SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

For those of you who haven't heard this Sabbath cover by Charles Bradley. He sang it as a tribute to his mother, who he lost recently and was pretty much his world. This is off his newest album by the same title. Amazon Link

9 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

For those of you who haven't heard this Sabbath cover by Charles Bradley. He sang it as a tribute to his mother, who he lost recently and was pretty much his world. This is off his newest album by the same title. Amazon Link

This guy took one of my least favorite Sabbath Songs and turned it into something that brings me to tears nearly every time. 

15 hours ago, Metal Mike said:

This guy took one of my least favorite Sabbath Songs and turned it into something that brings me to tears nearly every time. 

Hey! I like the Sabbath version. Charles takes it to a whole new level, though. Yes, the tears. Seeing him live it was tough to hold them back.

• 2 months later...

I know there is a thread for Fantastic Negrito, but if you love soul and blues you gotta check him out. There are some Prince and early James Brown moments in his music. I did not like him at first, but he killed it when I saw him open for Temple of the Dog. Here is a stripped down acoustic set on NPR. 

Also a link to buy the record for only 12.99 with an instant DL, too. I think if this guy keeps going, he will achieve legendary status.  Amazon

• 2 months later...

Bump :)

Hey guys.

Found this tune a while back. Benny Spellman, who is originally from Florida, recorded a ton of singles and lived in New Orleans. Toussaint wrote and produced this track. Benny Spellman found success with other Toussaint songs "Lipstick Traces" and "Fortune Teller" but this has an entirely different sound. Nice dance tune.

Got Candi Staton "I'm Just A Prisoner" finally this week. Had to pay $50 for it, but outside of a little crackle it sounds incredible. Been on a big southern soul kick lately: Aretha, Johnnie Taylor, Ann Peebles, Otis, Candi, just can't get enough. Would love to find that first Irma Thomas but yeah good luck to me

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention this: Found a guy on FB selling his collection of records. It was about 300 records for $200. But the pics he showed, made it seem worth it. I left work around noon on Friday. I drove about 11 hours to Eureka Springs, Arkansas (which is just 20 minutes south of the Missouri state line). I showed up at this guy's house around 11 PM. Chatted for a minute, inspected a lot of the records, and packed them up. Drove another hour to Harrison, AR to find a motel to sleep in. Got up the next day around 8 AM and started the drive shortly after. Around 6 PM I was back in New Orleans. 30 hours and 1,300 miles later and I had this:

16426141_1340044826059637_93691727890438

16473392_1340044799392973_16992835779182

16427254_1340044836059636_56202307407501

16507808_1340044876059632_37626289308733

16473444_1340044829392970_72457748817338

Can't wait to be in NOLA in April and do some digging for some classic funk gems.

I'm privy to Euclid, but are there any other record shops I should check out?

Also if y'all aren't hip to this Betty Harris comp that came out last year, get on it.

Basically every track is backed by The Meters and produced by Allen Toussaint.

Ridiculous.

brightersjr-lpxxx-betty-harris-sleeve.jp

On 2/21/2017 at 9:20 AM, warhenrecords said:

Can't wait to be in NOLA in April and do some digging for some classic funk gems.

I'm privy to Euclid, but are there any other record shops I should check out?

Also if y'all aren't hip to this Betty Harris comp that came out last year, get on it.

Basically every track is backed by The Meters and produced by Allen Toussaint.

Ridiculous.

brightersjr-lpxxx-betty-harris-sleeve.jp

What are you looking for?

Euclid definitely is the spot for 45's. There's tens of thousands. 
Domino Sound has a great selection of 45's, specifically a good of amount of local stuff.
Louisiana Music Factory doesn't have a lot of 45's, but they have a lot of local music. Mostly  CD - issued stuff, but a good selection of records.

If you're looking for anything else, hit me up. I may have it.

• 1 month later...

Hey dudes. Looking for a little help finding stuff of a certain sound. In an effort to avoid describing it clumsily here are a few videos. If you have any more that sound like this, let me know. More specifically, stuff that sounds like these songs, not these artists in general.

1 hour ago, BuzzersonKillwell said:

Hey dudes. Looking for a little help finding stuff of a certain sound. In an effort to avoid describing it clumsily here are a few videos. If you have any more that sound like this, let me know. More specifically, stuff that sounds like these songs, not these artists in general.

So, I'm thinking you're looking for chill, soul with a funky backbeat? And you're looking for specific songs? I will have to give it some thought. I'm usually searching out the funk soul dance floor bombs.

George McCray sounds like you'd get the same feeling from listening to Issac Hayes. 
I posted that Tarheel Slim 45 before. That's more rhythm and blues than soul persay. You could find a bunch of 50's and early 60's that has a similar sound.
Syl Johnson is in a class by himself. He's got so much output that you would be listening to his stuff forever to hear it all.
Little Milton is another popular guy. Earlier stuff can be R&B and bluesy. Latter stuff is funkier. Nobody to compare him to.

An interesting approach to music is to listen to soul specifically from different parts of the country. Motown was so successful that other cities try to have their own "Motown sound." So Philadelphia has it's own sound. New Orleans has it's own sound. Houston has it's own sound. Comps are a great way to hear the 60's music of a specific area. 

Edited by somethingvinyl

Don't know if I posted this one before, but I've had it for a while. This weekend was French Quarter Festival here. Walter "Wolfman" Washington is a local NO guitar player that performs a lot, mostly at big fests like this. He tours but isn't playing anything outside of clubs. He plays some trad. NO soul songs, but lots of it is very typical blues. Prior to what got him paid, he had a couple soul singles that garner big bucks these days. Got this one and it's a funky tune. The Youtube clip sounds terrible but gives a hint at how great it is. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGC5oZl8Nzw

https://www.discogs.com/Walter-Washington-Soul-Powers-Pony-Express/release/5736915

• 3 weeks later...