For any Kenny Burrell or John Coltrane fans: their album is only $9.98 on amazon. Decent price for a fantastic record. Also features the rhythm section responsible for a large portion of Miles Davis' work, including Kind Of Blue.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenny-Burrell-John-Coltrane/dp/B000000XBN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397505213&sr=8-2&keywords=kenny+burrell+vinyl

same pressing at Best Buy for $7.99: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenny-burrell-john-coltrane-lp-vinyl/19236968.p?id=2213586&skuId=19236968

Anyone aside from me planning to pick up Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey - Millions on RSD?

They're amazing live so I'll be pretty pumped to finally have a live record from them.

Dang...I am not into doing RSD this year, but will keep an eye out for that. I got the 7" they put out for RSD a few years back, but it was way after RSD during a store's closing sale.

I saw them at Bear Creek in 2010, and since I happened to be a guest of an artist, I got to hang out backstage all weekend and was given a copy of "The Sensation of Seeing Light"...well, it was a single LP that had the same two songs on each side, but it was free, so no complaints haha.

I also got to meet MMW that year, which was the highlight of the weekend for me...oh, and Corey Glover of Living Colour too since he was playing with Galactic. B)

For bassists, I would start you off with Ron Carter (played w/Miles, Freddie, and a ton of others), Ray Brown, Jimmy Garrison (Coltrane), Charlie Haden (Ornette), and Dave Holland (plays on Bitches Brew).

This is a killer comp if you can get your hands on one...they can be found cheaper than this, so ignore the price here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Various-THE-BASS-ABC-Impulse-ASY-9284-3-Jazz-3xLP-Records-Box-Set-WLP-NM-/121137716156

For bassists, I would start you off with Ron Carter (played w/Miles, Freddie, and a ton of others), Ray Brown, Jimmy Garrison (Coltrane), Charlie Haden (Ornette), and Dave Holland (plays on Kind of Blue).

Paul Chambers played bass on Kind Of Blue actually.

Awesome, I'll look for him on other artists work. I'd like to dig into some bassist too.

I second checking out Ron Carter, Ray Brown and Jimmy Garrison. Also Paul Chambers. Dude was the go-to jazz bassist around '55-'60. Played on the majority of Miles Davis' and John Coltrane's records during that time period. 

Of course, the jazz bassist to end all jazz bassists is Jaco Pastorius. He had more of a modern, electric style compared to the above players, but he's widely considered by most to be the greatest of all time.

Paul Chambers played bass on Kind Of Blue actually.

I second checking out Ron Carter, Ray Brown and Jimmy Garrison. Also Paul Chambers. Dude was the go-to jazz bassist around '55-'60. Played on the majority of Miles Davis' and John Coltrane's records during that time period.

Of course, the jazz bassist to end all jazz bassists is Jaco Pastorius. He had more of a modern, electric style compared to the above players, but he's widely considered by most to be the greatest of all time.

Yes, thank you for correcting me on Paul Chambers. Holland played on Bitches Brew, my bad yo...I knew he played with Miles haha.

Also, Jaco is in fact incredible. Plus Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, and Marcus Miller (and so on haha)...I didn't mention them but they belong in the discussion, particularly for some of the fusion stuff they did.

Im a fairly new convert to Jazz, heard Miles Davis Bitches Brew and was kinda like "what the hell is this?". Didnt really get it at the time. Then over a few drinks and other social lubricants I heard In a Silent Way, playing out from a small vintage stereo onto a deck on a clear evening around a little brazier fire. Mind Blowing.

Will be purchasing both In a Silent Way and Sketches of Spain on mofi in the next month or so, I hear they are really great versions of these two masterpieces. Will most likely get Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue when they finally arrive on mofi too.

Also I really really appreciate Sun Ra. And quite frankly dont like the big band stuff. Think Im all about the weird more freer end of the jazz spectrum?

Im a fairly new convert to Jazz, heard Miles Davis Bitches Brew and was kinda like "what the hell is this?". Didnt really get it at the time. Then over a few drinks and other social lubricants I heard In a Silent Way, playing out from a small vintage stereo onto a deck on a clear evening around a little brazier fire. Mind Blowing.

Will be purchasing both In a Silent Way and Sketches of Spain on mofi in the next month or so, I hear they are really great versions of these two masterpieces. Will most likely get Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue when they finally arrive on mofi too.

Also I really really appreciate Sun Ra. And quite frankly dont like the big band stuff. Think Im all about the weird more freer end of the jazz spectrum?

Check out Herbie Hancock's mid-70s output if you like weird synthed out stuff...Mwandishi, Crossings, and Sextant are where it is at!

For example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk0L3RXYxS0