Joyful Noise Records Appreciation Thread (VIP,FLEXI,AWESOME)

These VIP lathe cuts are a joke. If they really wanted to do something interesting, they would send invites out to a random X number of VIPs and allow them to purchase the lathe, doing a new random drawing for each release.

I love Joyful Noise, but it's the same deal with the flexi test pressings and even the private stash sales, to some extent. I'm sure it's the same 60-something members who happen to have reliable text service and blazing fast internet that just get these lathe cuts each time.

Guest deleted

At $5/month I'd say it's worth it to be a VIP, especially when they drop a free release every month, too. The Joyful Noise stuff is pretty quality.

It was really worth it for somebody... the Brothers Collateral with King Buzzo flexi auction just ended on eBay at $100.

These VIP lathe cuts are a joke. If they really wanted to do something interesting, they would send invites out to a random X number of VIPs and allow them to purchase the lathe, doing a new random drawing for each release.

I love Joyful Noise, but it's the same deal with the flexi test pressings and even the private stash sales, to some extent. I'm sure it's the same 60-something members who happen to have reliable text service and blazing fast internet that just get these lathe cuts each time.

2 negs already? I see at least two of those 60-something are reading this thread...

Seems like you want them to put in a lot more effort then they really need to. I got a text at 11:18, pretty sure these all go out at the same time and by the time I signed in there were 8 left. Seems like a pretty fair way to do it, when it comes to these low pressings there is nothing isn't a system that is ever going to make everyone happy.

the text message system usually beats the e-mails by several minutes.  I could have purchased this lathe but didn't, as I didn't want to take away an item I knew I'd never listen to or want.  I was able to get the King Buzzo one though, which I was happing about to keep my Melvins collection going.

Is your phone/internet that bad?  Do you want them to call you directly when they have releases? 

Entitlement.

Seems like you want them to put in a lot more effort then they really need to. I got a text at 11:18, pretty sure these all go out at the same time and by the time I signed in there were 8 left. Seems like a pretty fair way to do it, when it comes to these low pressings there is nothing isn't a system that is ever going to make everyone happy.

Except the system eliminates anyone who isn't available within 15 minutes of the release time. You know, if you're at work or a class or taking a dump. Maybe I'm underestimating the amount of people who can immediately check a text, navigate to a site on their phone and buy something at a second's notice. I know very few people in that situation.

I realize it's just my opinion and apparently some people have issue with it but I think a random selection of "winners" for these lathes would be a million times more fair, since chances are that anyone who signed up for VIP would be interested in them making it unlikely a "winner" wouldn't bite. And if they don't bite, put it up in the private stash for some lucky VIP member to discover at some future date.

And the fact that they put them up at one time, which you bring up yourself, is to me a negative as if they wanted to give people a fair shake they'd list 10 every hour or so and allow people who wouldn't have the luxury of ordering at a particular time of day the ability to maybe have a shot at them.

was not aware of the text message option. My preferences have now been updated. :)

Great, one more person who's going to be fighting for these as soon as the text notifications come out!  :P

Is your phone/internet that bad?  Do you want them to call you directly when they have releases? 

Entitlement.

My phone/internet is just fine and that's my point. It's hard to land one of these releases even when you're signed up to text messaging and have readily available computer access. What about all the other "VIP" members that don't?

I don't think it's entitlement to say they should more evenly distribute releases they push as special VIP perk to a population that is paying a monthly fee for access to these releases. I think it's entitlement for someone who continually lucks out and grabs these to think the current system is in anyway fair or equal. In fact, my methods would pretty much assure that it couldn't be the same majority of members buying these releases each time. How is that entitlement?

And again, as I said in my OP, I love Joyful Noise. They're great guys and release some great sounding, great looking stuff. It's just my opinion that this could be handled better and I thought I'd share that opinion because that's what internet message boards are for...

I get what you are saying but that is a lot more work for them to do to sell 85 lathes. I've missed out on my fair share of limited releases in the past and the healthiest way to look at it is you win some you lose some and not to worry about other people. Outside of giving a little notice a few days in advance to VIPs that something is coming up there really isn't a more realistic way to do this.

More importantly, can we talk about how good this Memory Map album is? Just got an email for the download. Also just found out they played in Philly this past Wednesday and I'm PISSED.

Likely going to pick this up from the band when they play joyful noise hq on Friday. Did the clear with white sell out or is it not available online?

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck. I was on right when the lathe featuring King Buzzo popped up and I still couldn't get it. If anyone wants to let go of one, please let me know. I will trade heavily in your favor to get it. If anyone is interested, get in touch with me via PM.

Ignore this. Got it taken care of.

Fuck. I was on right when the lathe featuring King Buzzo popped up and I still couldn't get it. If anyone wants to let go of one, please let me know. I will trade heavily in your favor to get it. If anyone is interested, get in touch with me via PM.

I tried getting one for you too dude and it sold out on me.