SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

13 hours ago, Dougie Jones said:

That Gloria Barnes came in! Just an FYI mine was not stamped/numbered. I wonder if these are overrun or a new standard pressing. Whatevs, just so happy to have this!

The new press isn't stamped/numbered...BUT there were some from the first press that weren't either. I have one from the first run that isn't, which now I guess means it'll be lumped into the repress, but whatever. 

On 7/31/2018 at 10:31 AM, warhenrecords said:

Last three copies of The True Loves - Famous Last Words LP going up at 12Noon Eastern TODAY.

After this, it's gone forever. Not being repressed. Or at least, not any time soon.

Act quick & good luck!

https://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/album/warhen024-famous-last-words-lp

I can't believe I missed this again. It's laughable at this point, haha. Though something tells me I'll have another chance in the semi-distant future. 

• 1 month later...

Zeal & Ardor could be in this thread or the black metal thread. He blends the seemingly opposite genres into something that makes sense. I've been listening to this all of the time. The idea behind it is that the slaves revolt and turn to Satan to destroy the "masters".

The budget bins were kind to me yesterday, could not believe these were priced so cheap when everything else was so overpriced:

Wilson Pickett - The Exciting Wilson Pickett (original mono in shrink)

Al Green - I'm Still In Love With You

Jr. Walker & The All Stars - Home Cookin'

Millie Small - Sweet William 7"

James Phelps (Soul Stirrers) - Love Is A 5-Letter Word 7"

Marva Lee - Can't We Talk It Over 7"

$1 each and buy 2 get 1 free at that, could not believe it. Been hunting that Pickett forever and never seen an original in the shrink. Y'all got to check out that James Phelps single it's so damn good. The Marva Lee was the only severely underpriced of the 7" but all were worthy additions to the collection

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2018 at 3:52 PM, warhenrecords said:

new, posthumous Charles Bradley record coming via Daptone/Dunham in November.

10 unheard tracks.

I'm guessing you're referring to Black Velvet? In addition to a standard black and a limited box set, looks like there's a indie-exclusive purple/black splatter that will be available through Daptone authorized dealers. Bullmoose and Plaid Room being a couple of those.  Anyone know of any other dealers?

The True Loves have a new 45 out. They have a version that comes signed by everyone in the band and also comes with a Polariod type photo of one of them. At $25 I would usually flinch, but this is a damn good band and this version is limited to only 25 copies. Funky jams!

https://thetrueloves.bandcamp.com/

Edited by lexicondevil

• 2 weeks later...

A little something different from me. I tend to be focused on finding NO jams that I can spin when I play out on the rare  occasion I do (last time was at a record show I was selling at and it was dead, so I volunteered, lol). This one is fun. The flip is the track people want. I don't like a ton of girl groups but this is pretty great. I just the syncopation of the music. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NO's own Tony Owens has some of the biggest songs that came out of the soul scene here in the 60's and 70's. Big horns and background singers were prominent like in this jam. His biggest charting song, though? A ballad. Go figure. This should have been huge as far as I'm concerned.

• 4 weeks later...

Some people in this thread would probably enjoy this record.

Use the code THANKS for 25% off (good for everything in the store, FYI) from now through midnight Sunday.

Beltway Recording Company - Outer Sounds From The Inner Loop

https://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/album/warhen028-beltway-recording-company-outer-sounds-from-the-inner-loop-lp

Next 9 orders of this LP come with a gratis copy of the excellent surf LP "Ampersand" from Richmond VA band Magic Number.

So that's two records for the price of one at 25% off.

No-brainer!

Edited by warhenrecords

Also, if you're into Durand, check out J.P. Bimeni and the Black Belts. Been listening to their album Free Me a lot lately, it's really good. Plus, his backstory is pretty insane. This is the description from Rough Trade:

The latest great new soul voice, following Leon Bridges and Durand Jones

This is the first album from Burundian-born royal family descendant JP Bimeni who’s been based in London since the early 2000s. Musical director Eduardo Martinez and songwriter Marc Ibarz wrote the songs. His backing band are Spanish funk outfit The Black Belts. Horns kick off with a slick smooth James Brown slide of a funk-footed slick as all get out monster. Easy grooves are a rolling tide and a veritable force of soul/nature. Brass stabs accentuate the soul vibes alongside broken-hearted intros, tremeloed guitars and everything you love about the sounds of Stax, Motown and Atlantic’s 1960s output.

On his debut album Free Me, Burundian-born JP Bimeni astonishes with a voice that recalls Otis Redding in his prime whilst resonating with the soul of Africa. A refugee who’s been living in London since the early 2000s, Bimeni sings songs of love and loss, hope and fear, with a conviction that comes from the extraordinary experiences life has thrown at him.

