SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

On 2/26/2018 at 11:24 AM, warhenrecords said:

Up for pre-order now

The True Loves - Famous Last Words

https://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/album/warhen024-famous-last-words-lp

Limited to 100 copies. Black wax. DL Code included.

Officially out in mid-march, but test pressings were approved a couple weeks ago, so I'll ship these out as soon as they start arriving, which I'm hoping will be in the next week or two.

Any update on this?

Oh man. Is there ever. This whole process has been nothing short of a disaster. So sorry to everyone who has been waiting so patiently during this whole thing.

I'm right on the cusp of pulling the plug and giving everyone a refund.

As of mid-May, production at GZ ceased (who, I think, initially are the ones who fucked everything up in the first place) and was moved to an operation in Florida that was local to Merchant Vinyl, with the understanding that this was going to be a "rush job, 2.5 weeks, 911-style turnaround, with a significant discount." We said great, you have until June 1 (which was exactly 3 weeks).  MV said great too and that everything was rolling.

Well here we are on June 5 with no records, and despite their promise, they whiffed.  Again.

I'm currently in the web of getting a refund for the initial pressing, so I can re-submit payment. The last email I got from MV that explained all of this, finished with the line "let me be very clear, you will get your records by July 1." I thought it was a typo, so I inquired and got the response "June 1 ain't happening." Like those were legit the words used. WTF. Band is pissed obviously (not at me thankfully) because they've missed out on several opportunities to sell their record. So now I'm waiting for this refund to transfer from MV and then was gonna see if the band wanted to make a clean break. Planning on doing a mass update here in the next few days when I get an answer.

There is part of me that is like "well we've waited this long, may as well see it through" but then there is a much bigger part of me that has been losing sleep and having anxiety attacks about this and just wants it all to be over. This mess has killed dead any forward momentum this little label had. It's been tough to stay positive. Of course I'd rather give the customer the record and not a refund, but at this point I'm just tired of thinking about it and want to focus on future records and leave this shit in the past.

Wish I had better news, but I don't. So maybe records July 1? Or maybe a refund in the next few days. Really could go either way at this point.

I would recommend, if there are any folks in this thread paying attention to this whole deal who also run a small label, to never, ever use Merchant. Total disaster all the way across the board - from communication, to customer service, to pricing, to timeline... everything. What is most strange about it is that I had GREAT experiences with them on two prior releases. But man, total 180.

I have a friend in Richmond who went to them for his record and he is in the same boat. And I guess if I were to take comfort in anything, it is that I'm not the only one dealing with this shit, but it's hard to take comfort in that because it fucking sucks.

2 hours ago, warhenrecords said:

Oh man. Is there ever. This whole process has been nothing short of a disaster. So sorry to everyone who has been waiting so patiently during this whole thing.

As of mid-May, production at GZ ceased (who, I think, initially are the ones who fucked everything up in the first place) and was moved to an operation in Florida that was local to Merchant Vinyl, with the understanding that this was going to be a "rush job, 2.5 weeks, 911-style turnaround, with a significant discount." We said great, you have until June 1 (which was exactly 3 weeks).  MV said great too and that everything was rolling.

Well here we are on June 5 with no records, and despite their promise, they whiffed.  Again.

I'm currently in the web of getting a refund for the initial pressing, so I can re-submit payment. The last email I got from MV that explained all of this, finished with the line "let me be very clear, you will get your records by July 1." I thought it was a typo, so I inquired and got the response "June 1 ain't happening." Like those were legit the words used. WTF. Band is pissed obviously (not at me thankfully) because they've missed out on several opportunities to sell their record. So now I'm waiting for this refund to transfer from MV and then was gonna see if the band wanted to make a clean break. Planning on doing a mass update here in the next few days when I get an answer.

There is part of me that is like "well we've waited this long, may as well see it through" but then there is a much bigger part of me that has been losing sleep and having anxiety attacks about this and just wants it all to be over. This mess has killed dead any forward momentum this little label had. It's been tough to stay positive. Of course I'd rather give the customer the record and not a refund, but at this point I'm just tired of thinking about it and want to focus on future records and leave this shit in the past.

Wish I had better news, but I don't. So maybe records July 1? Or maybe a refund in the next few days. Really could go either way at this point.

I would recommend, if there are any folks in this thread paying attention to this whole deal who also run a small label, to never, ever use Merchant. Total disaster all the way across the board - from communication, to customer service, to pricing, to timeline... everything. What is most strange about it is that I had GREAT experiences with them on two prior releases. But man, total 180.

I have a friend in Richmond who went to them for his record and he is in the same boat. And I guess if I were to take comfort in anything, it is that I'm not the only one dealing with this shit, but it's hard to take comfort in that because it fucking sucks.

Man, so sorry you're having to deal with all of this bullshit. I'm fine waiting. I was just wondering what was happening. What about just going through Pirate's Press? Either way, no need to stress or lose sleep. It's only a damn record.:D I do know what you're going through when everything seems to go wrong and you just stress the hell out and think about never ever doing it again. It's all a learning process. Everything will work out one way or another.

