SOUL, FUNK, and BLUES Record Thread

• 1 month later...

There's a musician from NOLA called Louis Villery who was involved with a few bands. He formed this group called African Music Machine and laid down one of the funkiest NOLA tracks I've ever heard. And I found this clean 45 for super cheap:

I picked up their record "Black Water Gold" at a record store in Boston based solely on the cover. SUCH a good record.

Yeah, that Skull Snaps record is amazing.

Picked up some sealed reissues on ebay to sell and I think I'll end up keeping them. A seller had a bunch of cool shit sealed and to combine shipping I paid more than I should have for this. But it's so damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jSKl0-5AM

• 3 weeks later...

I read today about Cymande, which I'm sure a lot of us have heard of by now.  They are releasing a new album in November.  1st in nearly 4 decades.  These guys are widely respected.  Always a go to for me.

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-news/legendary-funk-band-cymande-to-release-their-first-album-in-four-decades/

Oldies, but goodies

I just read Kevin Parker of Tame Impala fame might be sued by Samm Culley, whom is a member of Skull Snaps, for not clearing a drum sample.  Parker says he made his own beat, for the song "Eventually"

http://pitchfork.com/news/60872-tame-impala-threatened-with-lawsuit-over-eventually/

Thanks for bringing Skull Snaps up!

• 2 weeks later...

Probably my favorite blues album:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005AY04?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

B.B. King - Live at the Regal - $19.99

I watched this for 6 months sit at $32, then drop to 20 but said they didn't know if they were getting anymore. Now there's a release date of September 18. Definitely worth grabbing!

Probably my favorite blues album:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005AY04?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

B.B. King - Live at the Regal - $19.99

I watched this for 6 months sit at $32, then drop to 20 but said they didn't know if they were getting anymore. Now there's a release date of September 18. Definitely worth grabbing!

Great record. I think $32 was a little insane considering it's not that hard to find. I would still need more info on the quality of the pressing even at $19.99. I'm wondering what their source was for this? Some people seem to think 180 gram is automatically better than anything else. This really does have all of his best songs and is a great recommendation.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got tickets to see C.W. Stoneking in May.

His album Gon' Boogaloo is one of my favorites of 2014. Everybody who is into old time spooky hokum bluesy & jazzy stuff should check this out. Really really great! His previous album Jungle Blues is an absolute masterpiece!!

Now the question.....where do I find these for a decent price...been trying to track down since u posted. Apparently his pressing for euro has been delayed due to pressing issues....

Guess I'll wait for us release but hot damn I would love to get all three of these without paying thru my nose. Thanks for the share. .definitely love this

Now the question.....where do I find these for a decent price...been trying to track down since u posted. Apparently his pressing for euro has been delayed due to pressing issues....

Guess I'll wait for us release but hot damn I would love to get all three of these without paying thru my nose. Thanks for the share. .definitely love this

I only have Jungle Blues on vinyl. I talked to him after the show he did in Belgium, asking about the Boogaloo vinyl. He said there were problems with every test pressing he got. I think he spent an hour and a half signing stuff and talking to people, right after the show. He signed me a poster which is pretty cool. It's the one below, but the European version.

Here's some posts he made on facebook, about the vinyl problems:

mSnBhpH.jpg

pRfPFzS.jpg

cw-stoneking-poster.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I finally got a holy grail of mine. And the wonderful guys at the record store let me use store credit to buy this pricey item. Written and produced by none other than NOLA's own Eddie Bo:

Nice. This is the one I would play if I were doing a DJ thing. I used to play every now and then for a while. I'd mostly play 60's-70's rare groove. This is one I would always play. Everyone's ass would be shaking.

Having a second TT and a mixer, that's what I need to start wrecking it. Lexi, did you like the Paul Humphrey? Why wouldn't you spin it? Too slow?

Oh yeah, I would play it. It is on the slower side, so I would use it as a builder. I like getting people on the floor with something they know like "Atomic Dog" and then dropping some funkyass rare jam that they don't know, but they are already groovin' and keep dancing. My group of record collector/amateur DJ friends could be snobby about only playing obscure funk and soul. I'd have no problem busting out a popular song if it got the crowd moving. I was playing at one club and dropped a Prince song and had the crowd all going, "Woo woo!" and my friends called me a "whore". All I know is after that I still had them dancing to "Funkiest Man Alive". Haven't done that in a long time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bumping this for somethingvinyl.:)

I need to get out to the swapmeet this summer to try and find me some rare, original soul gems. I just found out that there is a picture cover edition of "Foxy Girls in Oakland" by Rodger Collins. Now, my regular copy isn't good enough and I want that one, too!