SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

8 minutes ago, soundofsilver said:

51PuEMBI4BL.jpg       universal-togetherness-band-universal-to    

Idris Muhammad - Turn This Mutha Out (reissue from this month).  Soul Brother Records in London put it out.  Sound and Pressing are fantastic.

Universal Togetherness Band s/t - Numero Group from '15.  Fantastic sound.  Only paid $14 on this one.

Cool. When I first got into soul jazz I would look for any record with Idris on drums and it was USUALLY funky as hell. Haven't heard of the other band. Will check them out.

I do love this thread, a great breakup from the other typical threads here. I like the focus on older music that isn't dad rock, it's rare on VC

Found an awesome copy of Syl Johnson "Total Explosion" on Hi for $12 a little while back, I think that was my only killer score in these genres as of late but I just spun it again this morning, what a great album love his take on "Take Me To The River"

^^^ Fuck, that hook is fire.

Reminds me a little of this. I found this 45 from a lady who use to have a bar and had 45's. There was lots of soul/funk but it was mostly common singles. There was only one of these I think in the collection (I hope). I have the highest sold copy on popsike at just under $200. The drums are nutty.

Edited by somethingvinyl

If any of you do not have the first two Earth Wind and Fire albums you need to buy these now. I don't know about the pressing, as I have originals, but these are their best albums. Full on funky soul that is much better than their later stuff. Only ten bucks each!

http://www.insound.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=earth+wind+and+fire&order=relevance&dir=desc

On 09/20/2016 at 6:17 PM, lexicondevil said:

For those of you who haven't heard this Sabbath cover by Charles Bradley. He sang it as a tribute to his mother, who he lost recently and was pretty much his world. This is off his newest album by the same title. Amazon Link

Fuckin a

That moved

I posted in the RSD leftovers already, but that Robert Johnson set is incredible. If you have the complete collection already it's still worth seeking out if you can avoid flipper prices. The sound quality and sequencing is better, has an extra couple tracks and great linear notes. It's like he is in the room with you! You can definitely hear the shellac hiss but it kind of adds to the charm

Have picked up so much great stuff lately.

Been big into Ann Peebles. So great.

Also - not trying to dig through that whole RSD thread, but figured this would be a good place to ask. Anyone seen that big Meters RSD release for sale online anywhere for a decent price? I skipped RSD this year, but that was one release I wouldn't mind picking up.

Edited by warhenrecords

I have had that Staple Singers LP before. Nice gospel-y funk. Posting this and hopefully expanding our variety slightly. 

Trying to find new sounds is tough. But one of our local record stores here has tons of "world" music. But the owner is into island and African music. So I've been telling him about sounds that I want to hear. Of course he turned me onto Afrobeat pioneer William Onyearbor and Fela Kuti. I know most of this stuff is reissued but a couple weeks back, he had an original press of this LP from 1977. It's a bit of jazz mixed with a weird kinda funk. But different. I'm sure you guys have known about this stuff but it's kind of my first time purchasing it. Anyway, paid $40 for a VG copy. Felt like a good deal since NM copies go over $100. 

https://www.discogs.com/Fela-Aníkúlápó-Kuti-And-Afrika-70-No-Agreement/release/2124871

R-2124871-1265379879.jpeg.jpg

47 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

I have had that Staple Singers LP before. Nice gospel-y funk. Posting this and hopefully expanding our variety slightly. 

Trying to find new sounds is tough. But one of our local record stores here has tons of "world" music. But the owner is into island and African music. So I've been telling him about sounds that I want to hear. Of course he turned me onto Afrobeat pioneer William Onyearbor and Fela Kuti. I know most of this stuff is reissued but a couple weeks back, he had an original press of this LP from 1977. It's a bit of jazz mixed with a weird kinda funk. But different. I'm sure you guys have known about this stuff but it's kind of my first time purchasing it. Anyway, paid $40 for a VG copy. Felt like a good deal since NM copies go over $100. 

https://www.discogs.com/Fela-Aníkúlápó-Kuti-And-Afrika-70-No-Agreement/release/2124871

If anyone is into this kind of stuff and hasn't yet, please check out some of the comps/reissues that Mississippi Records puts out. 

They also did some Abner Jay stuff that is terrific.

20 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

Funny, the shop I'm talking about here. Domino Sound Record Shack, has partnered with Mississippi Records. Warren and Domino Matt are friends.

Huh! Well ain't that some shit. :P

I love going in to Mississippi Recs and just hearing whatever they feel like playing that day because it's always good, and usually something I don't know.

5 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

Original pressings of Fela stuff are generally VG at best. My friend got really into buying originals way back when. I decided to save money and bought a box set. Since then I think they've come out with a bunch of different ones. You really can't beat Fela Kuti. The documentary about him was really good and strange.

I also recommend records by his drummer, Tony Allen. His early ones are more Fela like and great. This one is a bit more modern and out there, which is why I appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2017 at 7:36 AM, NapalmBrain said:

I posted in the RSD leftovers already, but that Robert Johnson set is incredible. If you have the complete collection already it's still worth seeking out if you can avoid flipper prices. The sound quality and sequencing is better, has an extra couple tracks and great linear notes. It's like he is in the room with you! You can definitely hear the shellac hiss but it kind of adds to the charm

I tried to get the RJ release on RSD, but couldn't find it. Out of curiosity, how much did it cost originally at most spots on RSD? That way I know how much a flipper is gouging me if I do spring for it. 

Not rare or obscure but finally scored a decent original of Sly & The Family Stone "There's A Riot Goin' On" for a fiver, what a great album. always overpriced when I see it, so I couldn't say no when I saw it and the price, it's a little crispy but it's a solid VG almost VG+ copy