PO: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

i know, right? giving artists like daft punk, kanye west, beach house, and frank ocean stellar reviews. they're so dumb.

Never said they have never agreed with my musical tastes, mostly they're way off base though.  Also, I've got no interest in 1/2 of those musicians you listed...  Worst part is lately their fest lineups have been pretty awful

i know, right? giving artists like daft punk, kanye west, beach house, and frank ocean stellar reviews. they're so dumb.

Never said they have never agreed with my musical tastes, mostly they're way off base though.  Also, I've got no interest in 1/2 of those musicians you listed...  Worst part is lately their fest lineups have been pretty awful

Ya not great example artists, and this is one of the only Daft Punk albums they have given a good review.

They are just inconsistent.

Never said they have never agreed with my musical tastes, mostly they're way off base though. Also, I've got no interest in 1/2 of those musicians you listed... Worst part is lately their fest lineups have been pretty awful

Really? I thought last years was killer.

This year is lackluster though.

Really? I thought last years was killer.

This year is lackluster though.

TBH, I can't remember last year's lineup, could have been decent I guess for all I remember?  Then again I can't remember the last time i simply HAD to go to Pitchfork's Festival (probably over 4 years now).  This year is an absolute no-go with Phish being in town all 3 of those days (for me at least), even if the fest lineup was awesome.

I remember seeing a post on here that I really liked. It was something like, for how easy it is to stream a record these days do you even need to read a review? Can't you spend the 2 minutes it would take to read a review listening to two minutes of the album?

While true on paper, I agree with Root Bear: it comes down to why you want to read a review in the first place.  Your logic is spot-on for a first listen: it takes no more than a minute or two to find, stream, or obtain an album, these days.  Which is why I personally won't bother with reviews until well after I've familiarized myself with the album.  It interests me to read another perspective on a record that I'm familiar with.  Especially if that review conflicts with my opinion and is intelligently written.  I enjoy hearing different takes on tracks I think I've got all figured out, and also like to be challenged to hear or understand something I may have missed.  Outsider perspective always fascinate me.

But on topic... I got around to listening to this album for the first time, yesterday.  Twice.  So incredibly infectious.  There are maybe two or three tracks that currently strike me as meh, but all in all it's a fantastic record.

I know this qualifies as derailment but David Cross' Pitchfork "review" was hilarious and echoed the sentiments of many, including myself.

http://m.pitchfork.com/features/guest-lists/6044-david-cross-albums-to-listen-to-while-reading-overwrought-pitchfork-reviews/

word.  the review should just say "dunk punk?  this is the least punk record since green day's last album.  instead of collaborating with the likes of julian casablancas and pharrell williams, this french duo would be better served working with taylor swift and going back to punk's roots -- songs about failed relationships.  also, they should put studs and spikes on their helmets."

I enjoy this album, A LOT, and I didn't read any reviews. I'm not even a big fan of electronic music or Daft Punk in general. I've liked some of their past work, dug the Tron soundtrack and such. This is just a really well crafted album. The flow of the whole thing is excellent, and it comes off as a nice tip of the cap to the origins of the genre while exploring different sounds from different eras. 

As someone who is easily bored with electronic/dance music (or whatever you want to classify this as), I'm thoroughly enjoying it.