Tooth & Nail Sell Catalog To Capitol Christian Music Group

This is definitely a bummer, because this is a lot of the music I grew up with.  Brent was doing an awesome job with a lot of Tooth and Nail / Solid State releases with Broken Circles, and I was really hoping he could've done a lot more, and actually done them right.  It would be great to see something happen behind the curtain with all of this, but I guess that's a pretty big dream.

Let's just do bootlegs, haha.

• 1 month later...

Tooth and Nail just posted this photo to Instagram, they are reissueing Underoath's first two albums, Act of Depression and Cries of the Past on August 20th. Maybe they can do some vinyl runs of it too like they did with TCOT and TOCS.

http://instagram.com/p/cPm1NZt8oA/#

I hope so, I'd kill for a repress of Define too. I seriously can't believe they haven't taken advantage by doing so.

Growing up in FLA and having the chance to see Underoath nearly once a month, it was my dream to come across AOD or COTP in a pawn shop and sell them on ebay when they were going for $100 a piece. I never did. These CDs were tough to come by.

Also, this stuff was owned by Takehold and sold to T&N when they bought Chad Johnson/Takehold out. So, DTGL will probably never be repressed unless Capitol decides to do it for the fans.

Growing up in FLA and having the chance to see Underoath nearly once a month, it was my dream to come across AOD or COTP in a pawn shop and sell them on ebay when they were going for $100 a piece. I never did. These CDs were tough to come by.

Also, this stuff was owned by Takehold and sold to T&N when they bought Chad Johnson/Takehold out. So, DTGL will probably never be repressed unless Capitol decides to do it for the fans.

I bought those two cds when Takehold was selling off all it's stock dirt cheap. I think I paid $2 each for them.

I then sold them off when they were going for $100 a piece on ebay.

IMO those eps are kinda boring. The Changing Of Times was leaps and bounds better!

• 1 month later...

you know whats not cool?  a jesus record label documentary.

This is WHY I'm interested though... if you were into some of the mid-wave bands (as I was), there was A LOT of issues with the label and how things were handled.

There was a distinct period of time where nearly every harder band that touched T&N renounced their stance as a 'christian' band and bailed on the label as soon as they could.

it's a starflyer reference (the film title).

i mean, i still love 90's tooth and nail, but this documentary is gonna be stacked entirely towards brandon ebel and his pursuits. his very well known reputation for ripping bands off is gonna be glossed over in favor of painting him as some revolutionary trying to save (christian) rock and roll. The blurb on the site about the label being 'the most controversial of the 90's' is also completely ridiculous.

The scene: 1997

"We knew that it was the end of the line for the label and MxPx when Brandon and Mike got into a fist fight during an instore signing in the middle of a Family Christian Bookstore in Tuscaloosa. It was insanity from there on; when Mike threw the first punch, Brandon almost knocked himself out trying to duck the assault when he ran headlong into a display of Testamints and Thomas Kincaid prints. He ended up knocking the entire thing over, and the most vivid thing I remember was some kid frantically running out of the way to avoid the melee, yelling that he just wanted a copy of the latest dc talk cd..."

I grew up listening to mostly T&N bands from about 2002-2008 and I never had a grasp on T&N's reputation (except for them having a lot of really talented bands at some point or another) until a couple of years ago. I'd be vaguely interested to see this.

Still pissed as hell about the Capitol deal, though. So many fantastic albums won't get the pressing they deserve.

The scene: 1997

"We knew that it was the end of the line for the label and MxPx when Brandon and Mike got into a fist fight during an instore signing in the middle of a Family Christian Bookstore in Tuscaloosa. It was insanity from there on; when Mike threw the first punch, Brandon almost knocked himself out trying to duck the assault when he ran headlong into a display of Testamints and Thomas Kincaid prints. He ended up knocking the entire thing over, and the most vivid thing I remember was some kid frantically running out of the way to avoid the melee, yelling that he just wanted a copy of the latest dc talk cd..."

hahahahaha

This is WHY I'm interested though... if you were into some of the mid-wave bands (as I was), there was A LOT of issues with the label and how things were handled.

There was a distinct period of time where nearly every harder band that touched T&N renounced their stance as a 'christian' band and bailed on the label as soon as they could.

thank you for reminding me about that bullshit.  fuck this even more.

i can't honestly see how this is necessary.

http://nonewkindastory.com/#video

Meanwhile, I'm excited. I agree, I don't think this will be all that honest because if Ebel or T$N are behind it, of course he's not going to paint himself in a bad light.

Still, I loved the label from '95 through around 03. A lot of Christian punk bands helped me discover the great punk bands like the Descendents, so shut the fuck up, Mike T :)

Meanwhile, I'm excited. I agree, I don't think this will be all that honest because if Ebel or T$N are behind it, of course he's not going to paint himself in a bad light.

Still, I loved the label from '95 through around 03. A lot of Christian punk bands helped me discover the great punk bands like the Descendents, so shut the fuck up, Mike T :)

$kankin' for je$u$

Really surprised at the backlash in here over this documentary.  You guys are all over old vinyl releases/bands from this label but the prospect of a behind-the-scenes (albeit, likely biased) documentary about the early days of the label (read: the years when they released records you like/love), and y'all get your panties in a bunch.  Goofy.  Just goofy.