Airplay is the only wireless protocol I'm aware of that actually streams the entire bit perfect file from your storage device to your audio hardware. Otherwise your best bet is to have a media PC of some kind that's wired in to your DAC. Not as expensive a solution as you might think, as you don't need anything too fancy. Almost any old computer or laptop will do, as many modern DACs now have USB input.

My setup is as follows: Mac mini > JDS Labs ODAC > Receiver. I also have a JDS Labs O2 headphone amp that sits next to my comfy chair and is hooked in to the tape out of my receiver for convenient headphone listening.

You don't need a TV or an IOS device to use an Apple TV.  You can control it from Itunes (I'm using Windows) or from a smartphone app.

Here's a screen shot from Itunes showing my Airplay devices.  You can select one or more streaming devices.

10988284_10203731313749561_6181399023019

Do you run USB out to the DAC from the appletv? I thought the usb on the apple tv was for service only. Did that change on the atv3?

Good to know. So essentially you just get an apple tv, configure it with a screen, then plug it into a DAC via optical out, and can control playback from itunes? When you do it that way, it only plays on the appletv, not on the computers speakers as well? If so, I may go this route, as it sounds the easiest.

Totally go with an Airport Express if you have no intent of using the Apple TV for anything other than audio. They're all over Craigslist for $20-$30 where an Apple TV will run you closer to $90.

Also, yes. You can have audio play out of your iTunes computer only, Apple TV/Aiport Express-connected DAC only, or both simultaneously. 

I'm thinking of trying to get a hold of an old Logitech Squeezebox to stream my FLAC. It's got a Burr Brown 24-bit DAC, which is seems like a decent start until I can afford a better optical input one.

I've been closely eyeing the Cambridge Audio DacMagic - have seen a couple available second-hand for about $250 CDN ($200 US). Looks like it has had some pretty good reviews, lot of possibilities/inputs. Will likely also pick up an Airport Express. I don't have a tone of my music in FLAC or 24 bit, so not overly concerned about streaming that high level of files...

Allen, you mentioned something about DacMagic 1, 2, and 3. I haven't really come across any specific indicators as to which versions these are. Do you mean the DacMagic 100 (http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-100) vs. the original DacMagic (http://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audio/dacmagic/review) or the DacMagic Plus (http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-plus)? Anyone else have any experience with the 100 or Plus?

I recently incorporated a Schiit Modi 2 Uber into my system. Went with the Uber so I could also have access to a USB input. Apple TV only supports up to 16-bit files, so if you have 24-bit files you'll have to find another way to feed the audio into your system.

Just ordered the Modi 2 Uber and I'm excited to use it. Will be my first DAC. What do you think of it?

Quick question: for those of you streaming music using Apple Airport Express, do you use 1st Gen or 2nd Gen? I'm seeing prices second-hand at $25 for 1st gen, $50ish for 2nd gen, but I'm wondering if there's any noticeable difference in sound quality/streaming quality.

1st gen: apple-airport-express-4gl-800.jpg

2nd gen: Main1.png

Quick question: for those of you streaming music using Apple Airport Express, do you use 1st Gen or 2nd Gen? I'm seeing prices second-hand at $25 for 1st gen, $50ish for 2nd gen, but I'm wondering if there's any noticeable difference in sound quality/streaming quality.

I have a 1st Gen and like the form factor a little better when I use it as a travel router.

I don't think you'll find there's a difference in streaming quality per se but you may get better network compatability on one versus the other depending on what router you have.  I currently use an Airport Extreme and have no issues but I had some other routers that were problematic.

Got the m1 in on wednesday.  Played it for about an hour with some old cables.  Sounded fantastic.  Ordered new cables.  Tried to play it tonight and the input button is broken.  I'm filing an ebay claim & am hoping there isn't an issue and I can get a refund.  

I think I'm going to buy a Wyred Dac 1 instead now.