PO: Black Sabbath - 13

I haven't had much more opportunity to listen to this, though my wife did pick up the record the other day from her favorite coffee/record/purse shop. It seems like the songs are solid enough, but damn the production/mastering sucks. It's kind of a victim of the times. Brad Wilk is also way too stiff of a drummer for Sabbath. At face value, I'm enjoying it, but it's also disappointing in a "what could have been" way. I don't want to seem like I'm outright trashing Brad Wilk, because I think he's great.

People talk about Sabbath being this "sludgy" band in some ways, and it's not totally accurate. You listen to the old stuff, and it sounds huge - everything has it's place, with the bass, drums, guitars, and vocals all existing in their own "space." This recording, like most these days, suffers from the "loudness war" and lack of definition. I can't wait to see them live, and imagine I will enjoy it a lot more.

Spotify has the extra tracks from the album, which truthfully, just make it feel overlong to me.

It'd be fair to say that Ozzy, Geezer, Tony Iommi and Bill Ward, are one of my favorite alchemical combinations of rock and roll musicians, ever. In the late 60s and a good chunk of the 70s, the stuff they did was unassailable in my eyes. But where all the "magic" in music like this comes from are all of the elements coming together. When you take out any one component, it's just not the same.