Skipper at Home by Henry Franklin. I did get to meet him and have him sign my other record.

The place I mentioned I got Rudolph I also got that Skipper At Home but the cover was wrecked. But a great LP.  I got to find a jacket cheaply.

26 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

The place I mentioned I got Rudolph I also got that Skipper At Home but the cover was wrecked. But a great LP.  I got to find a jacket cheaply.

I could have easily scored a nice copy for $40 years ago. I just slept, thinking I'd come across it someday. Looks more unlikely since the price has jumped. One hole in my Black Jazz collection. I paid twenty or less for all my other titles.

I got the ALS AAA myself yesterday, played it twice already. It was the best I've heard the album, I have not heard an original stereo but I have heard an original mono. I highly recommend anyone who enjoys this album to pick up a copy, not sure how many more times this is going to get cut from tape.  

Just listened to my stereo '65 record club pressing of A Love Supreme. I compared this to the newly received Kevin Gray pressing. The overall sound is close, but the '65 pressing is a bit more lively, especially the sounds of the percussion. I've noticed this with most recent pressings compared to originals. The new are slightly muted and less colorful. This is most apparent when comparing Blue Train. This one isn't as noticeable and is a perfectly good alternative if you can't track down a '65 pressing. If you already have the first, or I suspect most early pressings, you really don't need this one. Just one non-audiophile's opinion.