SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

Well, this isn't an old classic album or something with boobies on it....but it's still something that I think should definitely be shared here. I haven't posted in this thread yet...but I absolutely LOVE the Blues and thanks to @ColemineRecords I have a new fascination for Soul as well. 

I wanted to let you all know that the album by Brock Davisson and Friends called 'Outtakes From The Soul' is getting a vinyl release. For those who aren't aware of who Brock is, he is a phenomenal Blues guitarist who just happens to be confined to a wheelchair because of club foot and dwarfism. This 2015 album apparently landed on the Billboard Blues album charts, but this will be its first (and possibly only) vinyl release. 

https://qrates.com/artists/SofaKingVinyl/items/14561 

Here's a video so you can see his chops. This guy is so inspiring! His style reminds me a bit of Jeff Healey. 

• 1 month later...

From Now-Again Records: http://www.nowagainrecords.com/announcing-timothy-mcnealy-funky-movement/

The greatest never-issued Texas Funk LP – the legendary Timothy McNealy’s works, collected and officially reissued for the first time.

Extensive booklet detailing Timothy’s story, replete with never-published photos. Download card for WAV files included.

Dallas, Texas funk and soul singer, songwriter, producer and firebrand Timothy McNealy’s “Sagittarius Black” 45 was one of the first key “deep funk” records of the genre’s re-discovery period in the mid- to late-‘90s, when collectors and DJ’s did with the black America’s fertile late-‘60s and early ‘70s musical scenes what they had done prior with blues, jazz and rock. When that rarity was first rediscovered, no one could really explain it’s genesis: It was that rare thing, a record that came out of a specific era, but transcended it. Those who were entranced knew now how much McNealy had recorded, how many records he’d issued on his self-funded Shawn Records, or how good his music might be.

With this anthology – the first time that McNealy’s work has been collected and officially reissued – we now know the answer, and we know that McNealy’s music deserves to be emblematic of Dallas funk and soul in the same way that Texas’s other two largest cities – Houston, with the Kashmere Stage Band, and San Antonio, with Mickey and the Soul Generation – have their unique ambassadors, colored by those cities’ milieus.

McNealy’s recordings offer the breadth and depth that make a case for important idiosyncrasies, as they showcase a singular musical vision and his city’s vast talent, which has been prior documented on Now-Again releases such as Cold Heat and the South Dallas Pop Fest 1970 and Jazzman Records’ Texas Funk. McNealy’s banner recordings for Dallas, Texas’s best and brightest in that wonderful moment for American funk and soul music is worthy as an album, and as a testament to what is great about American music in general, and its creators’ abilities to think beyond the immediate.

6 minutes ago, warhenrecords said:

Also - Ubiquity Records has 50% off everything with code BFUB2017 thru Dec. 8.

I picked up some great stuff from them recently. Worth digging around their site.

Too bad that Brown Sabbath Vol. II is sold via the band and not the label. That would be a sweet discount.

10 hours ago, deadwax666 said:

Too bad that Brown Sabbath Vol. II is sold via the band and not the label. That would be a sweet discount.

I grabbed the Groove Merchant 20th anny comp and the These Are The Breaks comp. 50% off is pretty great.

Stoked on them both.

And here's one to keep an eye on: https://truelovesband.bandcamp.com/releases

I'll be putting this on wax for them in early 2018.

Thick funk!

11 minutes ago, warhenrecords said:

And here's one to keep an eye on: https://truelovesband.bandcamp.com/releases

I'll be putting this on wax for them in early 2018.

Thick funk!

That's some good stuff. Funny though, I think "No Sayers" is one of the weaker tracks out of all of them. I would have started the album with "Famous Last Words" or "On the Spot". Either way, if your price is good on this release, I will buy it.

Here's an idea that would probably make you a millionaire, find some super talented little Michael Jackson kid and pair him up with a band like this or the Dap-Kings. People would eat that up if the songs were well-written. The music would also have to venture into some Motown territory.

32 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

That's some good stuff. Funny though, I think "No Sayers" is one of the weaker tracks out of all of them. I would have started the album with "Famous Last Words" or "On the Spot". Either way, if your price is good on this release, I will buy it.

Gotta lead em off with something good so you can blow em away with something great later on.

Only gonna press 100 copies of this record, so I'll be sure to let this thread know when there's a pre-order!

