Audio-Technica AT-LP60- Platter Wobble, Belt Issue, or Just Plain Cheap?

I was talking about the point you made about not letting a friend go for anything less than a VPI Traveler. $1000 is way too much money to be spending on a turntable if you're a beginner.   I agree with your posted minimum outlay's above though.  Assuming new of course.  Though I would replace the Essential with the Carbon if your other 2 offerings are also near $400.

I maintain that the minimum turntable I would suggest to a "good" friend of mine would be a VPI traveller or that level of table.  Being a "beginner" to me is a person who has little experience with analog.  It has nothing to do with monetary means.  

I maintain that the minimum turntable I would suggest to a "good" friend of mine would be a VPI traveller or that level of table.  Being a "beginner" to me is a person who has little experience with analog.  It has nothing to do with monetary means.  

Guess it would depend how into vinyl your "good" friend is?  I've got some good friends who don't even own turntables.  Maybe I'm being literal here and I do know what you mean if I kinda understand what you're implying here?  Thing is most people have a budget they need to work with.  If we didn't, everyone would own those fancy $300k turntables.  Not only that, but when you go ahead and save up for that VPI Traveler, now you also need to start saving up for the amp/speakers/preamp/headphones/cart/etc... to matchup with your VPI.  The ol' saying you're only as strong as your weakest link...  Now we're talking about forking over $3-4k total.  Stuff adds up if you've gotta start the whole process at once.  Especially since you've already entered into the high-end territory with your turntable purchase.

The great thing about that VPI traveller is that it is a source that would easily grow with whatever you put it up with.  As your amp/speakers/preamp/headphones/cart/etc. you can be assured that your source is up to it and will reveal those upgrades.  I'm from the camp of "source first" as you simply can't recover anything you lose at that point even if you had the absolute best preamp/amp in the world.

Yes, the system is only as strong as your weakest link, but can only be as good as the source feeding it.  The very minute you move from the source, EVERYTHING down the chain is about minimizing loss of signal (the reason we buy high quality cables/equipment etc.).

The great thing about that VPI traveller is that it is a source that would easily grow with whatever you put it up with.  As your amp/speakers/preamp/headphones/cart/etc. you can be assured that your source is up to it and will reveal those upgrades.  I'm from the camp of "source first" as you simply can't recover anything you lose at that point even if you had the absolute best preamp/amp in the world.

Yes, the system is only as strong as your weakest link, but can only be as good as the source feeding it.  The very minute you move from the source, EVERYTHING down the chain is about minimizing loss of signal (the reason we buy high quality cables/equipment etc.).

None of that would matter though if a beginner who purchased the Traveler right from the beginning, stops listening to their vinyl after a short while due to its inconveniences, for example. I agree that you start with your turntable first when upgrading your setup but you still need to know you're somebody that enjoys vinyl in the first place. Otherwise its a waste of a lot of money.