Joyful Noise Records Appreciation Thread (VIP,FLEXI,AWESOME)

The trouble is that these are even being referred to as "test pressings", which I'll admit is a problem not unique to Joyful Noise.

These are clearly glorified variants or - at best - white label promos. You're basically paying three or four times retail for a black vinyl copy of an album with no label artwork or even a jacket.

It's nice that they're numbered and some of them are signed, but they're really just cash grabs in my opinion. Look at the Dumb Numbers box, for example: there were ten, I think, complete box sets available yesterday, then another 15 of each individual 10" available today. Who knows if more will pop up at auctions or elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I think the label puts out some great stuff, but at this point in pretty happy with just the plain releases or even the downloads rather than going crazy trying to score some arbitrary collectible being disguised as a test pressing.

The trouble is that these are even being referred to as "test pressings", which I'll admit is a problem not unique to Joyful Noise.

These are clearly glorified variants or - at best - white label promos. You're basically paying three or four times retail for a black vinyl copy of an album with no label artwork or even a jacket.

It's nice that they're numbered and some of them are signed, but they're really just cash grabs in my opinion. Look at the Dumb Numbers box, for example: there were ten, I think, complete box sets available yesterday, then another 15 of each individual 10" available today. Who knows if more will pop up at auctions or elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I think the label puts out some great stuff, but at this point in pretty happy with just the plain releases or even the downloads rather than going crazy trying to score some arbitrary collectible being disguised as a test pressing.

how do you know they are only white labels and not actual test presses?  

my honest opinion would be $20 for an LP. that's what i would sell it for. i also don't agree with the massive inflation of vinyl prices in general over the past few years. 5 years ago single LPs were between $13 and $17 bux. now they're between $17 and twenty-something. folks might be thinking to take advantage of the booming market while they can, in fear of another recession, but really i believe a fair markup is double of what it costs to manufacture(generally between $6 and $8 per single LP). i'd bump it up to $20 for the test for the hell of it. music distribution can't be an avenue to get rich because it filters down into so many other facets -- how much people should pay for music, what a recording should sound like, what kind of bands should people listen to, etc. i believe the current model will ultimately fail and a lot of these records that aren't actually that limited will drop significantly in value, especially with labels doing these kind of crazy markups. 

ultimately, it's not about capitalizing on what someone WILL pay. for me, it's who's quickest to get that test they really want, ya know? whoever is willing to work for that shit gets it. that's the cool part of being a collector. feels way better than shellin' out $25 or $30bux for a 'flexi test', which by the way, isn't even a fucking real thing. it's just the first flexi's they made that worked.

anyhow, a lot of people on this forum complain about being poor and that's because we can't afford to take chances on records anymore, cause they're too expensive. so people sell safe, bullshit records on record store day for $30bux to make their bottom line.

No one knows for sure outside of Joyful Noise but I think it's a safe assumption.

And a lot of it depends on how you define test pressings, but I personally think something that's pressed to test sound quality by the band and/or label is a test pressing and something pressed deliberately to be sold (like you see so often in Kickstarter campaigns and such) isn't.

Even if the runs they sell during Test Pressing Week are from the same run as what their true test pressings are from, it's a little disingenuous to run off an extra 20-30 copies and then sell them as 'wink, wink' test pressings.

I just signed up for VIP Basic (unrelated to test pressings/flexis/etc. being discussed recently). I got an email confirmation for my order, but no password or instructions for logging in. Anyone know if I should expect a follow-up email? Otherwise tempted to use the "forgot my password" option on the site log-in. I just wanna buy a record dammit.

You'll get a second email with a link to create a password associated with your email

I got an email with instructions for how to manage my subscription - change plan, update address, manage credit card info, etc. But that's just for a billingportal.com and nothing to do with the actual site. Finally emailed them just now asking how the hell I can actually log into the site. I'm fine waiting, they just need to set expectations when people sign up and not leave us hanging and wondering what's next.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the discogs listing is up.

but it only says this.

"No track list given. Label simply marked with a "?". 

Side A has parallel grooves. 
Side B is etched and contains a "special instrumental song" with a "super secret message" from the JNR team. 

Limited to 250 numbered copies, exclusively available to VIP members."

anyone?  I am dying to know.