Do all records from victory records sound terrible, or just mine?

My black copy of TAYF sounds terrible, too. I bit the bullet and got the new Where You Want to Be pressing on tan and when I opened it the other day I thought it was going to be TAYF all over again because there was some excess wax around the edges and the center hole looked like it was drilled by a blind man. It sounds great though so I guess their pressings are a mixed bag.

I have the latest TAYF press on Victory's crown jewel clear with black smoke and it sounds fucking terrible. Been waiting for someone else to bring it up. I think quite a few people with the newer presses have distortion issues.

I haven't picked up a record from Victory since because of this. And now after hearing that the recent Bayside releases sound shitty too makes me wonder if they've let the quality dip.

I have this same pressing and I've only spun it during parties and shit, so after reading through this thread i decided to sit down and listen to it while playing some mlb 13. So far everything seems fine except the highs on the drums. All his splashes andopen hi hat hits sound Meh. But overall have no beef with this pressing and I'm on the b side. So i guess all victory pressing are truly a mixedbatch. Now it's time to go back and listen to my full collapse on yellow that i have :)

My black copy of TAYF sounds terrible, too. I bit the bullet and got the new Where You Want to Be pressing on tan and when I opened it the other day I thought it was going to be TAYF all over again because there was some excess wax around the edges and the center hole looked like it was drilled by a blind man. It sounds great though so I guess their pressings are a mixed bag.

Yeah it definitely seems like they are hit or miss, but I'm glad your tan sounds good because that was one of the reasons I started this thread haha I just got the tan one in too, and then I saw that hot topic was going to press one, so I was considering just selling it and waiting for the hot topic. I guess I'll give it a spin tonight or tomorrow to see how it sounds.

The tan one feels a lot better than my TAYF copy, but yeah, my center hole is pretty bad on it too haha

Your guess would be wrong. Victory has been putting records out since before you were born, give them a little credit.

Also keep in mind some of these records are on their 6th pressing at this point. I think the original pressings of Tell All Your Friends are mastered just slightly louder than the subsequent 2007 and on pressings but I can't really say one necessarily sounds better or worse. I've bought tons of records from victory over the years and have never had a problem with sound quality or even warping.

I know they've been in it for a while. But time spent putting out product doesn't mean it's of a good quality, if they've been putting out shitty sounding records for years.

I have been pretty pleased with victory pressings, it's the recordings and masterings they are responsible for that grind my gears. They don't exactly have the best reputation for SQ, and that's for a reason. It just doesn't sound like any care goes into their product, but that's my own personal opinion.

I'll be picking up a couple of victory titles on RSD, so I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the current state of things.

In regards to TAYF, it's just a really poorly recorded album. I have a copy from the second pressing I think, and it sounds only slightly worse than the CD version.

My white copy of "Where You Want to Be" is unlistenable, because they missed the centre by 1/2 inch.

The rest of the Victory releases I have are sub-par as well, but no worse than the average Fat release for example...

• 1 year later...

Old topic,

but I got the Silverstein repress, and: Discovering the Waterfront sounds ok, WBIEF sounds like shit.

I've been thinking about grabbing both of those, specifically DTW, so thanks for bumping this. Should I just avoid both in hopes of a better press, or at least grab DTW?

I've been thinking about grabbing both of those, specifically DTW, so thanks for bumping this. Should I just avoid both in hopes of a better press, or at least grab DTW?

First, avoid WBIEF, the sound is awful.

In DTW, the sound is a little bit distorted, but is listenable. I've to got 2 copies, because the first one was unplayable, the reason was:

the vinyl have an excess of wax hanging, and the hole in the center was completely messed up.

I would wait for other press, but this release could calm while you wait for the other pressing!

First, avoid WBIEF, the sound is awful.

In DTW, the sound is a little bit distorted, but is listenable. I've to got 2 copies, because the first one was unplayable, the reason was:

the vinyl have an excess of wax hanging, and the hole in the center was completely messed up.

I would wait for other press, but this release could calm while you wait for the other pressing!

I'll just wait. I was just browsing online the other night and came across DTW on vinyl, so I've been jamming it on Spotify a lot. Since I'm not new to Victory Records or their practices, I was skeptical about buying it. My TAYF sounds pretty fuckin' bad, grey marble/putty HT variant. My WYWB isn't bad though.

I'll just wait. I was just browsing online the other night and came across DTW on vinyl, so I've been jamming it on Spotify a lot. Since I'm not new to Victory Records or their practices, I was skeptical about buying it. My TAYF sounds pretty fuckin' bad, grey marble/putty HT variant. My WYWB isn't bad though.

They will repress "A Shipwreck in the Sand" on may or june, I hope that release sounds good at least.

• 1 month later...

I just opened my 2013 Streetlight Manifesto colored represses which i kept sealed until yesterday and am very disappointed with the overall quality. My "Everything goes numb" has the holes  a little messed up and my "Keasbey Nights" is supposed to be white but has black "smudge" over one side of the record. Worst of all some sections (maybe that's where it's most noticeable) sound like they were taken straight from bad 96 kbps mp3s. Gonna take a look and listen at "somewhere in the between" but I don't think it's gonna be any better.

Does anyone know if the ordinary black versions sound any better? 

I just opened my 2013 Streetlight Manifesto colored represses which i kept sealed until yesterday and am very disappointed with the overall quality. My "Everything goes numb" has the holes a little messed up and my "Keasbey Nights" is supposed to be white but has black "smudge" over one side of the record. Worst of all some sections (maybe that's where it's most noticeable) sound like they were taken straight from bad 96 kbps mp3s. Gonna take a look and listen at "somewhere in the between" but I don't think it's gonna be any better.

Does anyone know if the ordinary black versions sound any better?

Victory shit just kinda sucks usually, regardless of color I assume. I have no black Victory releases, so I can't say exactly.

Strange thing though, none of my Victory RSD15 releases sound bad at all. All on white wax too, which is usually noisey.

I do remember they sent me Catch 22's "Alone In A Crowd" on white wax which is from 2000 looks and sounds fine. I think they purposely made this sound shit because the band and the label aren't on best terms and have some legal stuff pending. Thinking about if I should try to get some older pressings and then sell the ones I have now.