[PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster

From my Pearl Jam review, it's fitting here.

"...As I've grown as an artist and musician I've also grown as a listener of music; I've learned that the musical world doesn't revolve around me and what I prefer to hear. Music being "good or bad" is a flawed idea. Artists make what they want to make and we either connect with it or we don't. Just because we relate to some songs more than others doesn't make the others less valid, we just don't understand them. In fact, we aren't meant to, and that's all right..."

Anytime an album receives as much praise as Sunbather has there will inevitably be a backlash. I love the album. We take this stuff way too personally.There wasn't a need to tell everyone to Fuck Off - I thought Sunbather blended genres in a unique and exciting way. His best of list is pretty poppy though  so I'm not surprised this didn't appeal to him.

Hell, right above this review he lists the Kurt Vile LP as boring as shit without ever having listened to it. Hard to take someone who judges music by it's cover seriously. So, why are folks giving someone who doesn't even take the time to listen to what he reviews so much time? 

Anytime an album receives as much praise as Sunbather has there will inevitably be a backlash. I love the album. We take this stuff way too personally.There wasn't a need to tell everyone to Fuck Off - I thought Sunbather blended genres in a unique and exciting way. His best of list is pretty poppy though  so I'm not surprised this didn't appeal to him.

Hell, right above this review he lists the Kurt Vile LP as boring as shit without ever having listened to it. Hard to take someone who judges music by it's cover seriously. So, why are folks giving someone who doesn't even take the time to listen to what he reviews so much time? 

this exactly

Guest Justin Maheiny

Sorry if this has been mentioned but....

I enjoy this album and good for them for getting Rollingstone's #1 metal album of 2013 but the Rollingstone write up says "Sunbather was a mind-blower, bowling over innocent listeners with fist-pumping hooks that wouldn't sound out of place on whatever U2 is finishing up."

What the hell? I don't know when the last time a U2 hook bowled over innocent listeners, but this is pretty much a terrible way to describe any thing you deem to be metal.

I just thought that was really funny.

Vice and Noisey have always been the worst. Sunbather was a good album. Sunbather was overhyped. This writer is a shithead. Everyone does not need to love every album you do. Is Survived By was a letdown. Deathwish is still one of the best labels around. Opinions are stupid.

• 4 weeks later...

just curious, is anyone else's splatter copy pretty bad as far as surface noise goes? it's not noticeable during most of the album just because of the sheer volume but the interludes have a lot of crackle

Mine is nearly unlistenable. I need to get a new copy.

Both splatter variants that I've played had popping and noise closer towards the center labels. It wasn't unlistenable but it was very apparent that they were there. The first track on each side of each disc sounded great. The imperfections were nearly identical on each variant.

• Derek™ changed the title to [PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster