Hot Topic: BOGO 50% off + extra 20% off everything!

So I realize this stuff isn't going to work online anymore, but I'm curious if the stores will still take it. When they took the vinyl off the site the customer service lady said I could still use it if I called but that they had issues with people buying a lot of vinyl online to resell.

Went to my local store today, they offered me buy 1 get one 50% off on vinyl. I didn't need anything so it did me no good. I asked the manager on duty about the situation and he said "they didn't tell us not to do it on vinyl, so I will".

Went to my local store today, they offered me buy 1 get one 50% off on vinyl. I didn't need anything so it did me no good. I asked the manager on duty about the situation and he said "they didn't tell us not to do it on vinyl, so I will".

I recently went into my local HT, they dont have vinyl. But they said I could order vinyl from the kiosk in store, ship it to the store for pickup and I could use BOGO 50%

Obviously HT can do whatever they want with their own product, but I think excluding vinyl from very basic every day promotions is too far.

I doubt they realize their sales will go down probably 10x+

I think you over estimate how big vinyl is in relation to their total sales. A majority of their revenue is most likely from shirts/jeans. The markup on clothing is ridiculous. Plus the average Hot Topic customer couldn't care less about vinyl.

I think you over estimate how big vinyl is in relation to their total sales. A majority of their revenue is most likely from shirts/jeans. The markup on clothing is ridiculous. Plus the average Hot Topic customer couldn't care less about vinyl.

Agreed. People that think that when they exclude vinyl from certain sales that it actually creates a dent in the big picture of HT's overall sales are clueless.

yes, clearance! I remember a while ago, when they weren't as hot of a commodity as they are now, so many good, cheap records would end up in clearance. If they keep up with their exclusives, though, people will pay. They should seriously just change the wording on the promotion: "Everyone saves money except the record nerds"

Guest johneedeformed

I agree with those who express sentiment of not wanting to shop with Hot Topic anymore. If they aren't the only ones putting an album out, I prefer to buy elsewhere. I've actually been having better experiences elsewhere because the other places I order from are a lot more CLEAR about their promotions, or lack there-of. 

Normally if I buy vinyl from a place that actually cares about the "true fan" (as hot topic has tried to pass on us) they will EXPLICITLY SAY that orders are limited to 1 or 2 per customer or if they are excluded from sales. Hot Topic is the ONLY place that I have ordered from that has ever cancelled orders on me. It's just a little frustrating when they have to use tiny text disclaimers forcing customers to play detective during every new promotion to be sure it's going to work the way that we are initially lead to believe.

This has a lot to do with the way they handle promotions, but I also might add that I've never been incredibly impressed with the sound quality on Hot Topic releases.

This has a lot to do with the way they handle promotions, but I also might add that I've never been incredibly impressed with the sound quality on Hot Topic releases.

And Hot Topic "releases" sound quality has nothing to do with them. They are a distributor, they don't deal with the pressing of records. The sole reason that the majority of Hot Topic releases sound like shit is because the most of the records in Hot Topic come from recordings that sound like shit, and subsequently get pressed shittily, making a shitty sound shittier.

That being said, I just purchased The Chariot's One Wing and it sounds glorious. Much better than I thought it would. Other records I bought: Underoath sounds pretty good (as good as I remember the CD), Kevin Devine sounds great (simple recording), Something Corporate sounds pretty much like shit. But the CD of Leaving Through The Window doesn't sound great either.

Was at the HT in Hollywood yesterday. Got Quicksand Manic Compression as the half off to a cardigan my wife bought. Also picked up Kid Liberty for $1.60 on clearance. If you're instore too and you get BOGO and have a HT 15% off you could use that also!

Also if anyone picked up a few HRVRD from the Birds Cage at one of the HT sales hoping to get a coinflip but didnt sell it to me!

Guest johneedeformed

And Hot Topic "releases" sound quality has nothing to do with them. They are a distributor, they don't deal with the pressing of records. The sole reason that the majority of Hot Topic releases sound like shit is because the most of the records in Hot Topic come from recordings that sound like shit, and subsequently get pressed shittily, making a shitty sound shittier.

That being said, I just purchased The Chariot's One Wing and it sounds glorious. Much better than I thought it would. Other records I bought: Underoath sounds pretty good (as good as I remember the CD), Kevin Devine sounds great (simple recording), Something Corporate sounds pretty much like shit. But the CD of Leaving Through The Window doesn't sound great either.

Hot Topic is still responsible for the quality of the products they distribute. If they choose to distribute albums with poor sound quality it reflects more directly upon them, particularly in the eyes of the all important consumer, more than it reflects upon anything that happens behind the scenes and out of sight from the customer's eyes.

Not saying everything they've done is crap. Far from it. But I've never bought an HT pressing that I was incredibly impressed with either. Most of my purchases from HT have been because it was either exclusive or there was a decent sale.

I've been pretty impressed with SRC lately. I know they get a lot of crap for slow service, but I've had good experiences with them in general. Quality wise, I have been impressed with their releases.