Sooooooo, im gonna be opening a record store..

with my dad and my best friend and im just a little excited about it to say the least.

The area i live in known as the "South Bay", which is a beautiful beach community in So.Cal between Long Beach & Santa Monica, has been without a independent record store for roughly the last 8-10 years. The South Bay has a rich music history being home to many classic bands ranging from Black Flag, Descendents, Pennywise to The Beach Boys.

A big part of me growing up was me and my dad taking weekend trips to the record store and my relationship with my best friend grew because of both of our involvement with local bands so naturally this is a partnership that has been a long time coming.

Currently we are in the process of looking for a location.

So my question is, does anyone on these boards have any insider knowledge or tips. Wither it's distros, store supplies like racks or just any little quarks that may not be general knowledge about running a record store.

We will also be launching a online store, which already exsists but primarily focuses on t-shirts which is consumermerch.com we have yet to decide but the store will most likely be Consumer Records. We are hoping to open our doors just before summer time rolls around.

You know what, one thing I can suggest is maybe educating new listeners about good equipment, I can't stand going into an awesome store and seeing Crosley's for sale haha.

I am sure that these record stores you're going to are selling Crosley's because it's easy money, and not because the owners think the brand is a super amazing quality product.  Gotta make a profit, man!  Can't expect people to walk into a record store wanting to drop hundreds upon hundreds on a quality product when there's a cheaper option out there.  Not everyone cares about quality as much as the people on these boards!

Yeah, to be honest even though we all know Crosleys arnt the greatest thing out there they have gotten people back into record collecting and thats a good thing. Im not gonna lie, i had a Crosley when i got back into collecting i've since upgraded but it was a cheap way for me to enjoy my records again.

Good luck. No insider knowledge. I would think the first thing I would consider doing is look for a record store that is closing within a state or two and offer them 10 cents on the dollar for their stock. More record stores closing than opening. Cheap, easy way to fill your shelves initially and then you can cherry-pick the other records you want to carry from distros and stuff.

Yeah, to be honest even though we all know Crosleys arnt the greatest thing out there they have gotten people back into record collecting and thats a good thing. Im not gonna lie, i had a Crosley when i got back into collecting i've since upgraded but it was a cheap way for me to enjoy my records again.

I debated getting one for a while, just because I wasn't educated well on even the basics of listening to my records.  I'm still not very educated, but I at least know that Crosley isn't a very good player, so I'd rather go after something else.

If it was me I would also try and find a label or two to do an in-store version of one of their releases to draw some people in the first time.

I'm sure it is a lot more complicated than it seems but if you could get say, Asian Man to an in-store release of something, even if you essentially took no money for yourself out of the deal, it would be a lot of good publicity and worth it.

yeah we are going to do stuff like that. we have a advantage because my best friend/partner is a manager for quite a few bands and we have good connections with a lot of smaller labels and whatnot. We are really good friends with Jake from Pure Noise as an example.

We already have a lot of ideas for in store promotions ranging from exclusives to meet n greets/in store shows.

Our grand opening should be pretty bitchin.