Misery Signals new album

Here's what Karl (the singer) wrote on Facebook:

"Keep in mind that we're attempting to fund a record. So, unfortunately, selling items at minimal markups wouldn't get us anywhere near our goal. The $50,000 includes the cost of having all the items in these packages manufactured as well. So it's not like at the end of the day
we're going to be handed 50 large in cash.
After all is said and done, we'll probably come away with 20K, which is standard for a recording budget, travel costs, living expenses while away from home, mix, master, etc."

They could, but why would you do that when you can milk 50K from your fans? Like he said, it's paying for the recording, living and traveling expenses, vinyl, shirts, etc.

This seems like absolute bullshit to me and I won't be supporting it.

Thanks for letting us know what you're not buying and why. It's really important to everyone.

Okay guy don't go digging through my post history only to prove nothing other than your misreading my post.

But seriously what is bullshit about crowd funding? How can that upset you but you willingly (I assume) support record labels who take advantage of their artists? I mean a $40 Alice in Chains pre-order sounds like some real bullshit (not that I bought it). How is a $30 pre-order bullshit? What wouldn't be bullshit? I know that's a lot of questions but I genuinely don't understand how this is a bad thing.

Personally I feel like an artist/band's ability to work independently from the exploitation of a record label is a wonderful thing. Maybe the fan-funding isn't the most ideal solution, but it's a step in the right direction.

I just don't think that a band sitting around and doing fuck all and letting their fans pay for everything makes sense. It probably makes sense to Misery Signals but as a fan, I don't agree with it.

I don't have a problem with this so called "crowd funding" when they aren't in the business of taking advantage of their fans. The lead singer Karl is from the city I live in and currently lives here. They haven't released a new album in 5 years I think it said and as far as I know, I don't think they've played a show here in that time.

If they thought the record labels were exploiting them, I don't see how this isn't them exploiting their fans. I'm not funding this (sorry, I'm sure me saying this will piss you off since you don't care) but I'll probably buy it when it has more of a widespread release.

Did you watch the video? They're putting a lot of time and effort into making this.

I'll admit that I have no idea how much it costs to record an album. But even if it isn't that much, do you think it's wrong if the guys in the band make a little money? Remember you're not just sending them money to record, you're getting the album. So the album sales are included in the $50,000.

But getting back to my point, if they do turn a profit, even a nice one, what's wrong with that?