SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

Anyone pick up the new Cody Chesnutt? I've lagged on grabbing it on vinyl but its a great album, guess it falls under more r&b but there's a lot of soul in it too

Phenomenal. One of last year's best. Almost like he's channeling "What's Going On" era Marvin Gaye.

PS: I hated "Headphone Masterpiece".

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool. It's funny that I haven't bought a record by Charles Bradley yet. It's on my to do list for sure. The discovered him when he was doing a James Brown tribute/impersonation show. It's cool that he is doing his own stuff now.

I'm listening to Otis Redding right now and just so happy.

Very cool. It's funny that I haven't bought a record by Charles Bradley yet. It's on my to do list for sure. The discovered him when he was doing a James Brown tribute/impersonation show. It's cool that he is doing his own stuff now.

I'm listening to Otis Redding right now and just so happy.

Yeah I was at Bonnaroo last year and I caught his set, it was pretty wild. I wish there were more modern performers out there doing ANYTHING like he's doing.

For folks mentioning some of the New Orleans funk (and for anyone else interested), I highly recommend these two volumes. Both sound amazing and have some really great buried treasured along with more traditional standouts.

is the first track on the second volume. It's hard to find on vinyl otherwise and is just an incredibly funky jam. 

For folks mentioning some of the New Orleans funk (and for anyone else interested), I highly recommend these two volumes. Both sound amazing and have some really great buried treasured along with more traditional standouts.

is the first track on the second volume. It's hard to find on vinyl otherwise and is just an incredibly funky jam. 

Those Nevilles were just always tearing it up.

Miles Davis' second wife, Betty Davis, although not a personal favorite, is a lady someone should hear:

I totally want to go back in time and marry Betty- before she was- Davis.  Super hot.

Here's a few I've enjoyed picking up/listening to in the past year or so.  Apologies for the crappy picture taking...I do my best. 

Not exactly obscure but hey at least they're evenly gender distributed.

DSCN1458_zpsa73de8f8.jpg

I wanted to pick up those two records but they're both like $28 each in stores. And I have a ton of the singles.

Some more NOLA love:

this is some obscure NOLA stuff

I totally want to go back in time and marry Betty- before she was- Davis.  Super hot.

Here's a few I've enjoyed picking up/listening to in the past year or so.  Apologies for the crappy picture taking...I do my best. 

Not exactly obscure but hey at least they're evenly gender distributed.

DSCN1458_zpsa73de8f8.jpg

That Marvin Gaye LP is great. As much as I love the "What's Going On" era stuff, the early singles "Stubborn Kind of Fellow," "Hitchhike," etc are great. I'm not a big fan of his well-known duets with Tammi Terrell but he's the man.

• 2 months later...

Just found this: a "new" Son House release, comes out on july 15th.

It's a 10", looks very cool!

"The Complete Son House Recordings from his early pre war days before his re-discovery in the early sixties. Restored & Remastered from rare original 78 records of which only 1 or 2 copies still exist today.

The next record House cut was 23 years later in 1965. Includes Son House pre-war years essay by noted writer Dick Porter."

The Complete PARAMOUNT Recordings  May 28th 1930 Grafton Wisconsin
Side One: 1.My Black Mama Part 1  3.09 2.My Black Mama Part 2   3.16 3.Preachin' the Blues Part 1   3.03 4.Preachin' the Blues Part 2   2.51
Side Two: 1.Dry Spell Blues Part 1   3.08 2.Dry Spell Blues Part 2  3.12 3.Walking Blues   2.56 4.Clarksdale Moan    2.55 5.Mississippi County Farm Blues 2.50

Amazon doesn't have a price listed yet (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarksdale-Moan-VINYL-Son-House/dp/B00DHG5VI0/ref=mb_oe_l), the cheapest preorder I found is through Norman Records (http://www.normanrecords.com/records/141253-son-house--clarksdale-moan).

ahpj.jpg

That Son House 10" is rad. I wish it wouldn't be so much since it's an import. Looks great.

In other soul news, recently discovered the Summits and heard this track. I want the 45 so bad but it's a $150+ so that won't happen unless I find it randomly at a garage sale:

Won this ebay. Can't find a sample to show. Got it today. Soooo good. Love Eddie Bo. If anyone of you guys find his stuff, especially the LP comps I don't have, I'll trade you boatloads for it, because I can't find shit here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350817640582?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• 4 weeks later...

Freddie Kings 'Burglar' is one of my alltime favs. Actually anything by freddie/albert king suites me fine.

Didn't see em mentioned above but black joe lewis & the honeybears are pretty rad. A modern band doing ole funk and soul.

Hadn't heard of Charles Bradley but will diff youtube em when I get home.

• 1 month later...

My wife went and saw Charles Bradley recently (I couldn't swing it on that weeknight) and she couldn't stop talking about how amazing he was. She actually brought him flowers and he started passing them out to the crowd. After the show he got off the stage and started giving everyone in the audience a hug. This guy just seems like such a genuinely good person, the real deal. I need to see him next time he is in the bay area.

My wife went and saw Charles Bradley recently (I couldn't swing it on that weeknight) and she couldn't stop talking about how amazing he was. She actually brought him flowers and he started passing them out to the crowd. After the show he got off the stage and started giving everyone in the audience a hug. This guy just seems like such a genuinely good person, the real deal. I need to see him next time he is in the bay area.

I can second this....he is my firm's client and I've spoken to him briefly a few months back when he was in the office.....just a really nice, good guy

I got a 45 of Bradley's recently. Good stuff.

I entered a drawing at my local shop on RSD and the prizes were a gift card to the shop, tickets to an upcoming Bradley concert, and a test pressing of Luke Winslow-King's newest record. I won the test pressing and tried to trade it for Bradley tix :)