SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

1 minute ago, RowBearToe said:

Wait, both variants of the Durand Jones LP? I've only seen the translucent orange from Colemine, what's the other? Digging that David Hooper, thanks!

There is a Rough Trade exclusive purple variant and the " first few orders include a limited Durand Jones 45 adaptor" - pressing count unknown
https://www.roughtrade.com/us/music/durand-jones-and-the-indications-american-love-call#variant_238381 

35 minutes ago, RowBearToe said:

Wait, both variants of the Durand Jones LP? I've only seen the translucent orange from Colemine, what's the other? Digging that David Hooper, thanks!

If that Shirley were still 9 bucks I'd buy it right now too! Thanks for the recommendation!

I think it's still way worth it at $20 prime. Check out this one from her first.

Edited by lexicondevil

Just stumbled across this. Former Epitome Of Sound vocalist Eugene Thomas (Northern Soul legend) is making music again. They did a PledgeMusic thing for a 45 which is now over but it looks like copies of it are available via his Bandcamp (not sure how many were pressed). It's a bit priced for a 45 at $13 plus shipping but it sounds so good I just had to get it. Figured I'd pass it on...

https://eugenethomas.bandcamp.com/album/eugene-thomas-im-through-with-you-lovely-lady 

Found another 45 gem! This is a Northern Soul stomper by Seattle based F2D (Funky 2 Death) and released by We Coast Records. Just happened to stumble upon it. The side-A cut is worth the $8 on its own, the B-side is pretty funky too.

https://funky2death.bandcamp.com/album/come-on-funky-45th-st

On 11/21/2018 at 7:25 PM, warhenrecords said:

Some people in this thread would probably enjoy this record.

Use the code THANKS for 25% off (good for everything in the store, FYI) from now through midnight Sunday.

Beltway Recording Company - Outer Sounds From The Inner Loop

https://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/album/warhen028-beltway-recording-company-outer-sounds-from-the-inner-loop-lp

Next 9 orders of this LP come with a gratis copy of the excellent surf LP "Ampersand" from Richmond VA band Magic Number.

So that's two records for the price of one at 25% off.

No-brainer!

Also just wanted to casually remind peeps about this one.

The sale is over, but you still get two LPs for the price of one if you order it. Or at least the next 7 people do.

Very cool, VERY creative record. Check it out!!

100 copies, 180gram, DL included, artwork by Darryl Norsen (look him up)...

Orders shipping all week. Order today and it goes out tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

I try to find stuff on the cheap. Buying collections usually allows me to find stuff I want. It's pretty rare I will drop any real money on records. I sold records in Jackson, MS at the beginning of the month. Then just one week later, I sold records at our local record show called Record Raid. Did pretty well so I treated myself on this mofo. Eldridge Holmes is a NO soul guy who worked with Toussiant. This is a fucking jam where the piano rips because of that hook:

The Skull Snaps reissue on Mr. Bongo that came out a couple months back is really good, nice packaging, flat pressing and sounds great. I can't compare to an original or the scorpio, but I'd guess since members of the band were involved this was pressed from a better source than the scorpio. Well worth the $25 price tag

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 8:50 AM, NapalmBrain said:

The Skull Snaps reissue on Mr. Bongo that came out a couple months back is really good, nice packaging, flat pressing and sounds great. I can't compare to an original or the scorpio, but I'd guess since members of the band were involved this was pressed from a better source than the scorpio. Well worth the $25 price tag

I friended Samm Culley on FB from Skull Snaps. He's pretty indignant about all the bands who sampled the record and never paid royalties, which I would be too. But it makes for funny discussions. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have some funk and soul in my collection. I am kind of partial to that musical genre. Lately I have picked up a bit of Curtis Mayfield's work, and am always on the prowl for Gil Scott Heron. I have not figured out how to post a photo here just yet, or I would post some.

• 1 month later...

Couldn't buy this fast enough. Black Pumas will finally have an lp. This is a Colemine exclusive version and I don't know if it is for email subscribers only. Sounds like there will be other versions.  https://www.coleminerecords.com/products/blackpumaslp

• 2 months later...

Preordered that Black Pumas LP. Mine shipped this week!

Picked up this single by Brenton Wood. He was born in Shreveport, LA and eventually made his way south to NOLA. He was a LA soul singer who made it big, though, unlike many of the greats here. He had two national hits. Oogum Boogum and this:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Long time, no bump.

I recently bought an 1,100 LP collection. I ended up selling 670-ish to a guy for $300. I kept around 130 of the best stuff. It's my best score to date. 300 went in the trash. So needless to say, I have been focused on getting that stuff prepared to sell. Ended up have my personal best day ever at our last local record show a few weeks ago, so I've itching to splurge. I don't buy many modern soul records (there's literally thousands from the 50's-70's that I've never heard). But this struck me. It's a song from 1972 but released by Daptone recently. Pretty great stuff: