[PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the bump but I have an odd question for people with more than one copy of this:

I've managed to track down all copies of the first, second and third press. After I've organized them and put them up in my shelf, I've noticed something weird: the jacket is differently colored. Especially when you look at them next to each other you can really see that some of them are brighter than others. Now I'm not sure if it's because they were just laying in the sun somewhere (no pun intended), if it's just a print issue or if it's even a decision by Deathwish to change the color slightly for the third press or whatever. Anyone else noticed this so far?

Sorry again for asking a weird question but I thought a place with people coming together to talk about different vinyl colors would be a good place.

Sorry for the bump but I have an odd question for people with more than one copy of this:

I've managed to track down all copies of the first, second and third press. After I've organized them and put them up in my shelf, I've noticed something weird: the jacket is differently colored. Especially when you look at them next to each other you can really see that some of them are brighter than others. Now I'm not sure if it's because they were just laying in the sun somewhere (no pun intended), if it's just a print issue or if it's even a decision by Deathwish to change the color slightly for the third press or whatever. Anyone else noticed this so far?

Sorry again for asking a weird question but I thought a place with people coming together to talk about different vinyl colors would be a good place.

In the tech world, they would refer to this as a "known issue"

The difference is slight, VERY slight, so only really noticeable when you compare next to each other.  

See also, 1st and 2nd press of Harm's Way "Blinded" 12"

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, tre said:

Over $100 already with 4 days still to go... Not sure my bank balance can stretch that far right now, unfortunately.

Enjoy, whoever wins it! :)

On 3/9/2016 at 4:48 PM, tre said:

In the tech world, they would refer to this as a "known issue"

The difference is slight, VERY slight, so only really noticeable when you compare next to each other.  

See also, 1st and 2nd press of Harm's Way "Blinded" 12"

Or a "non-issue"

• 5 months later...

Who the fuck is Rita Springer?  Why is this a Christian Rock album?  Does Nick know about this?  Is it grounds for a lawsuit?  All the juicy questions.

51IVF8un7mL._SS500.jpg

Wew.

She (or whoever "designed" that cover) didn't even fucking try.  The amount of letters and spacing didn't add up, so they opted to have her name and logo take up 2 slots?  As someone who appreciates practical design, this is hilarious.  "We'll just invert the colors so it's pink on white instead of white on pink.  That'll keep us from getting sued."

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Who the fuck is Rita Springer?  Why is this a Christian Rock album?  Does Nick know about this?  Is it grounds for a lawsuit?  All the juicy questions.

51IVF8un7mL._SS500.jpg

Wew.

She (or whoever "designed" that cover) didn't even fucking try.  The amount of letters and spacing didn't add up, so they opted to have her name and logo take up 2 slots?  As someone who appreciates practical design, this is hilarious.  "We'll just invert the colors so it's pink on white instead of white on pink.  That'll keep us from getting sued."

Wow. What a cunt. Hopefully this will come to the appropriate persons attention.

53 minutes ago, ethereal said:

I remember nick giving away the sunbather typeface publicly for free, no?

I can't recall the incident right now, but anyway this is not only about the typeface but about the whole layout. They copied pretty much everything, just with subpar shitty execution.

Yeah, basically what poweredbytrust said.

I'm not sure about the current state of the font, but I do know that it had a fee attached to it back in the day.  If it was given away for free, there were probably stipulations about utilizing it for commercial use – which this constitutes, seeing as its the cover of a product that can be purchased.  What's more is that they didn't even try to hide the 3x3 letter arrangement or the color scheme.  It's just embarrassing.  I legitimately thought it was a parody album cover when I saw it.

Meh. That's not the same font. And there are plenty of typefaces of that style, Deafheaven doesn't own it. So I guess the real crime is stacking the letters like she did. Probably because she thought she could sway some blackgaze fans to her sweet, mellow, singer-songwriter vibes.

• Derek™ changed the title to [PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster