SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

Nice. I have some neighbors with a garage full of records they are looking to sell. I spied them when they were having a garage sale. I gave them my number, since they didn't seem that into letting me look at them. Tons of jazz, soul, and blues. Twenty years ago I would have lost sleep thinking about what could be in that collection. I wish I could have looked, but I never heard back from them. They were going to have it "appraised" and I told them to make sure to check discogs before they accepted any offers.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, freezeflash said:

Glad I don't belong to this club, since I already own a ridiculous amount of variants for this one record, and shouldn't buy more. Cool that it comes with the 45.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't some kind of revelatory  news because I'm sure it's widely known by DJ's, but I just found out what song Wu-Tang sampled for "CREAM." I had never known before. It sucks that everyone wants it because it's a jam. And, of course, that fucking hook!

https://www.discogs.com/The-Charmels-As-Long-As-Ive-Got-You-Baby-Come-And-Get-It/release/4693483

11 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

This isn't some kind of revelatory  news because I'm sure it's widely known by DJ's, but I just found out what song Wu-Tang sampled for "CREAM." I had never known before. It sucks that everyone wants it because it's a jam. And, of course, that fucking hook!

https://www.discogs.com/The-Charmels-As-Long-As-Ive-Got-You-Baby-Come-And-Get-It/release/4693483

Never knew they sampled that. As cool as it sounds, I would be hard pressed not to sell it at those prices. I have some rare, old punk 45's that I'm probably going to list because they are worth too much. When I think about how I could buy a new guitar if I sold one of them, it's hard to resist.

^ I have this weird collector/hoarder thing where I think stuff that's valuable now will be even more valuable later. I recently sold Elvis Sun 209 for about $660, which is insane. But you know what? It's an important record. I kind of want it just to have it now. I always want what I can't have.

52 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

^ I have this weird collector/hoarder thing where I think stuff that's valuable now will be even more valuable later. I recently sold Elvis Sun 209 for about $660, which is insane. But you know what? It's an important record. I kind of want it just to have it now. I always want what I can't have.

Totally get it. The old records will generally hold their value and increase, which makes them easier to hold and enjoy, but be there if you are in a cash bind. I've cut my collection in half, twice in my life and don't regret much at all. I'm in the process of pulling newer things that I don't really listen to and doing another purge. Things are getting a little out of hand in the record room.

• 2 months later...

Went to an estate sale on a whim and found this beast. Saw the ad go up on FB marketplace, and ignored it because it looked like garbage. And it was. After seeing it again two hours later, I messaged the lady who was selling off her husband's dead relative's possessions. I went and dug through a couple hundred banged up country and R&B LP's. I picked about nine 45's just because she didn't tell me a price. I undersold what was in there, but again, I thought she might hit me with a $3-5 a pop. When she said $5 for everything, I couldn't give it to her fast enough!

1 hour ago, somethingvinyl said:

Went to an estate sale on a whim and found this beast. Saw the ad go up on FB marketplace, and ignored it because it looked like garbage. And it was. After seeing it again two hours later, I messaged the lady who was selling off her husband's dead relative's possessions. I went and dug through a couple hundred banged up country and R&B LP's. I picked about nine 45's just because she didn't tell me a price. I undersold what was in there, but again, I thought she might hit me with a $3-5 a pop. When she said $5 for everything, I couldn't give it to her fast enough!

Congrats. Haven't had a good score like that in a long time. I don't dig as much as I used to.

11 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

I got to stop buying stuff to flip. I'm sitting on 2,000 records that I need to eventually unload. I do 4-5 record shows a year, but I consistently buy.

Yep. I cut my collection in half twice. Second time I let go of a lot of jazz and soul that I didn't necessarily "need". Local store "Groove Merchant" bought up a lot of it and probably priced it for triple. They got some deals, but I knew what was what on pricing, so I was fine with my pile of cash.😎

• 1 month later...

This is a bit of a departure from my normal contributions to this thread. I don't think I understood what 'Northern Soul' meant for a long time. In the early 2000's, I'd see soul 45's classified by that name sell on eBay for outrageous prices. I kept thinking to myself, okay, I need to find those types of records, but nothing was outlined to help clarify what was or wasn't. I eventually bought enough and learned that it just meant music played in dance clubs in England during the late 60's and 70's. It was a style of music people seemed to enjoy at clubs. There was an emphasis on a fast tempos, hard beats, with excellent brass arrangements, and of course, it had to be dance-able. But there was also a component of playing lesser known songs instead of the hit records like had been the routine for many years.

