Audio-Technica AT-LP60- Platter Wobble, Belt Issue, or Just Plain Cheap?

I'm quite new to the world of vinyl and have limited knowledge about the mechanics of turntables in general.

Here's the deal.

This is my second LP-60 in less than a month and it seems either I'm not having the best of luck in purchasing a reasonably priced, entry-level turntable, or there is a defect with several units of this model. There is a very noticeable dip at a certain point of each revolution. I'm concerned for my records as my needle is dancing over each groove in a wave-like motion, swaying back and forth, yet providing what sounds like accurate pitch, tone, and speed. I'm betting most entry-level purchasers of these units are so enchanted with their new medium that things like this aren't noticed or addressed. I guess I'm partially guilty. I'm not finding tons of complaints about what I am experiencing with these 2 units, but I'm definitely not imagining this.

I tried re-adjusting the belt, checking for debris (despite its newness), and every other conceivable adjustment and inspection.  This is obviously not the desired performance of this machine, so I guess I'm forced to either chance the early degradation of my vinyl collection, or upgrade to an LP-120. I think I'll go with the latter as It seems to possess no redeeming quality, for me at least.

Lesson learned.

Has anyone else experienced complications with this model?

My model just came yesterday. I've played two albums on it.

Both my table and my buddy's table, both the LP60, do this and in both our cases, and yours, the music sounds fine. But I don't feel as if it would damage your records significantly since the music sounds good, it sounds like it's not digging in real hard. But I'm pretty new too.

Everyone on these boards wants to damn to hell the people who buy this table because it it's not a $400 table. It's like $85, and I just figure you get what you pay for. Obviously yes, the 120 is better, but only if you can afford it. But as for the records, I don't feel like it's significantly damaging.

Question, you've had two turntables by the same company turn out to be really shit quality, yet you want to give them a third chance at giving you a poor quality, albeit more expensive table. Why?

Why not choose one of the plethora of other brands out there, known for quality instead of a plastic piece of garbage?

OP is striving for creepy sig of the week. I think he wins.

I don't feel as if it would damage your records significantly since the music sounds good, it sounds like it's not digging in real hard. But I'm pretty new too.

Everyone on these boards wants to damn to hell the people who buy this table because it it's not a $400 table. It's like $85, and I just figure you get what you pay for. Obviously yes, the 120 is better, but only if you can afford it. But as for the records, I don't feel like it's significantly damaging.

Remind me in the future to never buy records from you. Opinions like this make me want to always buy new.

I can appreciate that $400 is a tough number to deal with but seriously, this is not an inexpensive hobby. How much performance do you really expect from a turntable that costs as much as four records? If you spend six months saving, and not buy like 15 records in that time you will find yourself able to afford a table which will last you many years, sound vastly superior, and give you the peace of mind that you're not ruining your expensive collection of records.

The least table I would suggest to a person really wanting to get into analog, would be entry level models from Rega, Music Hall or Pro-Ject.

These companies generally develop excellent turntable technologies for their top level setups and trickle it down towards the lower end of the lineup.

If you were a good friend of mine, I wouldn't let you buy a table till you were able to purchase a VPI Traveller at the very least :)

You can't enjoy the analog journey when you have to battle cheap build quality etc.  The equipment should get out of the way and do what it's designed to do.

The least table I would suggest to a person really wanting to get into analog, would be entry level models from Rega, Music Hall or Pro-Ject.

These companies generally develop excellent turntable technologies for their top level setups and trickle it down towards the lower end of the lineup.

If you were a good friend of mine, I wouldn't let you buy a table till you were able to purchase a VPI Traveller at the very least :)

You can't enjoy the analog journey when you have to battle cheap build quality etc.  The equipment should get out of the way and do what it's designed to do.

That's hilarious.  Like people are supposed to drop $1000 right off the bat on a turntable to begin a new potential hobby.  That MIGHT be a good idea if you knew you were going to be big into the hobby.  Hardly the sound advice to be giving a beginner though.

That's hilarious.  Like people are supposed to drop $1000 right off the bat on a turntable to begin a new potential hobby.  That MIGHT be a good idea if you knew you were going to be big into the hobby.  Hardly the sound advice to be giving a beginner though.

The lowest offerings from:

Rega = RP1 = $445

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Rega-Turntables

Pro-Ject = Essential = $299

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Pro-Ject-Turntables

MusicHall = MMF 2.2 = $449

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Music-Hall-Turntables

That is the minimum outlay to get into the hobby at a somewhat decent level.  Hardly laughable advice...below these price points, you are just struggling and spinning wheels like the OP.  You're dealing with quality issues, bad sound and just FIGHTING the format instead of enjoying it.

EDIT:  Most good friends of mine would definitely put out $1000 for a table if they really were getting into this hobby.

The lowest offerings from:

Rega = RP1 = $445

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Rega-Turntables

Pro-Ject = Essential = $299

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Pro-Ject-Turntables

MusicHall = MMF 2.2 = $449

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Music-Hall-Turntables

That is the minimum outlay to get into the hobby at a somewhat decent level.  Hardly laughable advice...below these price points, you are just struggling and spinning wheels like the OP.  You're dealing with quality issues, bad sound and just FIGHTING the format instead of enjoying it.

I was talking about the point you made about not letting a friend go for anything less than a VPI Traveler. $1000 is way too much money to be spending on a turntable if you're a beginner.   I agree with your posted minimum outlay's above though.  Assuming new of course.  Though I would replace the Essential with the Carbon if your other 2 offerings are also near $400.