Drove two hours to dig through a few thousand records on Black Friday. The guy was one of those like "some records are .25 cents, some are $10." I hate that. I brought up a big stack and he got in the neighborhood of $200. I said, "Nope!" Haha. I put back a bunch of 45's Got 4 LP's and ten 45's. A few soul/funk gems including this one from Baton Rogue:

https://www.discogs.com/Earnest-Jackson-Why-Cant-I-Love-Somebody-Funky-Black-Man/release/1052008

5 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

Drove two hours to dig through a few thousand records on Black Friday. The guy was one of those like "some records are .25 cents, some are $10." I hate that. I brought up a big stack and he got in the neighborhood of $200. I said, "Nope!" Haha. I put back a bunch of 45's Got 4 LP's and ten 45's. A few soul/funk gems including this one from Baton Rogue:

https://www.discogs.com/Earnest-Jackson-Why-Cant-I-Love-Somebody-Funky-Black-Man/release/1052008

A stone classic right there.

Also got this on Black Friday at that sale. I always want to keep the original rock & roll and R&B stuff I find, but then sometimes it's worth money and I want to sell it. I like Bo Diddley a  lot. He's a genius and an architect of rock for sure, but sometimes, he can be repetitive. This song sounds like nothing else of his. Doesn't have that same hook. It's great. Probably a keeper.

20 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

Also got this on Black Friday at that sale. I always want to keep the original rock & roll and R&B stuff I find, but then sometimes it's worth money and I want to sell it. I like Bo Diddley a  lot. He's a genius and an architect of rock for sure, but sometimes, he can be repetitive. This song sounds like nothing else of his. Doesn't have that same hook. It's great. Probably a keeper.

I still need to get a copy of Black Gladiator. 

Edited by lexicondevil

I got a Miles Davis 10" and two soul 45's at the record store yesterday. One of them was this stupid thing. I think I only bought it because I live here. Doesn't sound as good as I thought. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17JRGqTKjvw

Edited by somethingvinyl

On 11/28/2017 at 12:38 AM, warhenrecords said:

Also - Ubiquity Records has 50% off everything with code BFUB2017 thru Dec. 8.

I picked up some great stuff from them recently. Worth digging around their site.

This is great! Thank you for sharing. Going to pick up the Pharoahs LP. Too bad shipping is $9 for a single LP...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going through my collection (very slowly) and adding to my Discogs. Played this. Man. If you guys don't know Eddie Bo from me raving about him, go read up on him. Incredible career. Known a little here in New Orleans. Obscure to the rest of the world. He did R&B in the 50's, soul in the 60's, and funk in the 70's. When he couldn't get his music released, he wrote and produced some stellar funk classics for others.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:55 PM, deadwax666 said:

...but I absolutely LOVE the Blues and thanks to @ColemineRecords I have a new fascination for Soul as well. 

The guys at Colemine are some of the best dudes doing it today and they've really piqued my interest in Soul too. That Durand Jones LP is killer. It also helps that they're local so it's a win/win, supporting a great label and local shop. 

Edited by serum7

• 4 weeks later...

After all of you guys talking up @ColemineRecords for a while now, this post ^ finally led me to check them out. Man am I sorry I haven't done that sooner, everything they release is amazing! I ordered the Durand Jones LP and the Soul Scratch LP from last year (and a shirt, I'm all in! haha). Their Spotify playlist, Colemine 101 is flawless as well. So happy to finally start supporting these guys and can't wait for these records to show up! In the meantime, I have those two albums and Sharon Jones - Soul of A Woman on a playlist on repeat. If you've been putting it off like I did, don't wait, check out Colemine ASAP!

P.S. Soul of A Woman is, in my opinion, Sharon Jones' best album. I know I'm late on it, but check that one out if you haven't already too!

Picked this up last week here. Lazy Lester was a bluesman here in Louisiana, but he was from the central west portion of the state. His 50's/60's R&B tunes are great. His blues stuff is not my cup of tea.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/8288301?ev=rb

On 1/23/2018 at 12:02 PM, somethingvinyl said:

Picked this up last week here. Lazy Lester was a bluesman here in Louisiana, but he was from the central west portion of the state. His 50's/60's R&B tunes are great. His blues stuff is not my cup of tea.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/8288301?ev=rb

That Lazy Lester song grew on me. Cool find.

Here is some early eighties funk for a Hump Day.