I bought a few hundred 45's in a lot a while back and went through every 45 to see what was worth money. I got some stellar things that sold for big money, but came across this. At first, I couldn't understand why it would go for $40-80. The guy's voice shrills and his vibrato is weird. But I kept listening to the song. Something got stuck in my head. It has since become a favorite of mine. It just makes me so happy! I can finally see the appeal. Listen for yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ti0ehWO5QY

20 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

This is a bit of a departure from my normal contributions to this thread. I don't think I understood what 'Northern Soul' meant for a long time. In the early 2000's, I'd see soul 45's classified by that name sell on eBay for outrageous prices. I kept thinking to myself, okay, I need to find those types of records, but nothing was outlined to help clarify what was or wasn't. I eventually bought enough and learned that it just meant music played in dance clubs in England during the late 60's and 70's. It was a style of music people seemed to enjoy at clubs. There was an emphasis on a fast tempos, hard beats, with excellent brass arrangements, and of course, it had to be dance-able. But there was also a component of playing lesser known songs instead of the hit records like had been the routine for many years.

I bought a few hundred 45's in a lot a while back and went through every 45 to see what was worth money. I got some stellar things that sold for big money, but came across this. At first, I couldn't understand why it would go for $40-80. The guy's voice shrills and his vibrato is weird. But I kept listening to the song. Something got stuck in my head. It has since become a favorite of mine. It just makes me so happy! I can finally see the appeal. Listen for yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ti0ehWO5QY

Did you end up keeping it? It's tough to keep things sometimes when people are willing to pay a lot.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:43 PM, lexicondevil said:

Even though these guys sound more funky jazz, this thread needed to be bumped. Snagged that purple version, even though it was 'spensive with shipping.

https://sorcerers.bandcamp.com/album/in-search-of-the-lost-city-of-the-monkey-god

a4165069731_16.jpg

The more I listen to this, the more I think it could probably be filed under "exotica". Really enjoying it.

My label turned 8 on March 1st, so I'm celebrating with discounts.

For those who participate in this thread...

Butcher Brown - AfroKuti is 25% off all week with code "birthday" at checkout.

https://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/album/warhen031-afrokuti-a-tribute-to-fela

Also everything else is 25% off too so, y'know, go nuts!

On 3/1/2020 at 10:02 AM, lexicondevil said:

Did you end up keeping it? It's tough to keep things sometimes when people are willing to pay a lot.

That song plays solid VG, but the flip is thrashed and probably skips all over the place. I do have it in my for sale soul 45's box, but it's priced at $18. The way I was thinking about it was, "Okay, this is the side people want and  will pay for. But the flip is F so, maybe they'll pay half the going rate for an all around VG+ quality copy, That's a steal, but, you know, only half." I will keep it if it never sells.

Edited by somethingvinyl

• 2 months later...

When I sold records in Jackson, MS late last year, I picked up this Meters record for $10. I freaked because Meters records are never available for reasonable prices. But it has sat in my 'to be listened to' pile all this time because it's not one of their first four LP's which are the standouts. There are some weaker songs on here, for sure, but I might have found my favorite fucking Meters song in this jam here. Produced by the man himself, Allen Toussaint:

Edited by somethingvinyl

8 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

When I sold records in Jackson, MS late last year, I picked up this Meters record for $10. I freaked because Meters records are never available for reasonable prices. But it has sat in my 'to be listened to' pile all this time because it's not one of their first four LP's which are the standouts. There are some weaker songs on here, for sure, but I might have found my favorite fucking Meters song in this jam here. Produced by the man himself, Allen Toussaint:

Also has Hey Pocky A-Way which is one of my favs. Love The Meters!

On 5/15/2020 at 8:44 AM, bubb4 said:

Also has Hey Pocky A-Way which is one of my favs. Love The Meters!

I've lived in New Orleans for about 15 years so there are things like Hey Pocky A-Way and They All Ask'd For You which are just staples during anything associated with the city and we hear them day in and day out, like during Mardi Gras. It's one of those things that just becomes background at this point. I didn't realize it was on this album, which is interesting. Rejuvenation came out in 1974, but Pocky sounds older to me, like mid to late 60's.  So all that to say, I'm extremely tired of it at this point, haha.

• 3 months later...

This not about a soul record, but there's no garage thread. 

Found this NO garage single here in the NO this weekend. This band had a few singles, but not much else. This isn't the most sought after of their singles, but it's a good one. Nice fuzzy guitar break in the middle:

Here's the info:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Palace-Guards-Looking-Everywhere/release/6453636?ev=item-vc