don't trust a trader/seller? couldn't you do this?

i don't recall seeing anything on Ebay in regards to anything like this (i don't think they would expect this to go down either way), but i'm posting this so people can poke holes in this. or, i'd like to know if this is already happening. yes, yes, i know you don't always have to send as a gift when you are paying through Paypal.

assuming you both have Ebay accounts;

say you want to trade with someone or buy something from someone on here, but they have limited posts or no feedback. Ebay feedback could mean nothing to you without the protection. couldn't you use Ebay as a way to assure delivery?

for buying - coordinate and they put the item up at whatever price with an OBO and you go to that auction and offer your agreed upon price. that way you know you have the backing and not just Ebay feedback.

for trading - this is where i couldn't think of that great of an idea. i was going to suggest that both you and trader put items up with OBO and make an offer of $0.01 and both accept. of course, i realize that if you don't get the item you only get your $0.01 back. i know you can make a legit offer on what you think it's worth and "mark as paid", but if you do that too many times i think it flags Ebay.

just wondering. let me know what you think. or destroy it. either way.

Serious answer, we have a feedback system here that seems to be pretty good. Ebay would charge fees.

And bottom line, anyone that I distrusted enough to do this I just wouldn't deal with. I'm not going after /5 rare variants. Anything I want will eventually be sold by someone I do trust and doesn't throw up flags. You just get a feeling when something is fishy.

I turned down someone the other day who was willing to buy a $45 record from me but only had a couple posts. I took "too long" according to him which was a huge red flag. He claimed to buy it from someone else. The period of time was no joke less than 24 hours when we agreed on a price and I had time to do some research about him, and ask other users he supposedly bought from.

I turned down someone the other day who was willing to buy a $45 record from me but only had a couple posts. I took "too long" according to him which was a huge red flag. He claimed to buy it from someone else. The period of time was no joke less than 24 hours when we agreed on a price and I had time to do some research about him, and ask other users he supposedly bought from.

wouldn't he send the money before you ship though?

Yes, of course. But, if he didn't send payment as a gift (he wouldn't) then he could say he never received it and keep the record and the money. Paypal is very good to the buyer and even if you get tracking, there's a chance if he makes a claim, I could be out of money/record. Plus, if you send an item to an unconfirmed address, they can side with the buyer (though this seems to be less rare). I've heard of people losing money because they didn't have proof beyond tracking.

Yes, of course. But, if he didn't send payment as a gift (he wouldn't) then he could say he never received it and keep the record and the money. Paypal is very good to the buyer and even if you get tracking, there's a chance if he makes a claim, I could be out of money/record. Plus, if you send an item to an unconfirmed address, they can side with the buyer (though this seems to be less rare). I've heard of people losing money because they didn't have proof beyond tracking.

True, I pretty much joined the old boards to get my grubby mitts on tdagarim and travis took the chance to sell it to me, pretty sure I paid via gift though, it's been awhile hah. I guess what I'm saying is not everyone new is trying to scam people but I definitely see how he threw you off there with a couple different things. I don't even remember what he sold it to me for but I think it was in the ballpark of $40 to $50. It's still the only thing I've ever bought on these boards, but anyways, you get what I'm sayin. Nobody ever seems to have what I'm looking for :angry:

with expensive items I usually do the old signature confirmation.

Yes we are working on methods to keep riff-raff off the Sales board but what it will always really come down to is common sense and better judgement. I personally would never send a Paypal payment as a gift and instead just throw in a couple extra coins to cover the seller costs.

Be safe guys, just keep the Team America logic in mind:

If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit.

Or something.