Ok, I now have a decent arsenal of Jazz on my computer with plenty of names and albums to search for when I'm at a shop next. Thanks for that, again. 

I have what may be a silly question, but I got it while traveling through space listing to Charles Mingus.

I started by listening to The Clown, the first track, Haitian Fight Song stuck out to me. I feel like there is an attitude that goes along with it. 

Then I listened to The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady, which at least the first few tracks, I feel the same attitude. I really like it by the way, I'm down with these two albums, and more I've heard from Mingus. 

Anyways, it got me thinking...Were there any Jazz musicians or bands that were known for being pricks, or for having a 'fuck you' attitude? Someone who would make a 'darker' blend of jazz, something with that wasn't too friendly. Ummm, somebody who would punch you in the face then kiss your lady, you know what I mean? A down right mean mother fucker making jazz. 

Hope so.

Back in the old days a lot of these cats would carry blades and pistols in case of disputes.

...and most of them were druggies. Totally punk rock if you ask me.

I'm listening to Kenny Burrell right now that's to a recommendation in this thread, and I love the guitar. I'm also a big fan of the French horn. I'm not sure if this is considered a typical jazz instrument, but if there is a jazz musician that uses the French horn prominently I would love to check it out. Thanks.

I'm listening to Kenny Burrell right now that's to a recommendation in this thread, and I love the guitar. I'm also a big fan of the French horn. I'm not sure if this is considered a typical jazz instrument, but if there is a jazz musician that uses the French horn prominently I would love to check it out. Thanks.

Here's some good stuff by Julius Watkins on Blue Note. I've always wanted to pick up Vol. 1 and 2. I think they were originally on 10"?

http://youtu.be/xy-gO9u7SQ0

EDIT: Can someone tell me how to get a video to show up in the post? I use to be able to do it.

Here's some good stuff by Julius Watkins on Blue Note. I've always wanted to pick up Vol. 1 and 2. I think they were originally on 10"?

http://youtu.be/xy-gO9u7SQ0

EDIT: Can someone tell me how to get a video to show up in the post? I use to be able to do it.

Thank you! Sounds great.

I forgot to mention the great Placebo, fantastic Belgian 70s funky fusion jazz. Especially Ball Of Eyes is a classic record!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVR1aSENdeU

Thanks for posting this. I really like it. Unfortunately, the only download I could find was a vinyl rip and it has a ton of pops. 

Thanks for posting this. I really like it. Unfortunately, the only download I could find was a vinyl rip and it has a ton of pops. 

I had the same problem. There's only been 2 official pressings, 1 vinyl and 1 cd (released in Japan). I was able to find the Japan pressing a while back, but can't find it anymore as well. I'll try to upload it somewhere and send you a link.

Nevermind, I just found it again. i'll send you a pm.

I started by listening to The Clown, the first track, Haitian Fight Song stuck out to me. I feel like there is an attitude that goes along with it. 

Then I listened to The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady, which at least the first few tracks, I feel the same attitude. I really like it by the way, I'm down with these two albums, and more I've heard from Mingus.

That's the reason The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is one of my favourite albums ever - the attitude. Still sounds incredible every time I play it. Very lucky to find an early mono HMV press of that a couple of weeks ago.

Haitian Fight Song is one of my faves too. I had an Impulse compilation a few years back with a different version of HFS on it, but can't remember the details right now. Really love "Freedom", too.

Let me introduce you to the guitar-driven sounds of Mr. Kenny Burrell:

I received my 180 gram repress of Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue on Saturday and it sounds amazing! I spent the night drinking with some friends and came home to relax with this record, perfect way to finish off a Saturday.

I received my 180 gram repress of Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue on Saturday and it sounds amazing! I spent the night drinking with some friends and came home to relax with this record, perfect way to finish off a Saturday.

As usual I read lots of debates over the reissue versions....anyone have input? 200gram vs 180 gram...stereo vs mono?

Im waiting to pick up a copy with some gift cards and looking to see what other listeners like....Im leaning towards stereo but just thought I would ask....either way Im sure its going to sound stellar but figured it was worth a post....oh and thanks for sharing....I havent heard this album in years and with now that I have the proper setup for vinyl I figured it was worth buying a new copy since I cant find my old version from high school anywhere....thanks!

The weight of a record is debatable. But by my logic, mono is always the preferred choice for older records if they were released in mono first. It's the truest representation of the way the album was meant to be heard. A lot of times the stereo versions are just terrible. 

Well there is a huge price difference between the stereo version on amazon and mono version elsewhere with burrell. Thanks for the info and I'm glad I found this thread...I love my metal and rap and techno but nothing beats a vinyl jazz recording....it always is so nice to just be able to close your eyes while listening to these recordings and feel like the artists are right in front of you

Went over to friends' house recently and they apparently inherited their Aunt's record collection a while back. They don't care too much about the records, sometimes they listen, but it's more sentimental than complete appreciation for the records. Half way through I had to stop looking, as it was too painful to see all of the titles in amazing condition. Just saw stuff that you rarely see like almost every record on Black Jazz Records, early Bergenfield pressing Prestige records, lots of Latin jazz, though no Blue Note that I have seen so far. I'm afraid to see what else is in there. They did end up giving me a deep groove mono copy of "Kirk's Work" by Roland Kirk with Jack McDuff. Hopefully they will be kind enough to kick down some more.

The only jazz record I own is John Coltrane - A Love Supreme, which was one of the first records I bought. I absolutely love that album!

I'm currently looking to find Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool and Charlie Parker - Jazz at Massey Hall

I honestly don't know much about the different styles within jazz and that kind of thing. I just listen to stuff and fall in love with some things and don't really care for others. These 3 albums all stood out to me right away when listening to them, and I still love to listen to them.

For any Kenny Burrell or John Coltrane fans: their album is only $9.98 on amazon. Decent price for a fantastic record. Also features the rhythm section responsible for a large portion of Miles Davis' work, including Kind Of Blue.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenny-Burrell-John-Coltrane/dp/B000000XBN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397505213&sr=8-2&keywords=kenny+burrell+vinyl