PO: The National "trouble will find me"

I was one of the sleepy guys early on and didn't really come around on the album till a few weeks back (thought it was their weakest since the s/t)... still not sure if I'd put it any higher than second worst in their catalog, but I like it more each time i hear it.

anyway, long story, I jumped on the "rediscovered" stock just in case...

Can't decide if I like this album more than Boxer and High Violet, but it's certainly of the same caliber. (Worst album since S/T?! Insanity.)

Side 1 is outstanding, "Sea Of Love" was my early favorite, and now I think "Pink Rabbits" and "Hard To Find" might be their best closing combo to date. (Better than "England" and "Vanderlye"? Maybe...)

The box is so unique I can't really quibble over details... although it WILL be hard to keep this pristine. Anyone else considering just shelving the actual vinyl separately for easier access?

I've loved this album since it started streaming and am beyond excited that I was able to get the box set last week after missing out the first time around. Can't wait to see them at Outside Lands with Kronos Quartet!

So stoked for this set this weekend. The National --> D'Angelo (assuming he doesn't cancel) --> Paul McCartney is a helluva Friday night. 

Alligator is their peak so far, but Sad Songs --> High Violet is a hell of a run. I still feel like this one is too much mopey dad-rock, which they do very well (don't get me wrong), but it feels very long and samey and is lacking in the dynamic songs from their previous releases. 

maybe my opinion will change with 4 side breaks... will listen to the vinyl tonight.

just got my box in the mail and its absolutely thrashed. tried emailing matador direct (who did the shipping for this) and am waiting for a response from them about how they can handle this. really fucking bummed, as ive been waiting for this thing for soooo long. anyone else get a totally thrashed copy? did they do anything for you?  here are some pics:

1146713_10151694957453241_1374364847_n.j

1003197_10151694957473241_50092882_n.jpg

the corner is absolutely thrashed. i apologize if my wording isn't up to par for you, but that isnt a corner "ding". its bent, ripped and effects not only the casing, but the records themselves. not trying to be a dick here, but dismissing the issue as a corner ding is just not a very fair comment.

Side B of LP1 on my copy has some loud pops going across 2 songs that is obviously from a scratch in the record (but I can't see it because it's clear colored). I tried emailing 4AD twice through their "Contact Us" link on their website, and have gone ignored so far. 

Let us know if Matador Direct gets back to you. Sucks that I've waited so long for this record, and can't even enjoy it due to it being scratched. 

My package had a small corner ding, but only like 5% as bad as yours. I'd for sure try to get that exchanged if I were you, considering the price premium of this set is mostly in the packaging and artwork. 

I got my copy of the deluxe edition today. After seeing the other posts in this thread I was a little worried about it being damaged. Then, one of the corners of the box was quite smashed. When I opened it, it had a small ding, but nothing you wouldn't see even in the store.

Hope everyone who has had a problem with getting a damaged copy can get it resolved.

I'm glad this thread was bumped.

My boyfriend saw the standard version of this at our local store last night and contemplated buying it, but he decided against it.  Then I saw this thread pop up again so I showed him the photos that were posted in this thread and he went crazy for it and ordered it, haha. Fingers crossed that it turns up with no damage.