Your opinion please?

So recently I've noticed a lot of people selling their collections. If not whole collections they are putting LP's from recently broken up bands on ebay. For example, people putting up MCR LP's for close to 300 dollars. I'm pretty sure none of those records are even remotely close to worth that price. Not to mention they are selling it on ebay and advertising it on VC. And instead of selling it to a good VC member they just redirect them to a jacked ebay price. Does that piss anyone off? It bothers the hell out of me. Do you put behavior like this in the flipping category? just want to hear some opinions.

I personally just find it irritating for someone to not offer a fair price when on here. Or at least be honest why they are jacking it up. Some people come on here and are trying to sell records because they just had a kid, or a family member is sick or moving. I don't know I just feel insulted by people who are apart of this community who want to make a quick buck.

The new American War album is kicking my ass. Listened to it again all day in the back yard while rebuilding my fence. http://www.ifyoumakeit.com/album/american-war/symptoms/

But believe me, if he had just broken up . . With himself, and this had a physical release, I would be all over selling my collection. It would just be too sad to keep it.

I personally just find it irritating for someone to not offer a fair price when on here. Or at least be honest why they are jacking it up. Some people come on here and are trying to sell records because they just had a kid, or a family member is sick or moving. I don't know I just feel insulted by people who are apart of this community who want to make a quick buck.

I don't know why I could only think of this. . .

aside from all the smart-arse responses, i find that ignoring that nonsense and not buying into it makes for a happier day. ppl will pay those extortionate prices and that's their bag. if they have more dollars than sense, then so be it. when it comes to a band and/or label that one actually cares about, it can get ugly, because if you're like me, you dont have the cash to compete with those buyers. i used to let it get to me too, however, it seems that the majority of ppl in the record collecting community don't mind this flipping/extortionate price nonsense. :huh:

you gotta run with it. and whatever record you want, set up wantlists on ebay, discogs and as many boards as you can, and you'll eventually get the record. even if you have to wait a few years for it. for example, a record I'd been wanting for 5 years came up on discogs for the first time i've ever seen it, a couple of days ago. ended up costing $27 with shipping from Europe to Australia. bide yr time and you'll be right.

I'm not saying me. Jeez. People on here are a tad bit rude. I was just curious to see what people thought. I'm not worried about it and it is by far not the most pressing issue in my life, but just a little ridiculous. I just dont think people should take advantage of the market. And 

celebdeath 

Thank you for being the one person on here to give a legitimate response.

Me personally, I'm not gonna jack up a price for a record I dont listen to anymore to make money. fair prices if I sold them.

I'm not saying me. Jeez. People on here are a tad bit rude.

Welcome to VC. Better not make the same mistake I did and bring up anything about how people make bootleg records.

Also, agreed, this "price jacking" on bands that just broke up is ridiculous. Try being a fan of The Mars Volta.

dethrock, thats not what I mean. If the record is worth 50 thats the fair price, not ten. its different than selling the same record that normally goes for 50 for 150. Thats what i'm talking about.

but what if you're only willing to part with something for a certain price (say, $300) and otherwise you don't care if it sells?  if no one is willing to pay that price, you won't really be "selling" it for that price, right?  I don't have any records I really want to sell, but if someone will give me $1000 for one, I'd probably take that offer

Yep. It's true, it happens. I still feel there's a big difference between buying a record to flip immediately, and selling one you've owned for a decade. At any rate, if you're going to sell a record you want to make a profit on, do it on eBay with a $0.99 starting bid, no reserve, no BIN, and let it sell for what it sells for. (Sweet Jesus, can you imagine what's going to happen when Pearl Jam breaks up?!)

But, while we're at it, let's talk about if it's worth it to keep a record sealed, and what all our "white whale" records are. I am not serious.

Just because they're listing something on eBay or Discogs for $300 like you said, doesn't mean it's worth that much or that anyone will even buy it. I would guess they're either hoping for someone stupid enough to buy it (which if they're dumb enough to do it, too bad for them,) or hoping for a reasonable offer.

Don't worry, you're new, you'll eventually figure things out.