[PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster

1 hour ago, Sad Heart said:

I sold a rare(r) variant a long time ago and have been meaning to get this, so now is a perfect time. Grabbed the vertigo variant since it’s cool enough to justify $30 for. Probably gonna get that pocket tee later since it’s pretty rad, but can wait on that. 

I had the /300 one and sold it years ago when I needed money. I’ve always regretted it and never picked up another copy. Bummed I missed the DW variant though.

2 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

I had the /300 one and sold it years ago when I needed money. I’ve always regretted it and never picked up another copy. Bummed I missed the DW variant though.

Still available in the EU store if that’s an option:

https://deathwishinc.eu/collections/deafheaven/products/deafheaven-sunbather-10th-anniversary-remix-remaster

16 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Anyone know where that clear w/Pink blob and Black Splatter is? See it on DW homepage. Could be cool for the art as well.

Revolver Exclusive:

https://shop.revolvermag.com/products/deafheaven-sunbather-2lp-limited-edition-only-750-made-yellow-in-beer-pink-in-transparent-w-black-splatter-vinyl

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was hopping between the old tracks and the newly remastered tracks on Youtube. Can't say that I agree with that assessment (though clearly Youtube quality for tracks that were posted 10 years ago can be questionable). The only difference I was hearing is the new version sounds more polished. The old version has this static-ness over the music, almost like a lo-fi vibe. The remaster takes that away. (Sorry, not a seasoned music reviewer so that's the best way I can describe it.) Either way, not enough of a difference for a double dip on this one for me. Seems the few reviews that are posted on Discogs confirms the same; minimal difference to the OG press.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 10:29 AM, Billich0986 said:

I was hopping between the old tracks and the newly remastered tracks on Youtube. Can't say that I agree with that assessment (though clearly Youtube quality for tracks that were posted 10 years ago can be questionable). The only difference I was hearing is the new version sounds more polished. The old version has this static-ness over the music, almost like a lo-fi vibe. The remaster takes that away. (Sorry, not a seasoned music reviewer so that's the best way I can describe it.) Either way, not enough of a difference for a double dip on this one for me. Seems the few reviews that are posted on Discogs confirms the same; minimal difference to the OG press.

My biggest take-away is that this new master has a significantly lower bass response.  It's like they clipped out the low end, which I think is what gives it a cleaner overall presentation.  It's fine, it's really not that different at all to me tho haha.  i'm not sure the lay person would be able to tell the difference. 

Got CLOBBERED at their show in Boston to get the tour variant tho.  All the Deafheaven shows I'd seen before were energetic, but in a "Lets all stand here and groove with our bodies" kind of way.  Boston was stage-dive city and I got a concussion from having 2 folks land square on my head.  It was like I was seeing Earth Crisis lol. 

• 2 months later...

Believe me or not, I have never heard "Sunbather", somehow it was beyond my interest. So I bought 10th Anniversary edition and spun it yesterday, it was really good. And today, looking at the turntable, something told me - "wasn't it supposed to be 45, by the way?" 😵

This way, I bought two albums at the same time - guess I like the second better, though.

10 hours ago, seku said:

Believe me or not, I have never heard "Sunbather", somehow it was beyond my interest. So I bought 10th Anniversary edition and spun it yesterday, it was really good. And today, looking at the turntable, something told me - "wasn't it supposed to be 45, by the way?" 😵

This way, I bought two albums at the same time - guess I like the second better, though.

I bought sunbather without listening to it first just after the initial hype of the album, and I listened to it a dozen times on 33.3 blown away by how heavy and sludgy it was until I realized it was pressed at 45. I ended up taking uncompressed WAVs of the album and making FLACs of it slowed down to match playing it at 33.3.

It’s still a genuinely great track (and album), too.  I know Sunbather wasn’t the very first album to merge black metal and shoegaze, but I think it was the first to do so with as much success as it saw.  It really put that sound on the map and kicked the door off its hinges for more “blackgaze” bands to enter the scene.

Sometimes I think back to this thread and all the VCers being hyped over the album’s teaser trailer, and singles as they dropped.  Such a rad time to be a part of the forums and collectively gush about the record, especially when POs went live.  I think they included immediately downloads for the entire album ahead of the release date.  I remember everyone being pretty stoked on the first listen and [rightfully] circle-jerking the album in this thread.  Really good times.  Somehow can’t believe it was a whole decade ago… while also, simultaneously, feeling it was even longer.  A lifetime ago.

Besides Infinite Granite, Sunbather is the only album of theirs I 100% get behind. It's so effing good. When they were first gaining notoriety upon it's release, I kind of fell in with the collective opinions of my friends who were "too kvlt to listen to Deafheaven" and how it was "Pitchfork metal", etc, etc. 

Then one day on my Tumblr feed I saw this meme, and found out it was a quote from Sunbather, so I HAD to give it a listen. Honestly, fuck my friends opinions on that one hahaha.

spacer.png