A descendant of the Burundian royal family, Bimeni fled Burundi aged 15 during the 1993 civil war. Following three attempts on his life - at school he watched as his schoolmates were murdered, he was then chased by motorcycle militia-men and finally poisoned by doctors in hospital - he was given refugee status and fled to the UK where he’s remained ever since.

Music has provided the solace that Bimeni has needed to move forward with his life: “If I didn’t have music I don´t know how I would have survived everything”, he says. With it’s classic 60s-sounding Motown and Stax-inspired grooves the album was written by musical director Eduardo Martínez and songwriter Marc Ibarz and Bimeni imbues these tales of love and loss with his tragic experiences making Free Me a deep soul soundtrack to his pained life: “When I sing I feel like I’m cleansing myself: music is a way for me to forget”.

25 minutes ago, RowBearToe said:

Also, if you're into Durand, check out J.P. Bimeni and the Black Belts. Been listening to their album Free Me a lot lately, it's really good. Plus, his backstory is pretty insane. 

OMG! I just happened to check my emails and saw this recommendation. Having purchased both variants of the new Durand Jones LP it was natural for me to check out J.P. and holy smokes I love this! Just ordered a copy of the LP, never heard of him before so thank you so much!

Since I liked that J.P. Bimeni so much I explored other titles released by that label (based in Spain, it seems) and came across a release by David Hooper & The Silverbacks called "It's My Turn" - also great stuff! It came out in 2015 but copies are still available via some retailers. 

19 hours ago, RowBearToe said:

Also, if you're into Durand, check out J.P. Bimeni and the Black Belts. Been listening to their album Free Me a lot lately, it's really good. Plus, his backstory is pretty insane. This is the description from Rough Trade:

The latest great new soul voice, following Leon Bridges and Durand Jones

This is the first album from Burundian-born royal family descendant JP Bimeni who’s been based in London since the early 2000s. Musical director Eduardo Martinez and songwriter Marc Ibarz wrote the songs. His backing band are Spanish funk outfit The Black Belts. Horns kick off with a slick smooth James Brown slide of a funk-footed slick as all get out monster. Easy grooves are a rolling tide and a veritable force of soul/nature. Brass stabs accentuate the soul vibes alongside broken-hearted intros, tremeloed guitars and everything you love about the sounds of Stax, Motown and Atlantic’s 1960s output.

On his debut album Free Me, Burundian-born JP Bimeni astonishes with a voice that recalls Otis Redding in his prime whilst resonating with the soul of Africa. A refugee who’s been living in London since the early 2000s, Bimeni sings songs of love and loss, hope and fear, with a conviction that comes from the extraordinary experiences life has thrown at him.

A descendant of the Burundian royal family, Bimeni fled Burundi aged 15 during the 1993 civil war. Following three attempts on his life - at school he watched as his schoolmates were murdered, he was then chased by motorcycle militia-men and finally poisoned by doctors in hospital - he was given refugee status and fled to the UK where he’s remained ever since.

Music has provided the solace that Bimeni has needed to move forward with his life: “If I didn’t have music I don´t know how I would have survived everything”, he says. With it’s classic 60s-sounding Motown and Stax-inspired grooves the album was written by musical director Eduardo Martínez and songwriter Marc Ibarz and Bimeni imbues these tales of love and loss with his tragic experiences making Free Me a deep soul soundtrack to his pained life: “When I sing I feel like I’m cleansing myself: music is a way for me to forget”.

Damn. Thank you for this. There are still good things about VC. This Shirley Davis record on the same label is a steal.

Shirley Davis Edit: This was nine bucks yesterday. Edit Edit: I think I have now purchased every lp on this label. Went a little nuts.

Edited by lexicondevil

20 hours ago, deadwax666 said:

OMG! I just happened to check my emails and saw this recommendation. Having purchased both variants of the new Durand Jones LP it was natural for me to check out J.P. and holy smokes I love this! Just ordered a copy of the LP, never heard of him before so thank you so much!

Wait, both variants of the Durand Jones LP? I've only seen the translucent orange from Colemine, what's the other? Digging that David Hooper, thanks!

13 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Damn. Thank you for this. There are still good things about VC. This Shirley Davis record on the same label is a steal.

Shirley Davis Edit: This was nine bucks yesterday. Edit Edit: I think I have now purchased every lp on this label. Went a little nuts.

If that Shirley were still 9 bucks I'd buy it right now too! Thanks for the recommendation!