On 4/30/2018 at 11:31 AM, lexicondevil said:

Maybe start over with a more reliable pressing plant? I know you'd be at the bottom of the pile, but it doesn't sound like anything good is happening with this plant. You could also press more, if budget permits. If this happens, I would just ask you differentiate the first 100 by using a different color or other identification for us collectors who were lucky to snag one. Either way, hope things work out better for you. 

Agreed.  I only collect collored vinalz.  they are so much better than the blacks.  One of my friends has a black vinal and i always look at it and say haha, you need to get that on colorad vinal.  

Yeah! give me colerd vinalz!!

26 minutes ago, whosnotwo said:

Agreed.  I only collect collored vinalz.  they are so much better than the blacks.  One of my friends has a black vinal and i always look at it and say haha, you need to get that on colorad vinal.  

Yeah! give me colerd vinalz!!

You clearly missed the point of what he was saying.

More stories from record buying:

Got this from my favorite local shop, Domino Sound. He must have bought a lot with a few of them in there because he was selling it pretty reasonably. 3xLP of Robert Johnson's complete recordings (never been reissued as this set) for $25. Looks NM too.

https://www.discogs.com/Robert-Johnson-The-Complete-Recordings/release/804433

23 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

Got this from my favorite local shop, Domino Sound. He must have bought a lot with a few of them in there because he was selling it pretty reasonably. 3xLP of Robert Johnson's complete recordings (never been reissued as this set) for $25. Looks NM too.

Very nice! My only complaint about these sets is I wish they wouldn't have put the double songs right in a row.

I have a CD double set, which is good but not quite complete. This is every Johnson recording. The CD handled it right, though. The CD set I have arranges the songs in takes or alternate takes. So disc one is all version one and the second disc is the second versions of the songs that probably all didn't make shellac. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a lady email me out the blue to look at some records she has. I bought a handful from her in 2015/2016, I think. Anyway, she listed off crap and I didn't want to look because I really didn't need to buy more records. But being a nerd/addict, I did. Glad I did. I gave her $80 for 300 singles. 90% were crap. Besides pulling an original w/ punch marks Elvis Sun 209. I found this Louisiana soul hitter. I need to sell, but I want to keeeeeeeeep it so much:

LISTEN TO THIS TWIN SPIN ON DISCOGS!

https://www.discogs.com/The-Q-Stop-This-Feeling-Thats-The-Way/release/8772458

On 6/27/2018 at 9:15 PM, somethingvinyl said:

Had a lady email me out the blue to look at some records she has. I bought a handful from her in 2015/2016, I think. Anyway, she listed off crap and I didn't want to look because I really didn't need to buy more records. But being a nerd/addict, I did. Glad I did. I gave her $80 for 300 singles. 90% were crap. Besides pulling an original w/ punch marks Elvis Sun 209. I found this Louisiana soul hitter. I need to sell, but I want to keeeeeeeeep it so much:

LISTEN TO THIS TWIN SPIN ON DISCOGS!

https://www.discogs.com/The-Q-Stop-This-Feeling-Thats-The-Way/release/8772458

Nice score. Though that "Q" record is good, I would sell it in a second for those prices. I would sell almost any of my rare 7 inchers for that money.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, somethingvinyl said:

great set, I do recommend the centennial collection over this but you won't find it for that price point. The newer set has better sound quality, less shellac hiss and better sequencing but you can't go wrong with Robert Johnson anyway you can get it

On 6/5/2018 at 4:53 PM, warhenrecords said:

Got my shipping notice on this today. Glad everything seems to have worked out for you with this. Can't wait to spin this record!

12 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Got my shipping notice on this today. Glad everything seems to have worked out for you with this. Can't wait to spin this record!

It was a long time coming but finally got them and shipped all pre-orders.

Didn't even have them in my possession for 24hrs before they went back out the door.

Enjoy.

Also for anyone who was wondering what took so long, I suggest doing a search for Merchant Vinyl on FB and reading what you find. Their page has been conveniently deactivated, but there are some public posts that will shed some light on why this whole thing took forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Eskew Reeder, also known professionally and more famously as Esquerita, was brought up in the church in South Carolina but eventually switched to "secular" music. He was self taught on piano and played a frantic and feverish style. He had some success writing songs and performing, but it wasn't until he came to record in New Orleans where he would meet Little Richard. Wiki describes Reeder as influencing Little Richard. Rumor has that they were  lovers and Richard copped his style. Obviously nobody knows for sure,  but the scuttlebutt is that Richard started incorporating wigs, glasses, makeup and many of the characteristics and idiosyncrasies that Esquerita had already been doing. Obviously, he is mostly forgotten largely and Little Richard appears to a pioneer. Both cuts of this 45 have Reeder "Woooooo"-ing in the same way Little Richard popularized. Little Richard recorded first, actually, but those early records sound different than the Richard the world knows. Hard to argue that once you see Esquerita for yourself, you see Little Richard's entire shtick. 

10 hours ago, Dougie Jones said:

That Gloria Barnes came in! Just an FYI mine was not stamped/numbered. I wonder if these are overrun or a new standard pressing. Whatevs, just so happy to have this!

I had thought it was from the original pressing, but nope. It's a new pressing.