SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2016 at 0:16 AM, somethingvinyl said:

It's definitely not cut and dry. But you know, where there's smoke. Here's a couple articles:

http://www.unkut.com/2014/02/is-aaron-fuchs-really-the-ultimate-bloodsucker-of-hip-hop/

http://www.offbeat.com/articles/whose-fault-is-it/

I don't know much about his dealings in rap. But what he did to New Orleans artists, Smokey Johnson, Wardell Quezergue, and the amazing, late, Eddie Bo was sell them on letting him have rights to their music and then stiffing them when they should get royalties. 

Damn. I had always wondered about that "Impeach the President" re-issue. Too bad, I remember Tuff City being a somewhat reputable label in the 90's. Interesting reads! 

16 hours ago, MartyK3000 said:

Damn. I had always wondered about that "Impeach the President" re-issue. Too bad, I remember Tuff City being a somewhat
reputable label in the 90's. Interesting reads! 

Yeah, I don't know if Aaron has always been shady or not. 

What Meters albums do you have?

1 hour ago, MartyK3000 said:

I have Fire in the Bayou an Struttin', both reissues. 

I have a copy of Fire on the Bayou but that one is not my favorite. I think my favorite is the debut album. A close second would be Struttin and I just happen to find one this weekend. It pays to be friends with the record store guys. I just got an in shrink 1st pressing that's in really great shape for $40. It's easily $100+ in great shape. Very lucky with that one.

On 9/1/2016 at 3:48 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

It's heeeere!

kba8f8.jpg

Looks sweet. How's it sound?

Though Nina Simone is considered a jazz artist, I also think of her as a soul singer, so there is a nice box set of her Philips years at B&N for a great deal if you use the 40% off code  D5X4N63AQBL3K . I think mine came out to 107 shipped. Great titles and the sound is supposedly good, per the Hoffman forum. I usually go for original pressings, but these titles are going up and up when nm. I don't think you will find a better deal.

Nina Simone The Philips Years on Limited Edition 180g 7LP Box Set

Nina Simone's combination of classical training, smokey-alto vocal delivery and the influence of modern jazz made her a novel and inspiring jazz singer and instrumentalist. And her very name is synonymous with the passion, talent and raw emotion that she put into every note she sang and played. The Phillips Years is a fine collection of seven albums released by Simone during her tenure on the label from 1964-1967. Simone's albums covered topics as diverse as romance, politics, Broadway, civil rights and more. The essential recordings included in this package areNina Simone in Concert (1964), Broadway-Blues-Ballads (1964), I Put a Spell on You (1965), Pastel Blues(1966), Let It All Out (1966), Wild is The Wind (1966) and High Priestess of Soul (1967). All albums comes pressed on 180 gram vinyl and are housed in a limited edition box set.

Features:
• Limited Edition 180g 7LP Box Set
• Collection of & albums released by Nina Simone during her Philips tenure from 1964-1967
• Featuring Nina Simone in Concert (1964), Broadway-Blues-Ballads (1964), I Put a Spell on You (1965), Pastel Blues (1966), Let It All Out (1966), Wild is The Wind (1966) and High Priestess of Soul (1967)

Edited by lexicondevil

50 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Looks sweet. How's it sound?

Though Nina Simone is considered a jazz artist, I also think of her as a soul singer, so there is a nice box set of her Philips years at B&N for a great deal if you use the 40% off code  D5X4N63AQBL3K . I think mine came out to 107 shipped. Great titles and the sound is supposedly good, per the Hoffman forum. I usually go for original pressings, but these titles are going up and up when nm. I don't think you will find a better deal.

Nina Simone The Philips Years on Limited Edition 180g 7LP Box Set

Nina Simone's combination of classical training, smokey-alto vocal delivery and the influence of modern jazz made her a novel and inspiring jazz singer and instrumentalist. And her very name is synonymous with the passion, talent and raw emotion that she put into every note she sang and played. The Phillips Years is a fine collection of seven albums released by Simone during her tenure on the label from 1964-1967. Simone's albums covered topics as diverse as romance, politics, Broadway, civil rights and more. The essential recordings included in this package areNina Simone in Concert (1964), Broadway-Blues-Ballads (1964), I Put a Spell on You (1965), Pastel Blues(1966), Let It All Out (1966), Wild is The Wind (1966) and High Priestess of Soul (1967). All albums comes pressed on 180 gram vinyl and are housed in a limited edition box set.

Features:
• Limited Edition 180g 7LP Box Set
• Collection of & albums released by Nina Simone during her Philips tenure from 1964-1967
• Featuring Nina Simone in Concert (1964), Broadway-Blues-Ballads (1964), I Put a Spell on You (1965), Pastel Blues (1966), Let It All Out (1966), Wild is The Wind (1966) and High Priestess of Soul (1967)

Sounds terrific!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2016 at 0:06 AM, docbronze said:

Ditto, Lex. I saw CB and SJ already this year and I still have one more SJ show to go in September!

Holy shit! Saw Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings last night and Sharon was on fire. Since she is doing chemo, she has her good and bad days. Last night she was feeling good and dancing up a storm. I don't know how a 60 year old woman fighting cancer can go up on a stage for two hours, dance in a sweatbox venue, sing her ass off, and still smile. She makes me feel like a real pussy. I always seem to be really tired the night I go see her and half wish I sold my ticket, until she hits the stage and by the end I am smiling and dancing. If you are able to see her play live, do whatever you can to see her while you still can. She is a living legend and you will be thankful that you had the opportunity to witness her in person.

Looking for some soul suggestions. I love the Leon Bridges album and saw a bunch of reviews stating it was like going back to the 60s with Otis Redding and Sam Cooke. So I decided I want to listen to some of their stuff. Any suggestions on must have albums from those 2 guys, or possibly other similar artists?