SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't bought the new record by The War and Treaty yet, what is your problem? So much talent and honesty. Different variants out there and a signed one from Grimey's, though it's not letting me put my state in at checkout. You really need to watch this short performance.

https://stores.portmerch.com/thewarandtreaty/

Edited by lexicondevil

I gotta check out the War & Treaty, truly amazing humans so full of love. They played my record store last year and introduced themselves with big embracing hugs. I have a signed CD Healing Tide, they took it literal when my coworkers told them to sign it "to the guy behind the register". Glad they are getting some traction and have signed with Rounder for their new album.

9 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

I gotta check out the War & Treaty, truly amazing humans so full of love. They played my record store last year and introduced themselves with big embracing hugs. I have a signed CD Healing Tide, they took it literal when my coworkers told them to sign it "to the guy behind the register". Glad they are getting some traction and have signed with Rounder for their new album.

They really do seem like great people. We all need something positive to believe in, these days. The story MIchael told in the live video about dealing with depression was raw. Needed a tissue after that song intro and yet the song is somehow joyful.

43 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

They really do seem like great people. We all need something positive to believe in, these days. The story MIchael told in the live video about dealing with depression was raw. Needed a tissue after that song intro and yet the song is somehow joyful.

I found them to be very inspiring in their banter on stage when I saw them both in store and that evening at a local venue. They all just had great attitudes, and I'm glad they still have Max playing guitar, I had some great conversations, his eyes lit up when I told him the venue had a leslie amp they could plug into. That evening I saw 4 people carrying that monster out onto the stage and they sounded fantastic. If you want to see their in store, I guess it's been 2 years my how time flies 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I probably posted this before, but why not do it again? My buddy and I came across a once in a lifetime collection many years ago and we each got two or three sealed copies of this record. I still have one and probably sold the others for way less than what I could get now. Happy Saturday!

• 3 weeks later...

Keeping with Lexi's theme... I don't think I ever posted this. I found her LP in a big lot I got in 2019. The LP was OOP at one point and still pulls $300-400 regularly.  It's great soul but I'm definitely going to sell the LP eventually because it's not that great. However, this song is absolutely amazing. I'd like to find the 45 for cheap.

7 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

Keeping with Lexi's theme... I don't think I ever posted this. I found her LP in a big lot I got in 2019. The LP was OOP at one point and still pulls $300-400 regularly.  It's great soul but I'm definitely going to sell the LP eventually because it's not that great. However, this song is absolutely amazing. I'd like to find the 45 for cheap.

Funny, I just recently found out about this one. I was really into collecting Mainstream titles for a while, but never knew about this one. They do have a reissue of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to love the classic blues stuff but the pre war Delta blues is very boring. Same with the country blues (especially Louisiana's stuff). The Chicago electric blues is the most successful, and thus, most well-known. Found this great Howlin' Wolf 1957 single for the reasonable price of $10. Great tune:

• 6 months later...

I move to Texas last August and you fellas haven't posted. Sad. 

This is the first pricey 45 I found at an estate sale for $1. I hope it's a sign of things to come. It's not soul. Texas garage:

https://www.discogs.com/release/9533117-The-Sons-Of-Barbee-Doll-Psychedelic-Seat

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

I had to take care of some family stuff back home after I last posted. Was gone for nearly 5 months. Back to share a crazy cool soul gem from New Orleans's Allen Toussiant that deals with a similar subject:

Nice moody jam.

I've been keeping my eye out for this one, since my buddy played it for me. Not really willing to pay the asking prices, since I don't really DJ much anymore. It's just a frickin' strange song.

• 3 months later...

Don't know if I ever posted this before. If I did, it's been years. Found this one cheap in NOLA. Maybe $10 or less. Selling on Discogs for $100. Nice. I should sell it, right? Well, I play it from time to time. Soulful, tight, 70's funk. It's really good. What I'm more interested in now is finding the other stuff released on the label, Metro-Dome. When I bought it, never heard of the label. As you're aware, small label stuff can be terrible or excellent. Even though Discogs only has about five listings for this label, I'm particularly interested because it's a label out of San Antonio. There's got to be more. Being that I moved to Texas last year, and I'm unfamiliar with most of the music made in this area besides the mainstream artists, I'm obsessed with small labels of 60's-70's indie and underground music. Please enjoy!

Edited by somethingvinyl