SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

Yeah I saw that earlier and I was wondering does that mean DJ&tI signed with Dead Oceans and not Colemine? Or is Colemine now part of the Secretly Group?

I have done zero research, just seemed surprising to me considering it seems like Colemine is really hittin' it right now.

19 minutes ago, warhenrecords said:

Yeah I saw that earlier and I was wondering does that mean DJ&tI signed with Dead Oceans and not Colemine? Or is Colemine now part of the Secretly Group?

I have done zero research, just seemed surprising to me considering it seems like Colemine is really hittin' it right now.

I haven't really grilled them on it, maybe I will next time I'm in the store because I'm curious too. But from looking at it from the outside it seems like DJ&tI are making a BIG push this year, maybe there were some things that Dead Oceans provided that allowed for a bit larger shove. But nothing has really said they officially signed anywhere else. 

33 minutes ago, serum7 said:

I haven't really grilled them on it, maybe I will next time I'm in the store because I'm curious too. But from looking at it from the outside it seems like DJ&tI are making a BIG push this year, maybe there were some things that Dead Oceans provided that allowed for a bit larger shove. But nothing has really said they officially signed anywhere else. 

This is what I am thinking too.

DJ&tI are definitely gonna be everywhere this year. Pretty great. Lots of festival plays. Hoping they make it through VA and I can catch a show.

48 minutes ago, AndrewNstuff said:

Other than the Midnight In Tokyo and Tokyo Nights compilations, are there any other real good vinyl compilations of great Japanese City Pop/Funk/Boogie etc? I'd love to grab a bunch of the old original records, but shipping a bunch of different records from resellers on Japan tends to add up. 

I'm ashamed to say, I know nothing about Japanese music. I'm going to look up those comps now.

3 hours ago, serum7 said:

New pressing of the Durand Jones & The Indications LP, this time from Dead Oceans (in conjunction with Colemine) in translucent red. Cheaper to order through Plaid Room HERE, but Dead Oceans has some deluxe options available with a 7" HERE.<b>Durand Jones & The Indications </b><br><i>Durand Jones & The Indications [Translucent Red Vinyl] </i><br>Release Date : 03/16/2018

Great prices on these. Will have to pick it up on pay day.

I mean it really is great.

He's gonna blow up this year. I can only imagine, with all the touring, that there has to be a new record coming.

And with the death of Charles Bradley (not to mention Sharon Jones), people are going to be looking for someone to fill that void.

Gonna be a big year for The Indications, no doubt.

10 hours ago, warhenrecords said:

I mean it really is great.

He's gonna blow up this year. I can only imagine, with all the touring, that there has to be a new record coming.

And with the death of Charles Bradley (not to mention Sharon Jones), people are going to be looking for someone to fill that void.

Gonna be a big year for The Indications, no doubt.

Funny, I have been thinking for a long time about who could even come close to filling the shoes of Charles and Sharon. I'm not so sure it's Durand, but time will tell. I'm hoping Daptone finds another older, underappreciated talent and helps them get the attention they deserve. I feel extremely grateful that I was able to witness both of them playing live.

20 hours ago, warhenrecords said:

Just got word that the test pressings for that True Loves LP I posted above "are scheduled to ship soon."

Pre-order details are imminent.

I came across The Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio and it brought me full circle to True Loves. Funny how that works.

This is soul jazz, so it technically could go in both threads. It's pretty damn tight.

13 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I came across The Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio and it brought me full circle to True Loves. Funny how that works.

This is soul jazz, so it technically could go in both threads. It's pretty damn tight.

I believe their LP will be coming soon. Colemine was teasing it the other day.

Edited by serum7

Came across Percy Sledge - When a Man Loves a Woman (the album, not the song or the greatest hits album) and it's fantastic! Everyone knows the title track, but the rest of the album is full of soul greats (My Adorable One, When She Touches Me, Put A Little Lovin On Me, Thief in the Night). Check it out if you haven't already! Now to try to find a copy of this in good shape on vinyl somewhere...

Anyone know if that Durand Jones 7" will be sold by itself? I wanted to get the bundle, but because of the contents they can't ship media mail so with the shipping it's a bit high to justify. I have the original pressing...I just want that 7" and not have to pay $35 for it haha

On another note...these just landed the other day. Limited to 100 copies and there are a limited amount left, along with some test pressings. Free shipping to USA using code BROCKFAN 

3 hours ago, Dunc said:

I would post a video but I am shit at the internet.  I just picked up cold bloods self titled album and damn if that thing hasn't been getting wore out. Such a good album and underated band.

agreed they got overshadowed by big brother & the holding company both being from san francisco, having a female lead vocalist and a similar style of music. The first 2 Cold Blood records are great, after that they kind of went downhill IMO. Also love Delaney & Bonnie, I feel they didn't get the recognition they deserve